• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY128: Decisive Rival Battle! Satoshi Gekkouga VS Mega Jukain!!

You know, I'm actually glad Team Rocket are at this league because if Satoshi wins the championship then I want them there to see it happen. They have been his longest travelling 'companions', after all.
It's funny because they root for him to win. In the first episode of Kalos League, they looked concerned when Ash was late to his first League battle and were thrilled when Ash made it in time.

I liked the episode. It was about time the league pulled itself together, and here it did it with very nice battles and a nice focus on direct rivals.

While the Sceptile vs Greninja wasn't bad I hoped more, there were too many long-rage attacks.

I don't mind the ties, something had to pay for those 7 minutes of preparation from the last episode.

The log physics is the only complaint I have about this episode, although the strategy to block King's Shield from activating was great. Other than that, it was a fantastic battle! I loved the aerial battle between Salamance and Noivern; it took me a while to remember that Noivern is part bat, so obscured vision isn't a problem for him XD Nice!

And gosh that Sceptile VS Greninja battle was so awesome! Just look how Shota was crying from all the intensity. Excellent animation and emotional balance here!

Last edited:
I liked the episode. It was about time the league pulled itself together, and here it did it with very nice battles and a nice focus on direct rivals.

While the Sceptile vs Greninja wasn't bad I hoped more, there were too many long-rage attacks.

I don't mind the ties, something had to pay for those 7 minutes of preparation from the last episode.

Sawyers sceptiles moveset was designed to counter greninja combat style that relies on closing the distance, and engaging opponents at close range. Which is why he utilized moves like....

- Dragon claw to counter water shuriken
- Razor leaf for close range
- Leaf storm for both mid range combat, and knocking greninja away
- Fenzy plant for long range pressure.

With this greninja had a very up hill battle from start to finish.

This episode was awesome! (y) The animation was gorgeous too.

This might sound odd, but I feel like the overwhelming positivity in regards to Ash during this episode is actually a bit forboding...

Sawyer's speech about how much Ash has meant to him, the bit where everyone is talking about what makes Ash so strong and how he won't give up, TR suggesting that he might finally win this time, the closeup shot of Serena blushing with pride...

It felt almost as if the show was saying, in a rather indirect way, 'What Could Possibly Go Wrong?' D: D: D: And the way Alain walked off-screen at the end gave me Tobias flashbacks...

Last edited:
Okay... This episode was the best league episode ever!

Pros:
1. The Ariel battle between Slamence and Noiven was what I wanted with Megazard X and Megazard Y, and it was too good!
2. We finally see Ash's mysterious strategies again! That tree stump/log sequence was just the thing I wanted after the boring physics class...
3. Sceptics and Greninja battle..
4. Pikachu is finally back! The pikachu-and-ash sequences were the thing which helped me to endure this ash-and-Greninja-bond thing...

Cons:
1. Goodra vs Slurpuff... Where was slurpuff's attract? And did goodra's rain dance vanish? It could have helped the goody pseudo to further endure those flame throwers.
And they were just standing on one spot for the whole battle, except for the time goodra rolled back..

2. This other problem is not only with this match. The anime team seems to remember how godly powerful are Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon. But they ALWAYS forget one thing: The RECHARGE needed after using these moves.
Mega Sceptile just fires a Frenzy plant, and Leaf storm in succession which is too wrong and OP against poor Greninja.

Side notes:
Overall, the episode was way too good, and the pros outweigh the cons greatly.

1. The Ash-Sawyer thingy when that Ash-Greninja transformation actually made me feel that Ash and Sawyer synchronised instead of Ash and Greninja...
New article to be made: Ashawyer shipping... :cautious:

2. More amourshipping... *sigh*

3. Did that shruiken grow yet again? I'm expecting that water shruiken to one day overgrow the Lumiose Conference Stadium...

EDIT: 4. Alain's look gave me the chills. It gave kinda tobias feel to him.

5. TRio mentioning that ash might win this time also looked pretty interesting, and looked like a possible foreshadowing.

both episodes were fantastic, full potential , hope they will save that for future battles also and not forget that the battles are very important for fans.
Good that they do diffrent battle grounds forest, rock, city .
Hope for ice , sand(with piramid), forest, rocks and ground, water battlegrounds in future.
We had in past not many ice and water battlefields for the league, but this time I understand that we had a ice gym and thats why we got forest, city and rock with waterfall.
Would be cool to have a water area in future.

Cons:
1. Goodra vs Slurpuff... Where was slurpuff's attract? And did goodra's rain dance vanish? It could have helped the goody pseudo to further endure those flame throwers.
And they were just standing on one spot for the whole battle, except for the time goodra rolled back.

Could have been better but they wanted to show how people react in steam of battle.
Hope they use rain dance against Allan right.
We got 2 draws, Talonflame got neutralized by Clawitzer, Aegislash(hope it gets more battle apperance in future, even in gyms and other leagues) was taken out by Pikachu, Slaking was Great and that final battle was awsome.
Hope they try to rotate final pokemon more in future battles.
Not that i like when strongest pokes go last, but sometimes it would be nice if they go first, third or on a other position.
L:iked the moves, abilities and type usage, good battle.
(repair Dragon Tail in the anime, it needs to switch out oponents)

Episode was great in terms of battle but for me making Shota real rival for Ash and giving him such powerful pokemon including OP Sceptile is asspull. He was practically noob all season and then suddenly we see him collecting all badges and beating Ash before the league. I still have a bad taste about him after all this. I think it was awful writing. Instead if they made Tierno the real rival for Ash instead of Shota it would've been much better. Tierno was far more matured and stronger trainer.

Kalos is much better than Unova but Shota is the biggest disappointment for me.

The Kalos League so far (not the whole season) is the 3rd worst league imo
The battle with Alain could bring it up to my top2, doubt its gonna be my top1, coz Sinnoh League is better from start to finish
I don't like how they handled Goodra's first match, even tho it is super weak to a fairy, it still beat Sawyer's weakest poke, the florges it faced in the forest is probably much stronger than that runt poke
I mean Gliscor (Sinnoh's Goodra) gets to beat paul's drapion w/c beat half of ashs team
And Ash is still partly idiotic, using goodra against a fairy?
I want to say that unlimited substituting is one of the biggest plothole in the anime, but it wasnt abused or taken advantage of any trainer lelz
And as much as I want ash to win against alain, i doubt it
Not bcoz of the "he wont ever win a league" reason, but bcoz of how Sawyer almost beat him
Alain's Charizard alone would sweep sawyer's entire team, if not then at least with help from metagross w/c is most likely a mega too
If I havent seen some news that alain would have a weavile and tyranitar, i woulda thought the 1st episode would only be vs metagross and the 2nd ep is vs charizard

The Kalos League so far (not the whole season) is the 3rd worst league imo
The battle with Alain could bring it up to my top2, doubt its gonna be my top1, coz Sinnoh League is better from start to finish
I don't like how they handled Goodra's first match, even tho it is super weak to a fairy, it still beat Sawyer's weakest poke, the florges it faced in the forest is probably much stronger than that runt poke
I mean Gliscor (Sinnoh's Goodra) gets to beat paul's drapion w/c beat half of ashs team
And Ash is still partly idiotic, using goodra against a fairy?
I want to say that unlimited substituting is one of the biggest plothole in the anime, but it wasnt abused or taken advantage of any trainer lelz
And as much as I want ash to win against alain, i doubt it
Not bcoz of the "he wont ever win a league" reason, but bcoz of how Sawyer almost beat him
Alain's Charizard alone would sweep sawyer's entire team, if not then at least with help from metagross w/c is most likely a mega too
If I havent seen some news that alain would have a weavile and tyranitar, i woulda thought the 1st episode would only be vs metagross and the 2nd ep is vs charizard
Indeed. Shota is much weaker than Alain and Charizard would beat Sceptile pretty easily. As I already mentioned the battle against Shota and his entire character left a bad taste for me. He shouldn't have been so strong rival for Ash. If we look at the finals with cold logic Ash would never win with his Kalos Team. But writers can make an asspull with Greninja.

Indeed. Shota is much weaker than Alain and Charizard would beat Sceptile pretty easily. As I already mentioned the battle against Shota and his entire character left a bad taste for me. He shouldn't have been so strong rival for Ash. If we look at the finals with cold logic Ash would never win with his Kalos Team. But writers can make an asspull with Greninja.

Yeah, and even tho greninja is my 2nd favorite poke, that asspull is probably gonna happen, with it beating 3 of his pokes
Before this episode aired, i actually thought Ash would still have 3 pokes (godra, godninja and pimpkachu) standing after greninja vs sceptile, woulda made more sense if he will ever beat Alain
Sawyer not fighting to get in the finals would still made sense, since it will be the 1st time sceptile would (have a chance) beat greninja in fullpower, that in itself is a great achievement for a noob fanboy like sawyer
How I wish the next episode's title refers to Ash recolecting all of his past memories in all leagues he participated, and realizing he can't win with his current team and it's the effin FINALS
And i want team rocket to burst in tears though if Ash would win the league, not the comedic-tears after Infernape beat Electivire

Yeah, and even tho greninja is my 2nd favorite poke, that asspull is probably gonna happen, with it beating 3 of his pokes
Before this episode aired, i actually thought Ash would still have 3 pokes (godra, godninja and pimpkachu) standing after greninja vs sceptile, woulda made more sense if he will ever beat Alain
Sawyer not fighting to get in the finals would still made sense, since it will be the 1st time sceptile would (have a chance) beat greninja in fullpower, that in itself is a great achievement for a noob fanboy like sawyer
How I wish the next episode's title refers to Ash recolecting all of his past memories in all leagues he participated, and realizing he can't win with his current team and it's the effin FINALS
And i want team rocket to burst in tears though if Ash would win the league, not the comedic-tears after Infernape beat Electivire
This battle can go the similar way as it was in Johto when Ash faced Gary. Charizard beat three of Gary pokes and that was when Ash had even Snorlax in his team. Gary was overal better but Ash's Charizard was too strong for him to handle. But this time we can't say that Greninja has any advantage against Alain and the battle between Metang and Noivern showed that Alain is stronger. Kinda hard to imagine Alain will lose four-five pokemon before Ash will be left only with Greninja.

The most WTF moment for me was when they showed us Shota giving a boss speach like he will be wating for Ash in the league, like he belived he will make it. I mean that was the most stupid writing moment for me.

The most WTF moment for me was when they showed us Shota giving a boss speach like he will be wating for Ash in the league, like he belived he will make it. I mean that was the most stupid writing moment for me.
It probably comes from Ash having 44 other badges throughout his previous journeys. Sawyer might have gotten eight Kalos badges before Ash but that's still dwarfed in comparison, which I'll admit contributed to me being rubbed the wrong way when he lucked out a win back in their last battle. Sawyer's been a good rival but I'd prefer Ash to have someone with equal experience dogging his heels next time, like in Sinnoh.

There is something people are forgetting about Sawyer, though. He has built his team specifically to counter Ash's team and strategies. This is what allowed him to go toe to toe with Ash, despite their experience gap. He was only thrown off by Goodra and didn't calculate the immense power boost of Ash-Greninja, but be sure that if he didn't specifically train his team to counter Ash the battle would have gone way differently, and Ash could have managed to beat him with way less Pokémon.

Besides, if Ash is capable to beat people with years of experience on their backs, I don't see why other Trainers aren't allowed to pull off similar feats, especially if said Trainers can actually improve a lot and have good battling skills and strategies.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom