• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review AG136: First Battle! Battle Factory! (Part Two)

Personally, I think the anime writers should never see themselves as bound to the game rules - otherwise it gets boring and predictable. Early Johto suffered terribly because the writers were afraid to do anything different - while the Orange Islands, which were entirely an original work, were brilliant. If the writers want to alter the Battle Frontier, that's fine - I'm perfectly capable of enjoying the season on its own merits rather than getting snippy because it's "not like the games", which is a ridiculous premise - but I won't get into that because it's flamewar material.

Also, I apologize for sniping at you - I admit, I skipped over a large portion of this thread, because most of it seemed to be the same thing back and forth.

Well, like I pointed out, this just hit home with me. I was really psyched about the idea of Ash going at it with random Pokemon again. But if there's one amusing thing that I've gotten out of all this, it's that they stripped the 'Knowledge' part out of earning the Knowledge Symbol just for Ash. :D Surely they'd have more confidence in him!

And Misty, since you brought up the Orange Islands, I'd like to add that if they're able to pull off the same things they did here in this saga that they did in that saga, I'll be a happy-happy guy.

V Faction said:
Charizard's ultimate Fire attack versus a Legend?
Anybody think that maybe it's a good thing Blast Burn wasn't seen? Am I the only one that completely does not understand the obsession with it? If it was seen we'd get all these n00b kids wanting teams rated that include Charizard with Blast Burn, and we'd have to explain over and over how the move sucks just like Hyper Beam.
Rocketshipper said:
Players of the gameboy game have been catching and using legendarys since the games started, so maybe it's about time they had a trainer catch one in the anime ^^.
Only that has yet to happen. Noland did not capture Articuno.

V Faction said:
Forgive me, but I find this to be a very ignorant post.

Forgiven. :p

But it's not ignorant. Rental Pokemon might entertain those who like unexpected, unpredictable battles, but I'm not a fan of those. I'm a bigger fan of Ash's connection with his Pokemon than the actual battles themselves. If I want an entertaining battle, I'll watch the Indigo League or play one of the games. Rental Pokemon would give Ash a largely unpersonal relationship and would make little room for character development. We wouldn't get things like Ash's bonding with Treecko from Dewford Gym, or Charizard in Blaine's Gym, not to mention Charizard's scene with Ash.

But hey, if exciting battles are all that matter, then that's your thing. I for one can get the best of both worlds without rental Pokemon.

EDIT: I think the rental gig I mentioned in Johto earlier was actually Team Rocket with Charizard-Blastoise-Venusaur. Oops. :D But my point still stands, I hate rental Pokemon.

Last edited:
Unregistered said:
Considering that Ash didn't even make a mention of his own Squirtle when he saw May with one, leads me with doubts.

Not to mention when May got Bulbasaur they made a Bulbasaur/Bulbasaur episode RIGHT after it. Seeing the upcoming episode titles, there is no Squirtle ep for the next 8 episodes at least.
We'll probably see "Squirtle and Squirtle! Regaining the Pokéblocks!" just before the next Contest episode.

Geodude said:
Anybody think that maybe it's a good thing Blast Burn wasn't seen? Am I the only one that completely does not understand the obsession with it? If it was seen we'd get all these n00b kids wanting teams rated that include Charizard with Blast Burn, and we'd have to explain over and over how the move sucks just like Hyper Beam.
Well I don't particularly like Blast Burn myself. However, I figured, since this is the anime, it was going to be changed in some way to make it a better attack. Twas an optimal situation, don'cha think, fighting a legendary?

And bah, who gives darn about the kiddies and their teams. I know I don't.

FireEmblemPrideSP said:
EDIT: I think the rental gig I mentioned in Johto earlier was actually Team Rocket with Charizard-Blastoise-Venusaur. Oops. :D But my point still stands, I hate rental Pokemon.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I went a little overboard calling the entire post ignorant. I like character battles just as much as you, but didn't we just come off of the Hoenn League? And looking back, Charizard has a big volume of development spanning the different leagues. I didn't think it would hurt to have a battle with random Pokemon and show Ash getting to know the different attacks combinations of them. I mean, Ash using Dunsparce's Serene Grace effectively = Whoamygodcool :p

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Except a trainer *has* captured a Legendary. Remember movie 4?
That doesn't count. :p It wasn't a traditional capture.

nickspizza1 said:
I am still wondering why the Frontier Badges from the English Emerald were used and not the Japanese Emerald, or perhaps Nintendo of Japan had the ideas before submitting it to NOA and created the symbols themselves.

You have to consider that the anime doesn't always follow the conventions of the games, so most likely the writers created a different set of symbols just for the anime itself, and doesn't exactly reflect to those in the game.

FabuVinny said:
And you expected the writers to do that?
Don't jump the gun, it's just an example. Ash doing SOMETHING to that effect, like learning how to use a Ninjask's speed or learning about Octillery's move set.

Only that has yet to happen. Noland did not capture Articuno.

He still befriended it and commands it in battle. It's not really that much different than how Ash got Squirtle and Charmander to join his team.

Geodude said:
That doesn't count. :p It wasn't a traditional capture.

Bishasu battled Celebi and caught it in a Pokeball. Seems like a traditional capture to me. I always got the feeling that elecrocuting it was just for show, since it seemed weak enough before that.

Indeed, the Dark Ball was the only way it could've worked. And Celebi was not in a normal mental state when bound to it.

Just seen the episode a while ago.

Now, normally, when I see a big battle episode, I'm usually going on and on about the awesomeness of the episode and all of that (even if that particular episode has been shunned).

However, I have just one thing to say about it...
Ash did NOT deserve to win the Knowledge Symbol.

I mean, toward the eyecatch, I thought that Ash was going to lose. But then again, this IS an Articuno we're talking about. However, Charizard got up and was able to take hits like there was no tomorrow. I mean, he should've been KO'ed by the FIRST Water Pulse! And then, when both Pokemon were officially down and Articuno got up, Noland pratically LETS Ash win. It's just... no.

Overall, I am not impressed. If Ash's battle against Greta ends up like this, I am SO giving up on the Battle Frontier series.

Sorry if I get my butt kicked for saying that, but I just have to give my honest opinions about this ep.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom