• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's future after Journeys

Will Ash leave the show after Journeys?

• Yes

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 52 61.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 21 25.0%

• Total voters
Yesterday I rewatched the BW episode with Alder and they brought up how Iris and Ash don't know what to do after becoming champion/dragon master. This feels relevant again?

Since Alder is the only champion who hasn't shown up in Journeys yet (did they even confirm that Iris beat him?) maybe they are saving him for after the tournament so he can give Ash and/or Iris advice about what to do next.

If they want to do some kind of arc with PLA this could tie into that since Alder's ancestor is important to the plot but not properly developed. Maybe the anime could do something interesting with this missed opportunity since I doubt we will get DLC for PLA at this point.

The Alder BW episode ends with Alder saying that a true champion inspires others maybe that could be a hint. Either an arc in Hisui where Ash inspires humans and Pokémon to get along or him becoming some kind of mentor to a new character in the SV anime.

Although if I was allowed to choose I would like him and Pikachu to leave. I would love to see focus on a new female character who battles and actually evolves her starter but I don't think that is ever going to happen especially considering how little screentime Koharu got (which was just Let's Go/Kanto pandering anyway).

Ugh, don’t remind me of the eyesore that is Super. :(

Anyways, part of me hopes the whole school theme theory of S/V is true so that the anime might be forced to flip it on its head to avoid repeating Alola, so instead of becoming a student... Ash is hired as a teacher since he’s one of the best trainers in the world. Kinda like that one episode of Journeys where Ash and Gou has to do some Orienteering with some five tear olds.
I can’t help but feel that people are placing far too much assumptions on SV having a school setting when we have literally no information about the game. For all we know, the outfits that the protagonists are wearing in the teaser trailer are only around for the opening of the game and once you set out, it’s optional for the player to wear that vs their trainer clothing.

New dimensions. SM and JN have been much closer to the idea than ever before, so it wouldn't be too outlandish that Ash and Pikachu visiting one (most likely by accident) would mean they would have to start from scratch and possibly learn new ways the trainers of that dimension battle and bond with their Pokemon.
Wait, if some theories of Scarlet/Violet being in two separate dimensions and that kinda thing are true...then this may work!!

Ugh, don’t remind me of the eyesore that is Super. :(

Anyways, part of me hopes the whole school theme theory of S/V is true so that the anime might be forced to flip it on its head to avoid repeating Alola, so instead of becoming a student... Ash is hired as a teacher since he’s one of the best trainers in the world. Kinda like that one episode of Journeys where Ash and Gou has to do some Orienteering with some five tear olds.
I don't like DBS anyway but I think it's a possible scenario like the other theories here!

Agreed. DBS is really not all that good.
Yea, Super is basically if you take DBZ, subtract any actual character depth, Flanderize Goku’s idiot hero traits to the breaking point, push power ups to 11 and then for good measure, throw out the entire rich cast sans Goku and Vegeta before calling it a day. It’s literally the most mindless and shallow I’ve ever seen a Dragon Ball property. Never let a series get that shallow.

I'm still not convinced that he'll win the PWC, but one of the reasons why I don't think that Gyms are out of the question is because there aren't a lot of ways to go higher than battling top ranked trainers from across the world. Unless they introduce something like alien trainers or going back in time, they kind of have to scale things back down, They could still give Ash a different kind of quest, but I don't think that it would be impossible to make the return of Gym quests work either.

Not gonna lie, hearing "Alien Trainers" has me imagining Ash and Pikachu having a beam struggle with some Deoxys-looking Pokémon as the shockwaves ripple in space and a nearby planet gets blown up from Pikachu's OP Thunderbolt.

...NGL, I do kinda wanna see that now just for the lol's. :ROFLMAO:

Not gonna lie, hearing "Alien Trainers" has me imagining Ash and Pikachu having a beam struggle with some Deoxys-looking Pokémon as the shockwaves ripple in space and a nearby planet gets blown up from Pikachu's OP Thunderbolt.

...NGL, I do kinda wanna see that now just for the lol's. :ROFLMAO:
Sounds like a possible idea to me now!:lapras:

I still do not understand why some fans think gyms are out of the question for Ash's future. He will always want to challenge strong trainers to test his skills, and that can include gym leaders in a gym setting. It all comes down to how the lore is managed and what the leader's strength is relative to other trainers in the series (like in Sword and Shield, where gym leaders are meant to be extremely challenging and on the level of the Elite 4 in some regions). My point is that it is not impossible to see Ash challenging gyms again just because of his current and past accomplishments.

Last edited:
I still do not understand why some fans think gyms are out of the question for Ash's future. He will always want to challenge strong trainers to test his skills, and that can include gym leaders in a gym setting. It all comes down to how to lore is managed and what the leader's strength is relative to other trainers (like in Sword and Shield, where gym leaders are meant to be extremely challenging and on the level of the Elite 4 in some regions). My point is that it is not impossible.
While I respect your opinion, remember that no matter how strong a gym leader may be, they're still weaker than the level of trainers Ash is currently going up against. I don't think Ash would want to fight weaker opponents than what he's currently aiming for. Besides, Ash is more than likely beyond the E4 in terms of strength now anyway. They (or anyone as strong as them,) wouldn't pose much of a challenge anymore.

Last edited:
While I respect your opinion, remember that no matter how strong a gym leader may be, they're still weaker than the level of trainers Ash is currently going uo against. I don't think Ash would want to fight weaker opponents than what he's currently aiming for. Besides, Ash is more than likely beyond the E4 in terms of strength now anyway. They (or anyone as strong as them,) wouldn't pose much of a challenge anymore.
Again, it all comes down to anime lore and how they want to portray these characters. I still stand by the point that if they want to find justification for Ash challenging gyms again, and write the gym leaders of a specific region as "the most challenging gym leaders to ever be in existence" they can and likely will. It's not like Ash hasn't re-challenged gym leaders in this series before either so, it's not impossible. If you're limiting the scope of strength to how the games portray the gym leaders, then that may be a difficult thing to justify.

While I respect your opinion, remember that no matter how strong a gym leader may be, they're still weaker than the level of trainers Ash is currently going uo against. I don't think Ash would want to fight weaker opponents than what he's currently aiming for. Besides, Ash is more than likely beyond the E4 in terms of strength now anyway. They (or anyone as strong as them,) wouldn't pose much of a challenge anymore.
I seriously doubt anyone thought at the time that DP’s Roark was stronger than Brandon of the Battle Frontier. :p

To answer a little more seriously, the Gym Leaders themselves aren’t the end goal, they are just the gatekeepers meant to weed out the unworthy from taking part in the Conference Battle which is what Ash has always been after. You could easily have a scenario where Ash arrives in PokéSpain, befriends an upcoming trainer and they promise to meet each other in battle in the finals of that Region’s League. In the spirit of fairness with his new Rival, Ash benches everyone but Pikachu in order to start fresh and begins his climb up the Gym ladder to keep that promise because he thinks that Rival could give him the battle of a lifetime once they’ve overcome enough trials.

Kind of a reverse of the current situation with Leon but it is easy enough to justify a situation if you want Ash to collect Gym Badges again.

Again, it all comes down to anime lore and how they want to portray these characters. I still stand by the point that if they want to find justification for Ash challenging gyms again, and write the gym leaders of a specific region as "the most challenging gym leaders to ever be in existence" they can and likely will. It's not like Ash hasn't re-challenged gym leaders in this series before either so, it's not impossible. If you're limiting the scope of strength to how the games portray the gym leaders, then that may be a difficult thing to justify.
You're not wrong in what you say, but don't forget Journeys is unlike any series that came before it in some respects. Ash has come farther than he ever has before. Also, whenever he re-challenged a Gym Leader in the past, it was usually just a casual battle or for training/practice.

I still do not understand why some fans think gyms are out of the question for Ash's future. He will always want to challenge strong trainers to test his skills, and that can include gym leaders in a gym setting. It all comes down to how the lore is managed and what the leader's strength is relative to other trainers in the series (like in Sword and Shield, where gym leaders are meant to be extremely challenging and on the level of the Elite 4 in some regions). My point is that it is not impossible to see Ash challenging gyms again just because of his current and past accomplishments.
Plus, it is not Ash getting in fist fights with the trainers after all. Every time he makes a brand new team (barring Pikachu), it is the Pokémon's training that needs to be overcome, not Ash himself. His intelligence and knowledge can only assist him through training, but it doesn't necessarily make his newly caught Pokémon on a Champion-level automatically. He will still have to work his way up to training new 'mons.

but don't forget Journeys is unlike any series that came before it in some respects. Ash has come farther than he ever has before.
It is a series plagued with tons of poor writing decisions.

He has come this far because the writers had allowed him to do so.
But the PWC had been mangled so badly, sometimes people even forgot it was a thing due to lack of focus.
Sometimes I wonder that if the handling could have been any worse; they just could rig things, even more, to benefit him.
I don't think/want him defeating Dande, there is not enough development to make it believable.

Regarding Spain, agreed that they can come up with any reason to justify a Badge Quest.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom