• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

^I think DP being bad is a pretty uncontroversial opinion now; it was Platinum and HG/SS people loved.

- If the person thinks DP is pretty bad, he/she certainly won't love Platinum, which is still an improved version of the original game, the famous (or infamous) third version.

Last edited:
i think you can probably enjoy platinum even if you dont like the original diamond and pearl. platinum is still slow as hell... but on the plus side, the poketch is not pain anymore! which makes the game like 65% better.

I don't think this is too controversial considering I've seen people say the same but I don't like the approach to starter designs from later gens. (Around Gen 7 or so.)

How did we go from more monstrous-designs like Charizard, Venusaur, Feraligatr, Torterra and Emboar for example to stuff like Delphox, Incineroar, Inteleon and Cinderace? What saddens me even more is that the 'furry Starters' are insanely popular too so GF has little reason to do design them differently.

i think you can probably enjoy platinum even if you dont like the original diamond and pearl. platinum is still slow as hell... but on the plus side, the poketch is not pain anymore! which makes the game like 65% better.
Well, not much if you bought the originals... Sorry if I sound bitter, but when that situation has happened to you in the double digits (thanks Street Fighter II!), it's kinda hard to enjoy...

I'd say this makes at most 10% better, since I'd rather there were no Pokétech.

the poketch is pretty useful though. shows you your teams status without needing to check the party, and the map that shows where roaming pokemon are is like the best thing ever for roaming mons. oh, the step counter is pretty great too. some of the apps are really unnecessary though. why the hell do we have a coin flip app again?

I don't think this is too controversial considering I've seen people say the same but I don't like the approach to starter designs from later gens. (Around Gen 7 or so.) How did we go from more monstrous-designs like Charizard, Venusaur, Feraligatr, Torterra and Emboar for example to stuff like Delphox, Incineroar, Inteleon and Cinderace? What saddens me even more is that the 'furry Starters' are insanely popular too so GF has little reason to do design them differently.

- In my opinion Inceneroar is quite monstrous, reason why it has the ability to intimidate, or does the fact that it has fur diminish its ferocity? The sixth generation has Chesnaught, whose design is absurdly "monstrous" Lol. And neither Delphox and Greninja are cute Pokémons. I completely agree that there is no monster design in Gen 8, although Rillaboom does have an empowered design. And well we've had full evolution staters with cute and pretty designs since the second generation (Meganium), and typlosion is far from monstrous. However, in part, I agree with your opinion

the poketch is pretty useful though. shows you your teams status without needing to check the party, and the map that shows where roaming pokemon are is like the best thing ever for roaming mons. oh, the step counter is pretty great too. some of the apps are really unnecessary though. why the hell do we have a coin flip app again?

I know that Pokétch has its uses, but personally I've always found a second screen a nuisance. In addition to the graphical improvements, this is one of the factors that made me very happy that Pokémon migrated to the switch.

Last edited:
In my opinion Inceneroar is quite monstrous, reason why it has the ability to intimidate, or does the fact that it has fur diminish its ferocity? The sixth generation has Chesnaught whose design is absurdly "monstrous" Lol. And neither Delphox and Greninja are cute pokemons. I completely agree that there is no monster design in Gen 8, although Rillaboom does have an empowered design. And well we've had full evolution staters with cute and pretty designs since the second generation (Meganium), and typlosion is far from monstrous. However, in part, I agree with your opinion
Have you seen the lower half of Incineroar's body? Lol. If it continued on like the upperhalf it would likely be monstrous yeah, but now with those arms and the lower body it's definitely a furry mon that jumped out of a cartoon.

Have you seen the lower half of Incineroar's body? Lol. If it continued on like the upperhalf it would likely be monstrous yeah, but now with those arms and the lower body it's definitely a furry mon that jumped out of a cartoon.

That's because you haven't heavily trained yours. I always say, you shouldn't just work out the upper limbs Lol.

Attachments

• Inceneroar.jpg
    Inceneroar.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 34
I think that what @RK9 means by "monstruous" is just "not overtly humanoid", and yeah, it's undoubtedly true that starters have been getting more and more humanoid with the passing Generations. Blaziken was the first true case of a "furry mon Starter", but it was largely easy to ignore due to being an exception rather than a rule back then, as Blaziken was accompanied by two more animalistic Starters. It wasn't until Gen 6 that all the members of a starter trio becoming humanoids really became a trend.

Personally, I don't have any issues with the anthro starters so long as their designs are good. I actually did like the Gen 6 and 7 starters, as I feel they had a lot of personality and all took good advantage of the anatomies of the animals they were based on in their designs (Greninja's tongue scarf for example may be gross for a lot of people, but I kinda like that because it's a visual reminder that yes, this is is indeed a frog at the end of the day, not a human in a frog costume). The Gen 8 starters I feel are the weakest trio of the bunch because they take the "human in a fuzzy costume" feel too far. I don't hate them, but I feel their designs are not as strong and cohesive as those of the previous starter sets.

Last edited:
I think that what @RK9 means by "monstruous" is just "not overtly humanoid"

Ah yes, RK9 should have been a little more precise in what it said. I was understanding that the starters final evolution used to have wilder characteristics, while now they were more cuter, fluffy and friendly. And this grosser and wilder appearance I believe that only occurred, in its entirety, in the first generation. Or maybe in the fourth and fifth too.

Personally, I think Pokemon has always leaned into a kinda "cute" aesthetic anyway. Yes, some designs are much more conventionally cute than others but I'd argue that even the "ugly" ones like Barbaracle and Garbodor have a bit of a cutesy, minimalistic feel. Yes, by Pokemon standards those two aren't exactly pretty, but compared to monster designs from franchises with an aesthetic that actually is meant to evoke revulsion and horror they look downright cuddly.

even the "ugly" ones like Barbaracle and Garbodor have a bit of a cutesy, minimalistic feel. Yes, by Pokemon standards those two aren't exactly pretty, but compared to monster designs from franchises with an aesthetic that actually is meant to evoke revulsion and horror they look downright cuddly.
Yeah, imagine if instead of Garbodor something like this came out of your opponent's PokéBall. :sick:

1647465292433.png

That image is proof that if pokemon were to start doing armored humanoid warriors and sapient military or industrial equipment, you could still tell it apart from it's infamous rival.

That image is proof that if pokemon were to start doing armored humanoid warriors and sapient military or industrial equipment, you could still tell it apart from it's infamous rival.
That'll be due to the difference in Ken Sugimori and Kenji Watanabe's drawing styles. It's very clear that even when they design a 'mon based on the same animal or mythic creature (e.g Drowzee vs Bakumon) that they will still look completely different. :unsure:

TBF, numerous you know what's have natural anatomy repurposed into or wielded like weapons.

Also, it's high time we get some demon pokemon. Like, an actual big red devil or something. Impidimp was cool, but then he just turned into a bridge troll. I wan to see bat wings, goat legs, and ram horns.

Personally, I think Pokemon has always leaned into a kinda "cute" aesthetic anyway. Yes, some designs are much more conventionally cute than others but I'd argue that even the "ugly" ones like Barbaracle and Garbodor have a bit of a cutesy, minimalistic feel. Yes, by Pokemon standards those two aren't exactly pretty, but compared to monster designs from franchises with an aesthetic that actually is meant to evoke revulsion and horror they look downright cuddly.
I think one of the few that isn't cuted up is Eternatus, who looks not too far from a more standard JRPG boss.

I think one of the few that isn't cuted up is Eternatus, who looks not too far from a more standard JRPG boss.
Well, that and the Ultra Beasts, whose entire point is that they're completely alien Pokemon or Pokemon-like creatures, so of course they differ wildly from the usual style.

Legendary Pokemon are boring as **** and the franchise would be better off without them. They skew the game unfairly. Instead, they should introduce uncatchable enemies which are so creepy you wouldn't want them on your team. Yeah, basically bosses like aliens from BW2 movie studio
The longer I stay involved in the series the more I agree with this, and it’s more than me being personally uncomfortable with the “PokeGods” expansion in Gen 4.

One of the big draws away from competitive for me is that pretty much every team has to have at least one legendary in order to be viable. It’s not so much a balance thing, since tiers would still exist even with legendaries gone, but it completely breaks the immersion for me since these legendary Pokémon are supposed to be one-off world shapers and yet everybody has one? The one league I joined a few years ago had a “no legendaries” clause and I loved it.

Having the Ultra Beasts function similarly to the PokéStar Studios props would have been amazing imo.

Ultra Beasts are so garbage and bad designed. I can get behind the "alien thing", but c'mon, it can't be an excuse for their pathetic designs. When I look at Blacephalon an Guzzlord I can't feel nothing but sadness and disappointment. I was interested in them when they were speculated to be uncatchable encounters, since that could mean they could get away with some zany stuff (like Pokestar Studios). Thankfully they're tied to Alola and they will never show up again (I hope so).

Back
Top Bottom