• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY139: Farewell, Satoshi Gekkouga! Xerosicy's Counterattack!!

Hm. Lots of mixed emotions with this one.

The first one is anger unfortunately. I'm sorry, but Goodra's release was pathetic. This is probably the last time we're ever going to see him and that rushed, less and a minute, farewell scene was a horrible last note to remember him by. Dedenne and Goodra himself literally seemed to be the only one truly sad about saying goodbye, while the others didn't really seem to give a damn. I mean, I get that they didn't spend that much time together, but c'mon can there be a bit more emotion? The first release had more time and emotions but into it and it was probably already planned that Goodra would return. At the very least, I did like that Ash sent out his other team members to see Goodra off. But other than that, this left a really bad taste in my mouth...

Sorry for the mini rant. Moving on, seems like the vines are still alive. It was interesting to see that Greninja had the ability to sense them from within his PokeBall. I have to say, that was probably the least epic Ash-Greninja transformation ever. Which sucks since its possibly the last time we'll ever see it. I liked the method in which Clemont was kidnapped, with Xerosic just having Malamar pull him over with no warning.

I sort of liked Greninja following Xerosic by himself, like he was on a solo mission. Though part of me didn't like how distant he was from the group for most of the episode. Okay, I thought Xerosic was supposed to be some super genius. Why was he spamming Greninja with psychic attacks:/

Okay, Clemont is amazing. Seriously, I know I sometimes laugh at his little "I knew we'd face a situation like this" type of random inventions, but this was awesome. He straight up stopped himself from being brain washed. It's official, Clemont is my favorite male companion and one of my all time favorites overall. Geez, was Xerosic trying to avoid jail time by suicide? I was actually surprised that Clemont caught him. I thought they'd just let him fall.

Squishy returning is not something I would have expected. After his and Bonnie's super great farewell, its a bit odd to see him re-appear, and so soon. I enjoyed his moment with Bonnie once again. Now, I feel a lot of different ways about Greninja's release. I hate Greninja as a species, but it is sad to see Ash say goodbye to his only fully evolved water-type starter, especially when they had such a deep bond. But on the other hand, Greninja's story has been so good. He started out as a stubborn little Froakie who was an outcast among other members of his species and didn't get along well with his previous trainers. Now he's fully evolved with a special transformation that's only been seen once in thousands of years and is acting a the protector of an entire region with a Legendary Pokemon. Absolutely no Pokemon has had that much growth and development, so I can't feel upset about this release. If anything I'm happy for Greninja and the progress he's made. I was also happy to see Ash shed some tears and that once again he sent out his team to say goodbye to Greninja.

I'll give this a 9/10. Greninja's goodbye was very well done as were Clemont and Bonnie's moments, but I just can't forgive that pitiful release for Goodra. Props for releasing 2 Pokemon in one episode though.

Hm. Lots of mixed emotions with this one.

The first one is anger unfortunately. I'm sorry, but Goodra's release was pathetic. This is probably the last time we're ever going to see him and that rushed, less and a minute, farewell scene was a horrible last note to remember him by.

To be fair, Numelgon got the full goodbye treatment when it was released before. Showing it all over again would have just taken the time away from an already full-to-burst episode. Besides, I'm surprised we got as much as we did. I'd expected it to just be returned through a phone call and Poke Ball transfer to Kenzo with us just seeing the tail end of the conversation.

To be fair, Numelgon got the full goodbye treatment when it was released before. Showing it all over again would have just taken the time away from an already full-to-burst episode. Besides, I'm surprised we got as much as we did. I'd expected it to just be returned through a phone call and Poke Ball transfer to Kenzo with us just seeing the tail end of the conversation.

For me, the fact that it was the second, permanent release is what upsets me so much. This time, Goodra won't be coming back, and having his second goodbye less emotional than the first just seems wrong. I still think they could have dedicated a bit more time to it and carried out the rest of the plot just as well. In fact, there were several moments I found pretty pointless, that I feel could have been better spent on a more meaningful goodbye for Goodra. I know it's a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but that's just how I feel about it.

Two releases in one episode is not a tolerable thing in my opinion. It is not like Ash had ten pokemon like he did in Unova. He had only 6 in total for Kalos. That is a whole party with no reserves. There was no reason to release either of them.

This is kind of off topic, but what happened to the screenshots for this episode?

I hope that they fine a way to bring Greninja back in sun and moon and to make up for the series

Too many complains in a single day, second time since the Kalos League Finale, my reaction to all of that:
7nPIzZg.jpg
At the end of the day, I'm not even mad, we're ready for the big finale of Pokemon X&Y

Too many complains in a single day, second time since the Kalos League Finale, my reaction to all of that:
7nPIzZg.jpg
At the end of the day, I'm not even mad, we're ready for the big finale of Pokemon X&Y
If you're not mad, that's OK. But XY was the series that raised a lot of hopes and interests of a lot of viewers and the hopes were crushed in the end with the sheer disappointing end of XY. A series which was magnificent for most parts completely fell apart in the end. I personally want to give a standing ovation to the writers for the horrible way they ended XY. Lol!

If you're not mad, that's OK. But XY was the series that raised a lot of hopes and interests of a lot of viewers and the hopes were crushed in the end with the sheer disappointing end of XY. A series which was magnificent for most parts completely fell apart in the end. I personally want to give a standing ovation to the writers for the horrible way they ended XY. Lol!
That's true, that's why I only get excited for some things yet not get too much thrilled about others, but the way writers trolled all fans was just so, I dunno what to say, let's see what they do in SM, I'll give them a chance

That's true, that's why I only get excited for some things yet not get too much thrilled about others, but the way writers trolled all fans was just so, I dunno what to say, let's see what they do in SM, I'll give them a chance
I personally think that I have given the writers enough chances and that's why I'm quitting the Pokemon Anime. And talking about the SM anime, it looks horrible from the outset. Ash has terrible goofy and naive looks, he will be reset to a noob, go to school and not challenge gyms and compete in Leagues anymore. It seems like a slapstick comedy show. Watching the SM series will be pointless in my opinion.

So does this mean that Greninja will permanently be in its Ash-Greninja (Battle Bond) form?
Imagine if Ash was eating food and suddenly Greninja was punched in the stomach by an enemy....
that would be weird.

Well you never know, let's wait and see what happens
I've followed this wait and see policy with the Pokemon Anime for 16 years and have finally learnt my lesson. You can wait and see if you want, but I'm going to remain adamant in my decision of quitting the Pokemon Anime.

This episode embodied the continuous flaw of the Pokemon anime that will honestly never go away. Whenever Ash gets too strong they ship his powerful Pokemon off into the world pretending like they'll meet again. With the exception of a few powerhouses rotting away in Oak's lab, Ash has had a list of really powerful Pokemon sent packing because they made him too powerful. And we can't have Ash be too strong when he starts out a new region. Ash-Greninja was awesome and it sucks to see him go but in a way I feel like it's better to have this guy being a hero of Kalos than listening to Oak's ramblings.

The rest of the episode was pretty good. The finale episode next week looks far more promising than the rushed ending Iris and Cilan had and I really hope this excellent cast of characters gets the send off they deserve. Still really not hyped at all about the Sun and Moon anime (unlike my hype for the games which is a shame) but I suppose we'll just have to see how things go.

By the way, are we to assume after this episode that Lysandre really got killed by Zygarde? I mean if he got arrested this episode would have made a point to mention that, you would think.

Speaking of the SM anime, I was thinking after watching the episode tonight that the anime can either be a really bad attempt at a comedy OR potentially have an even more endearing storyline than XY. Up until now we've always had the formula where we get gym battles and than 10 episodes of Ash and friends wandering aimlessly, with occasional contests and side quests in between. Depending on what the SM games do with their story and whether the anime stays true to that like XY mostly did, the SM anime could potentially be really good. But on the flipside if we get too many episodes of Ash doing stupid random stuff the series can fall apart really quickly without gym battles to look forward to.

*Sigh* So Satoshi's ending his Kalos quest with only 3 Pokemon? Really?
I know and agree Gekkougahara Miaya's departure was emotional and all, but with no build-up it felt way too forced, I'd say in the same level of Numelgon. It seemed as the writers wanted to get rid of him but had no time to do so in a good way, so they crammed in the end that Puni-chan's appearance.

Anyway something I'm wondering, is that Calamanero that Xerocity used the same evil one who had that rivarly with Kojirou's Maiika? If not, then it (along with its friends)'s plot was abandoned?

*Sigh* So Satoshi's ending his Kalos quest with only 3 Pokemon? Really?
I know and agree Gekkougahara Miaya's departure was emotional and all, but with no build-up it felt way too forced, I'd say in the same level of Numelgon. It seemed as the writers wanted to get rid of him but had no time to do so in a good way, so they crammed in the end that Puni-chan's appearance.

Anyway something I'm wondering, is that Calamanero that Xerocity used the same evil one who had that rivarly with Kojirou's Maiika? If not, then it (along with its friends)'s plot was abandoned?

I like the DR3 reference there. Also, that was never said in the episode.

Instead of Greninja leaving with the Zygardes, Ash should have received a fan letter in this episode from a kid named Sun who just moved to Alola. Ash would then have been so inspired by this that he ran to the nearest postal office to send Sun his Greninja. That way Ash would have learned about Alola here and chances would be he would encounter Greninja again in Alola!

But in all seriousness, I can understand why people are upset. I'm not hugely upset myself, because we probably wouldn't have seen much of Greninja anyway if he left it with Oak. But yeah, building Greninja up as his most important Pokémon ever besides Pikachu (seriously, Greninja took the spotlight over Pikachu as Ash's most powerful and most used Pokémon several times during XY) and then suddenly leaving him with the Zygardes is just maddening. Now we just need a spin-off series called Cellblobs and Ninjafrog: Protectors of Kalos.

Something in me is saying Ash will see Greninja again. He's seen Lapras again, so there's something. Greninja is certainly a whole lot more important than Lapras. But then there's also the promise he made to Pidgeot... idk, it's storyline has come full circle but it would make sense if Greninja showed up again somewhere in the future. It has made such an impact on the series and on fans, so the writers can't ignore it.

There could still be a chance that Greninja will return with Ash once the order in Kalos is fully restored. Who knows, he could use his bond to find Ash in Alola. After all, Greninja is a Water-type, so it shouldn't have issues reaching an archipelago, right?

Or at least, I hope this is the case. It would be a shame if one of the coolest Pokémon ever obtained by Ash left forever…

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom