• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's flaws as a trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lis

Reaction score
(Apart from the forseeable fact that he won't win a league until the games end, and maybe not even then, which is sad but true) He's admirable and sometimes shows to be more intelligent than what he seems, but even though he's faced great dangers and learnt a nice deal of strategies and
lessons among his journeys that should have alredy prepared him for greater challenges; (challeneges which he had dealt with but didn't suprass) or at least to accend a little bit more in the league, he's unable to.

I thought Ash was a great trainer back in DP (he was more competitive, he used his head, defeated two legendaries), I just don't know why the writers turned him into a mere parody of his Kanto self in BW.

He doesn't seem to be able to use slow, defensive Pokemon. Torkoal didn't get used that much, but Torterra was on full display showing how bad Ash is at them. He also has a problem with type immunities, he hardly ever remembers Thunderbolt won't hit a ground type, but I can cut him some slack on that one since the anime ignores that ever so often and let's it hit anyway.

@Lis; I'm not really seeing a lot of room for discussion here given your opening post. Is this thread to discuss what people think are Ash's biggest flaws?

@Contrary o: yep, but if it isn't obvious shall i edit or you delete it? i thought that at least some of people's opinions would make reference to him being perhaps too bland with his pokemon; or maybe that he's just too young, or that it's a merchandise stragety so that new viewers get familiar with the whole "pokemon battles" conept. Some people stating he's just fine the way he is giving fundaments (etc, these possibilities came to my mind, just to mention a few. I thought we'd see many more, or you say that it'll just confuse people?)

I think the biggest problem with Best Wishes Ash is that they violated the "Idiot Shonen Protagonist" rule, it's alright for Ash to be an idiot when it comes to book-smarts, but he should be competent, more or less, when it comes to battling. In Best Wishes he didn't simply ignore type advantages, he straight-up forgot them numerous times, and other moments where his battling was impaired by his stupidity as opposed to strengthened. I think that's where the Best Wishes crew went wrong in trying to "return" Ash to his Kanto personality.

XY has, so far, fixed this, with Ash only displaying his trademark clumsiness in matters outside of battling, such as romance, and technology, and being otherwise competent.

Ash's biggest flaw as a trainer is not letting several of his pokemon evolve. When pokemons evolve, they have better stats and obviously better power. Evolving them would help him win battles more often, theyd have access to learning more moves, and he'd be able to train them using diverse strategies - there's only so much you can do when your pokemon is unevolved.

I think a big flaw with Ash's style is it simply isn't aggressive enough. I mean he's a book dumb shonen protagonist. The way it supposed to work is he supposed to make up for his lack of for thought with the fire in his heart but his heart just isn't all that fiery so what does he have left.

Locked. This thread topic is too vague and OP has admitted that it was only made with general complaining in mind. Please don't create threads with the sole of intent of causing a whingefest about the show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom