• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A grey area of pokemon legitimacy

Broughy1322

Reaction score
What are people's opinions on what I'd consider a "grey area" of pokemon legitimacy, that is:
A hack is used to get into an area that would otherwise be unavailable due to missing an event. The pokemon in that area is then caught as normal.

An example of this would be an English Shiny Mew. If someone hacked the old sea map to get to faraway island on Emerald (as far as I know the event was only available in Japan years ago), then soft resetted until they found a shiny mew and caught it without using any hacks/cheats, would you consider this pokemon legit or not?

The pokemon itself hasn't been hacked, but the ability to get it has. The only time an AR would be used throughout the whole process is to get to the locked area, but nevertheless and AR has been used. It's this grey area I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on.

I have a bunch of "legal" mons...

in fact, my only legit event mon is an egg Giratina from SS where I used my mates legit arceus...I have a legal arceus from the hall of origin, a legal shaymin and a legal Darkrai....

I consider these mons legit as they themselves weren't hacked and there is no way of proving their method of obtaining was (except for the arceus because they never released the azure flute)

From what I hear, people like to ascribe a certain 'purity' to 'legit' Pokemon. Purity from the use of any tools or methods not coded into the game to obtain Pokemon. Even item hacking disqualifies a Pokemon from legitimacy. Therefore, such Pokemon as the one you described above would definitely never be considered legit.

Of course, no one can actually tell if a Pokemon is legit or not unless they actually saw you getting it so the whole point is rather moot. Yet, there are still people debating on even the ethics of wasting hours understanding, then exploiting RNG abuse. Imagine that. I suppose it bestows a certain lustre to the pointless labour people put in to getting desirable Pokemon the granola fashion, but then, nobody can tell that too so idk. Lol?

There really isn't much of a grey area, actually. It's either legit or it's not. You might be actually looking for 'legal' Pokemon (as Poster #2 mentioned), which in that case, is also rather less ambiguous on qualification.

As long as it is able to be obtained through legitimate means, it is automatically considered legal, sans certain technicalities. Whether you simply hacked them in or spent hours abusing the (pseudo)random number generator to achieve them is of no concern.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom