• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BBL: Mentorship Program

UB-01 Kenobi

If she's UB-01, I'm UB-01
Reaction score
The Bulbagarden Battle League was designed for two reasons: to give competitive battlers a fun challenge, and more importantly, as a gateway into competitive battling for new players and casuals alike. The Gym Leaders use competitive teams and strategies while encouraging challengers to think of new strategies and test their teambuilding skills by forcing them to design a team that can handle at least 8 different Pokémon types and 8 different competitive strategies. However, we're not merciless - we don't expect you to do all this on your own if you're new! In order to help layers new to competitive battling, I would like to formally introduce the BBL Mentorship Program. In this program, Gym Leaders take a new player and coach them through team-building, and then watch the Apprentice's battles and critique them - tell them what they did wrong, what they did right, and how to do better the next time they encounter that sort of team or strategy. All Mentors have agreed to fulfill these responsibilities:

-Help your Apprentice build a team
-Advise them on strategies that they can employ with that team
-Inform them of problems and counters they may face, and how to overcome them
-Watch their Battle Videos and critique them - tell them what they did right, what they did wrong, and how to improve
-Be patient and kind, and help to make competitive battling fun and accessible!

As an Apprentice, these are your responsibilities:

-Build a team with your Mentor according to your own preferred Pokémon and playstyle
-Challenge the Bulbagarden Battle League with the team you built
-Record and upload your Battle Videos and give your Mentor the codes
-Be open to learning and constructive criticism
-Have fun!

If you wish to participate, please reply to this thread and you will be assigned a Mentor. There is a limited number of Mentors, but other League members will be signing up as Mentors, so if you wish to apply as an Apprentice check back often to see if there are open spots available, and make sure to put your name on the Waiting List to reserve a spot.

List of Mentors and Apprentices:

1. Glory Blaze, the Dark Gym Leader ~ Draco-chan
2. sharkshocker, the Ice Gym Leader ~ Ravioko
3. Lunacy, the Steel Elite 4 member ~ jc10757
4. BadAssKoala, the Ground Gym Leader ~ temporarily unavailable
5. BadAssGardevoir, the Fire Elite 4 member ~ skittlepup~
6. AnybodyAgrees, the Ghost Gym Leader ~ Fairy Type Arceus
7. Alexey, the Grass Gym Leader ~ CrazyRageMonkey
8. DragonEspeon, the Psychic Gym Leader ~ Quacks the Automaton

Waiting List:

1. Pronged Pickle
2. RunnerAwaker
3. ItsHijak
5. greenman4011
6. Raynor
7. aliveatnight

Last edited:
I would like to be an apprentice please! I am good at battling, however I lack something to be a really good battler. Plus, I am having trouble with IVs, but I am learning steadily.

I would like to be an apprentice please! I am good at battling, however I lack something to be a really good battler. Plus, I am having trouble with IVs, but I am learning steadily.

Thanks for signing up! Your mentor will be @BadAssKoala, the Ground Gym Leader.

I would also like to be an apprentice as well! I recently became interested in competitive battling but have yet to actually have an Wi-Fi battle. I have learned a lot from watching battles on YouTube but need some guidance and experience.

I would also like to be an apprentice as well! I recently became interested in competitive battling but have yet to actually have an Wi-Fi battle. I have learned a lot from watching battles on YouTube but need some guidance and experience.

Thanks for signing up! Your mentor will be @Lunacy, the Steel Gym Leader.

I've never been good at competitive battling, so this seems like it would be good for me. I'd like a mentor, please!

Ive been sitting off of the wi-fi world and watching for too long. Id like a mentor please. Experience should be the best way to get better.

Ive been sitting off of the wi-fi world and watching for too long. Id like a mentor please. Experience should be the best way to get better.

Thanks for signing up! As a warning, the last two Mentors currently available are Demo leaders. Your Mentor does not count towards your total Badge count should you beat them, so you would not be able to fully participate in the demo. Season 1 opens ~January 27th and will contain many more Gym. Leaders, so if you don't mind waiting to participate fully until then, we will assign you a mentor straight away. If you do want a mentor now, you can still challenge the other 2 demo gyms (Water and either Dark or Psychic). Do you want to wait or not? Thanks!

Given my type of schedule I think itll be better to try and get the mentor now and do what I can while I can. I hope its not inconvenient or anything?

Given my type of schedule I think itll be better to try and get the mentor now and do what I can while I can. I hope its not inconvenient or anything?

Nope, just wanna make sure you get the full experience. Our time zones are pretty close, I'll mentor you and you can challenge AnybodyAgrees and sharkshocker. :)

I would like to sign up if possible. i havent really played competitivly yet but from what ive read it seems fun.

Can I reserve a spot on the waiting list to become an apprentice? I'm diving into competitive battling and I want to have a mentor help me develop my skill.

Can I reserve a spot on the waiting list to become an apprentice? I'm diving into competitive battling and I want to have a mentor help me develop my skill.

Yes, definitely! We'll alert you as soon as a new mentor is available or one of the current mentees graduates.

@Winnermillion, your mentor will be @Moony, the Grass Gym Leader.

Last edited:
I want a mentor, I have had problems and some edvice and help would be nice.

thanks.

I want a mentor, I have had problems and some edvice and help would be nice.

thanks.

For sure! I'll let you know when a spot opens. :)

EDIT:

@superbobbobbob3 and future applicants, please mention whether or not you have a Skype when signing up. We have an open spot available for someone who has Skype. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
I would like to sign up as well, but I do not have Skype and I'm not getting it either.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom