• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2020 Anime might not see an English dub...

I think the lack of info might have to do with COVID 19. I know Funimation has put its dubs on hold because of it. Just a theory.

COVID has pretty much put the whole world at a standstill, so you're probably right. I wonder if they've even dubbed any of the episodes.

I wonder if they've even dubbed any of the episodes.
There was a tweet from Rodger Parsons from last year around November or December saying that they had started production on the dub for the new Pokémon season though since Sun & Moon hadn't finished the dub run yet and also for NDA reasons he deleted it afterwards.

I'm sure that they have dubbed some episodes by now. I remember a picture from one of the voice actresses that showed that they were working on an XY episode not too long after it premiered in Japan, so that could mean that they start working on these episodes sooner than we expect. I'm not sure if the lack of information would be due to the current virus situation, if only because we didn't know anything about it prior to it spreading across the US, but I'm sure that did affect the production. They obviously don't want a bunch of people to go in and out of the recording booths right now, so they're probably just doing as much work as they can at their homes instead.

I just hope they figure out a way to close the gap. I mean, they're obviously doing a hell of a lot better than they use to but it would be nice if they were streaming this show like most anime out there.

I imagine that Disney XD will have a couple of weeks of new episodes once the series premieres, depending on how many episodes they already have ready to air by the time it does premiere. That will probably shorten up the gap between the two versions a bit, so that might help.

I'm not sure if that would necessarily attract a lot more attention for HBO Max, especially when they're primarily focused on the brands and properties that WB owns or have more control over. Disney+ would make a bit more sense given that there is more kid and family friendly content on that streaming service.

I still firmly believe that Disney XD will continue to air the anime. Despite how they're just airing reruns now, I'll still see some general promotion for SM Ultra Legends and they made a new version of their anime block promo just a few weeks before the season ended. It wouldn't be impossible for the series to move to a streaming service, but I just find it extremely unlikely. The writing was all over the wall for Cartoon Network dropping the dub, but Disney XD still seems to be interested enough in the show to air promos for reruns, so I don't know if I can see them dropping the series at this point.

I only threw out HBO Max since it's launching in May. I'm 99.9% sure the new series will not land on there but it is worth bringing up.

I could see some kind of deal where new episodes debut on Disney XD then are put on Disney+ say a few days later to even a week later. And perhaps putting the back catalog on Disney+ as well. We shall see. Hopefully we'll get some kind of announcement within the next month or so.

Not 100% sure if this factors into anything or not, but I've been re-watching the series on demand (Disney XD has every episode available) and right now I'm up to BW: Rival Destinies, where all of the episodes are marked as available until August. The more recent a series you go to (so later in BW, XY, XYZ, SM, etc) the "dates available until" get later and later.

So I don't think the series is leaving Disney XD, though I suppose anything is possible.

Not 100% sure if this factors into anything or not, but I've been re-watching the series on demand (Disney XD has every episode available) and right now I'm up to BW: Rival Destinies, where all of the episodes are marked as available until August. The more recent a series you go to (so later in BW, XY, XYZ, SM, etc) the "dates available until" get later and later.

So I don't think the series is leaving Disney XD, though I suppose anything is possible.

That usually happens with these seasons. I think at one point they removed the Orange Islands and Johto League Champions seasons from my On Demand section. It doesn't take them long to put them back, especially for the later seasons. By contrast, Cartoon Network removed Pokemon from their channel's On Demand section a few weeks before they announced it was moving to Disney XD. Some XY episodes were still available On Demand, at least from my provider, but you had to search for it instead of being listed alongside other shows airing on Cartoon Network. The only noticeable difference I've seen with Disney XD is that they don't have any of the movies available On Demand and that isn't nearly as much of a problem by comparison.

It still isn't one hundred percent confirmed, but the combination of having promos for reruns and having pretty much every episode available On Demand makes it quite likely that Disney XD is still going to air the next series.

Speaking of Pokemon on demand... the way one access any of the series on DirecTV is just a mess. First you have to find the Disney XD on demand channel (1292). Okay that makes sense. On the main menu screen there the logo for Pokemon which again makes sense. So far so good. But... the sidebar... has Pokemon spelled as Pokn. Seriously. Pokn. And it's not like there's a lack of characters to have proper spelling as I see Yo-Kai Watch is there properly on the sidebar.

But....

It only gets worse.

Under the Pokemon logo it will only pull up Season 22 (Sun And Moon Ultra Legends).

Under Pokn then instead of showing seasons it will show episode 1 for each season in random order. So if you want Indigo League you have to find the first episode ("I Choose You") then you can from that episode pull up the entire season outside of obviously missing episodes... wait... there's MORE missing episodes that are oddly missing for NO reason here such as "The March of the Exeggutor Squad." So you can have the season downloaded which is fine yes it's awkward getting there. So you go watch and finish "I Choose You" which then goes to for... no reason... "Friends To The End." I'm NOT kidding. DirecTV jumps to the FINAL episode instead of the next episode "Pokemon Emergency!"

Also for some reason the artwork for Indigo League on DirecTV is a random picture from Sun And Moon. Because I clearly remember Rowlett being part of Indigo League. And Litten. And Popplio. They all appeared during Indigo League, right? I must of imagined that episode where they appeared in, right? Because according to DirecTV they appear in Indigo League.

So yes DirecTV's on demand for Pokn... I mean Pokemon... is awful.

Last edited:
I just hope they figure out a way to close the gap. I mean, they're obviously doing a hell of a lot better than they use to but it would be nice if they were streaming this show like most anime out there.

But there are only 19 episodes aired in Japan, is that long of a gap? tho I get your point that if the new series premiere in May or June or even July we'll be over 30 episodes behind.

The reason why there was no preview is because there is a big change in dubbing production going on behind the scenes, biggest since 2008.
Can't say much more, but there's your hint

I can't imagine this being a bad thing given the current state of the dub. If they removed goldfarb and Cathcart, the dub would actually be legitimately good.

The reason why there was no preview is because there is a big change in dubbing production going on behind the scenes, biggest since 2008.
Can't say much more, but there's your hint
I hope its for the good this time. How big can it be? Did some research: is there a new partner for the dub in producing the English adaptation? Or is there a company that went out of business?

Last edited:
I dont know what a big change can be tbh. The dub doesnt really have many issues (not that I am aware of)

Well that's certainly interesting. I wonder what kind of change could have happened behind the scenes. Maybe they're moving the dub production out of New York or making it a joint production with another studio so that they'd have more of a voice talent pool to choose from. I just hope all of the people working on the dub are still safe given the current situation.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom