• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Favorite New Creepy/Weird Pokedex Entries in Sun and Moon~

This one little addition to Drifloon's usual habit of trying (and failing) to abduct children from its Sun entry. I honestly had to check twice to see if I'd read it right.

Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children.

I have no words.

The Mega dex entries are especially chilling, especially after X/Y was all "Mega evolutions comes from your close bond!"

Yeah, our friendship turned my Salamence into a brutal blood soaked crescent, and broke my Glalie's jaw so bad it can't even eat. And that's before I get to how my Gyarados became a destruction machine, and how Aerodactyl is potentially in constant pain from mega evolving.

Yay friendship!

Mandibuzz probably already jump at the sounds of mourning Pokemon since it means something's just died. It sounds like Cubone mourn for much longer than other Pokemon.

This one little addition to Drifloon's usual habit of trying (and failing) to abduct children from its Sun entry. I honestly had to check twice to see if I'd read it right.

Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children.

I have no words.
heh, maybe it`s hinting at the origins of the Pokemon version of halloween too. Give kids sweets to fatten them up and make sure Drifloons won`t want to abduct them :p

The Mega dex entries are especially chilling, especially after X/Y was all "Mega evolutions comes from your close bond!"

Yeah, our friendship turned my Salamence into a brutal blood soaked crescent, and broke my Glalie's jaw so bad it can't even eat. And that's before I get to how my Gyarados became a destruction machine, and how Aerodactyl is potentially in constant pain from mega evolving.

Yay friendship!

Yeah but again, the entries that are more brutal tend to be for Pokémon that were already vicious to begin with. Aerodactyl and Gyarados have always been very violent in their Dex entries, and the bit about M-Aerodactyl being in pain is only said to be an in-universe theory for why it's so violent (but would we really expect any different from a Pokémon whose very first Dex entry talks about how it targets its prey's throat and tears it with its saw-like teeth?)

Mega Glalie's jaw being broken isn't new, either - they actually just lifted that bit from its description on the ORAS website, as they did for a few others. And if you ask me, it feels like an attempt at irony - regular Glalie's older entries say that it freezes its prey and eats them in a slow, leisurely fashion, so of course now M-Glalie can freeze prey in an instant... but cannot eat them afterward (and when you think about it, it's not like it would need to be, anyway - Mega Glalie don't exist in the wild, and Trainers surely aren't going to want it to be eating their opponents' Pokémon).

M-Gengar's says it doesn't have interest in opponents unless it sees them as prey, but several of Gengar's entries already talk about how it likes to stalk its prey and steal their life force. Now it's kind of obsessed with them. Pinsir has always been violent so M-Pinsir being violent isn't a surprise. Same for Metagross. Same for Salamence (it was always said to be hard to control and prone to rage - Mega Evolution just amplifies those traits).

M-Garchomp... I'll grant you that one. Previous entries only ever talked about how adept it is at flying except not actually. Melted scythe arms and resultant rage is new for it. As is M-Lucario's fighting style being "heartless."

M-Alakazam's entry isn't violent, M-Absol's isn't, M-Slowbro's isn't, M-Sableye's isn't, M-Sharpedo's sort of is but Sharpedo was always called "the bully of the sea" and it's a shark after all (and like Glalie, the information actually comes from the ORAS website, so it doesn't necessarily represent some paradigm shift about Mega Evolution that's new to SM).

Now, there are two that I do find interesting.

- Mega Kangaskhan's Moon entry says that it worries about its child's future because it's only good at fighting and nothing else. Which I guess is sort of maybe dark? But fits with Kangaskhan's motherly character, anyway. Plus, its Sun entry is more optimistic - it says that Mega Kangaskhan's power comes from the joy its mother experiences by seeing its child grow. I think if anything, the idea here is just to convey the complexities of parenthood.

- Scizor and Mega Scizor. There's "new" stuff about how Scizor's body is in danger of overheating (which it manages by flapping its wings), and how Scizor "smashes its prey mercilessly" with its pincers. But that's the entries for regular Scizor, not M-Scizor, and both of them just seem to build on previous entries. Scizor flapping its wings to modulate its body temperature was always there, it's just that now we know why it does that. And it was always said to be able to smash "any hard object to bits" with its pincers; the new entry just takes that to its logical conclusion. M-Scizor's entries just take these ideas even further. "In constant danger of overflow" (if it was bad enough for regular Scizor, then of course with Mega Evolution's energy...) and "[the pincers] can rip anything to shreds" (it's in line with "smashing any hard object").

Although you know... the thought that the immense energy of Mega Evolution has drawbacks or that it can be hard to control actually makes a lot of sense to me, especially in terms of why Mega Evolution requires a strong bond. If Pokémon are liable to become even more vicious upon Mega Evolving, or to lose control because of the excess power, then it probably would require a strong bond in order to keep them controlled in a battle. If I recall, the anime did something like that - Korrina's Mega Lucario would go berserk when she couldn't control it, right? Hell, I wouldn't really be surprised if this was something they'd intended to show in XY but, like many things in those games, just communicated it poorly. Essentially, Mega Evolutions does indeed offer great power to both the Trainer and the Pokémon - but the bond is absolutely necessary if they want it to work. They need to be bonded so that the Pokémon can obey its Trainer even with their impulses being amplified by Mega Evolution. And of course, whether or not you should take advantage of that power when its cast in that light also seems to fit with the grey morality of Infinity Energy (the power source that fuels Mega Evolution) - energy that is drawn from Pokémon but can lead to considerably advanced technological feats.

I have no words.

I'M SCREAMING~

Yay friendship!

The Mega Entries are especially brutal and you do raise a good point about the friendship resulting in these savages that may or may not also be in pain, too~ >____>

Add me to the list of having Primeape's Sun entry being my favorite, too. It's just so relatable that Primeape is like that; I totally understand where it's coming from.

I like the Araquanid one.
Little Pokemon gets drowned in Araquanid's bubble for no reason-- not food. Lolz.

I like the Araquanid one.
Little Pokemon gets drowned in Araquanid's bubble for no reason-- not food. Lolz.

Araquanid is weird:

> Sun entry: "It delivers headbutts with the water bubble on its head. Small Pokémon get sucked into the bubble, where they drown."

> Moon entry: "Despite what its appearance suggests, it cares for others. If it finds vulnerable, weak Pokémon, it protectively brings them into its water bubble."

So Pokémon that get sucked into its bubble drown, but it helps out weak Pokémon by sucking them into its bubble? Unless they're very vaguely implying that it mercy-kills them, this seems like a contradiction.

Araquanid is weird:

> Sun entry: "It delivers headbutts with the water bubble on its head. Small Pokémon get sucked into the bubble, where they drown."

> Moon entry: "Despite what its appearance suggests, it cares for others. If it finds vulnerable, weak Pokémon, it protectively brings them into its water bubble."

So Pokémon that get sucked into its bubble drown, but it helps out weak Pokémon by sucking them into its bubble? Unless they're very vaguely implying that it mercy-kills them, this seems like a contradiction.
I find it very sad. Basically, Araquanid wants to protect these weak Pokémon but ends up killing them.

I was shocked when I read Umbreon's. The past has just talked about how it can glow and how it has poisonous sweat or something. Now it talks about how Umbreon waits in the dark to attack and bite its prey in the neck.

LORDT, these entries are extreme~ :eek:

Araquanid is weird:

I find it very sad. Basically, Araquanid wants to protect these weak Pokémon but ends up killing them.

Yikes, that's pretty dark, too~ :eek: Never had read Araquanid~ Blatant mention of drowning always gets me shook as someone who can't swim~ XP

I love the more realistic entries that mention predation or other things of that nature. It makes pokemon feel more realistic and like they're real creatures instead of 'random critter in this grass for you to catch/grind for exp'.

I'm really hoping that all the other pokemon get entries like this for sun and moon. And not just rehashing the same pokedex entry over and over again. |: it's part of the reason I don't care for the national dex. Come on, gamefreak. It wouldn't kill you to tell us more about these pokemon every once in a while.

I think it was mareanies entry says it leaves a trail of corsola parts in its wake.
And if one shows up when your sos battling a corsola it attacks corsola instead of you...

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I like the theory that Rotom is deliberately exaggerating or making things up - we know it's supposed to be a trickster, and it manipulates appliances, so it would make sense that it's messing with the normal functioning of the Pokédex.

I'm actually coming around to these entries. At first I was rolling my eyes at the contrived "darkness", till I cottoned on to the idea that this is supposed to be the joke

Well I guess this would explain the revelation of mega evolution either putting pokemon in pain or making already agressive pokemon completely bloodthirsty (mega gyrados' entry comes to mind).

Well I guess this would explain the revelation of mega evolution either putting pokemon in pain or making already agressive pokemon completely bloodthirsty (mega gyrados' entry comes to mind).

The only one that's said to be in pain is Aerodactyl, and even that's only described as speculation.

Last edited:
If my Salamance risks turning on me and killing everything it sees after Mega Evolving, why should I take the risk?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom