• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BMGf = #1

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
We've all known it ourselves for some years now, but now it's official. ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=pokemon forums&hl=en
1. Pokémon Forums - Bulbagarden Forums
2. Pokemon Fan Universe Forums
3. Gengar and Haunter's Pokemon Forums :: Index
4. Serebii.Net Forums - Powered by vBulletin
5. The PokéCommunity Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I'd just like to thank all our members and guests for their support over the years. =) We couldn't do all this without your support.

So, we are now officially made of win and awesome. :-D

How does one rank higher in google like that? I'd assume hits, but call me crazy to think SPPf gets more visitors than BMGf does.

• Staff
Hits have nothing to do with your google rank. Google ranks are determined more by the quality of the sites which direct links towards you. Getting linked from stories on places like Joystiq and its affiliated blogs, and other famous gaming sites like that, is what gives Bulbagarden its high rank.

How does one rank higher in google like that? I'd assume hits, but call me crazy to think SPPf gets more visitors than BMGf does.

I believe the difference is due to search results. SPPf gets more visitors because it's already known to many people, but BMGf gets more hits by people looking for a better alternative.

EDIT: Archaic, your explanation sounds plausible, but nobody really know how Google ranks sites. If someone did, they could game the system and wind up at the top.

Last edited:
  • Staff
EDIT: Archaic, your explanation sounds plausible, but nobody really know how Google ranks sites. If someone did, they could game the system and wind up at the top.
They have, before. It's called "Google Bombing". It's how people got the biography for Bush as the #1 result for a search of "Incompetent", among other things. There's no Google Bombing in our rankings however. ^^;

I'm not sure what to be more surprised at, the fact Bulbagarden is #1 or Serebii is farther down the list.

As far as the rank thing goes, I think there may be a chance it could correlated with our wiki-pages. Sure the pokemon wikis essentially link to the Bulbapedia, but if quality is something Google is looking for, reference links in wikis as well as wikis themeselves would do it. Whenever I search for anything nowadays, I usually get the wiki article as the first thing on Google's hit list.

Still, great news!

There's no Google Bombing in our rankings however. ^^;

I'd never heard of Google Bombing before. I had heard of rumors about ranking manipulation elsewhere *coughYahoocough*.

I agree there would be no Google Bombing concerning Pokemon fan websites.

I'm not sure that's a good thing. We may just be too insignificant to bomb.

I'd never heard of Google Bombing before. I had heard of rumors about ranking manipulation elsewhere *coughYahoocough*.

I agree there would be no Google Bombing concerning Pokemon fan websites.

I'm not sure that's a good thing. We may just be too insignificant to bomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bombing

Congratulations to Bulbagarden. I'm curious, though, what kind of sites (other than Bulbapedia, but even that's a stretch) would link often to Bulbagarden? :|

Wikipedia itself has links to Bulbapedia from a lot of Pokémon articles.

Affliates also add to the links.

Thought it might be worthwhile mentioning this in this thread, rather than creating a new one.

The Bulbagarden Oekaki is currently at #4 on Google for a search of "oekaki", and #1 for "pokémon oekaki", though oddly enough, only #3 for "pokemon oekaki".

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom