• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG130: Rival Battle! VS Masamune!!

The only way we'd see TR leaving is if they got their own spin-off. Repetitive or not, they're still the favourite characters.

Argy said:
I have to agree with Alfonso that it appears (not sure if it is really the case) that the series is setting up an exit for TR. If this is the case, I am conflicted. They are my favorite characters by far- I enjoy watching them every week. On the other hand, their role in the series has become pathetic and repetitive, and if they can leave in order for there to be a "fresher" antagonist, then it might be the right direction for the series, and I would approve of that.

Indeed. But...

...From what we've seen of the Houen League, and indeed, the Gradn Festival since it followed the same premise, the scriptwriters are now having a hard time finding a 'new' way of doing things. We had Richie in Kanto. Trinity in the Whirl Cup. Harrison in Johto. Shuu in the Grand Festival, and now Tetsuya in Houen. Would a new enemy be really that new, or would they simply be TR in a new 'guise?

They may be fresh for a few episodes, but after that... :p They can't do different. Look what happened to Butch and Cassidy.

See, I see parallels between this and what happened in the Silver Conference. People thought they were going to leave then because they had a successful business, and then they shot themselves in the feet over it.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
See, I see parallels between this and what happened in the Silver Conference. People thought they were going to leave then because they had a successful business, and then they shot themselves in the feet over it.

No, this is different. This isn't just TR having a successful business. This is having a character appear OUT OF NOWHERE, treat TR like royalty and offer them a glorious and successful future running a business. The Johto League didn't have any of that. Just TR doing well and then having Delibird come and take all their money away. :p There is no 'Delibird' here.

There is no reason for this- They are obviously leading up to *something*

Probably TR trying to get Pikachu then fluffing it up deliberately to protect their employer.

There are two routes they could go down here:

1) They go after Pikachu either at the end of the next ep or in the Enshida ep and when they see their Employer losing out because of it, they stop and either run off or get blasted off.

2) They do something that gets their employer in trouble somehow, to save him they go back to their old TR ways and sacrifice themselves. Ala Ignorance is Blissey.

I really couldn't see TR leaving any time at all, let alone soon. Like I said, whether it's repetitive or not, TR are in there as the main comedy relief and they're still successful at it. Because of this, they're the most popular characters in it. You don't get rid of your most popular characters unless you have a suicide wish.

Hardly the most popular characters, (As Uberly Awesome as they are. :p) as whenever there is a 'Who should go?' thread ANYWHERE, Team Rocket are the ones usually voted for.

To be honest, I wouldn't put it past the scriptwriters. Look what they did to Ash- He was a frikking prat back in the Kanto and Johto days, but at least I could laugh at him mockingly and wonder how the HELL he managed to do certain things. Now I find no fun in doing that, because he's all '...'. El Borelo, please. :p

If Team Rocket stay, GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO DO. They were doing something early Houen, with Jessie's past. That failed. They got her (HER. Not anybody else. James and Meowth were just *there*.) involved in Contests. That kind of fizzled out. The next Region needs those contests that Johto had, like the Bug Catching one, and the Seaking one. They may have been fillers, but it was nice to see all the characters get involved.

If they go... :pPPPPPPP

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
I don't see that, I see *MAX* being the character voted off the most.

Max = Reason. Some people are still bitter over Misty being booted out. They think she was booted because they wanted to bring May in, and can't understand that if there could be 4 characters, why not allow Misty to stay in?

Fact is, they booted her because her character sucked hardcore.

I hope Haruka and Masato stay. I just want Team Rocket to do something other than the usual.

It's already been confirmed that the Rocket-Dan will appear in the Lucario movie. The movie won't be released until after the gang arrives at the Battle Frontier, so I don't see them leaving in the TV show and then coming back to appear in the movie.

Dogasu said:
The movie won't be released until after the gang arrives at the Battle Frontier[...]
Watch your assumptions. It's after the League, but the location mentioned in the title of the last known episode before the movie is Oak's lab. I strongly suspect the movie will be released while they're traveling to the Battle Frontier.

Still, the movie isn't coming out until after the league is finished. If the Rocket-Dan is leaving at the end of the league, like Alfonso is suggesting, then they'll be gone before the movie comes out regardless of whether or not the gang's arrived at the Battle Frontier by that point.

Last edited:
Maybe the Employer (name?) helps Team Rocket by sending them new equipment and food behind the scenes?

I hope Team Rocket part ways with Mr. Employer happily, or at least in a way he still likes them.

The movie won't be released until after the gang arrives at the Battle Frontier, so I don't see them leaving in the TV show and then coming back to appear in the movie.

Except that Charizard did that for movie 3 . . . if they're going to write TR out of the show, that doesn't mean they can't bring them back once a season for a cameo ala Charizard.

Hmm... perhaps the vendor could make them travelling franchisees. After all, the League only lasts so long. Unlikely, but it could theoretically happen.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom