• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Brock's Present

Illidan

Yes We Can
Reaction score
*Thread made purely to appease Lisa* xD

So anyway... are you happy with Brock's current role in the Animé? I often hear people complaining he could be utilized better, but rarely hear anyone offering any ideas.

How would you better utilize Brock? What storylines could we use? More Contests? Forretress' Funeral and Brock's subsequent court hearing for neglect?

Yay! ^^

Thanks, Eternal Eievui! XD

And well, to start off, I think Brock definitely deserves to have a much larger role than what the writers have given him so far. I mean, it's as if he barely receives any attention at all, and to make things worse, there's hardly any episodes with the main focus on him.

But I really have no ideas as for what things they could have Brock do, so that way he's at least doing something (which would be much better than nothing).

Though, I think he would make a pretty good coordinator, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in some more contests. XD

Last edited:
He's gotten a bit more focus in Battle Frontier than he did back in Hoenn, at any rate.

The main problem is Brock's Pokemon never do much.

Foretress has pretty much rotted in its ball for the entire AG saga.

Mudkip/Marshtompt just come out for the occasional Water Gun, and aside from that one Contest, it doesn't do much either.

Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo were great, why oh why did the writers have Brock leave it behind? It was probably his most interesting AG Pokemon. It's a shame too, because Ludicolo was barely around before it got ditched.

And as we've seen with Bonsly, it hasn't been doing *anything* in ages. We haven't even seen Brock feeding it lately.

But really, what can they do with him now? Ash has surpassed Brock which is why that angle no longer exists. Ash never goes to Brock for battle advice anymore and Brock never gives him battle advice anymore, because Ash has moved into a mentor-esque role himself.

I'd probably give him more fillers, that's about all you can do with a character who doesn't have a quest or tournament or even the need to battle like Ash and May do.

Scott85 said:
Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo were great, why oh why did the writers have Brock leave it behind? It was probably his most interesting AG Pokemon. It's a shame too, because Ludicolo was barely around before it got ditched.
Brock leaves Ludicolo behind? O.O

Wow, I didn't know that!!

Anyway, I guess that proves I need to read more spoilers. XD

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Brock leaves Ludicolo behind? O.O

Wow, I didn't know that!

Um, that happened at the beginning of Battle Frontier. You know the flashback with Brock leaving Ludicolo with his parents?

Makes me wish Brock got some of his old Pokemon back, but they didn't have him put any of his old Pokes back on his team when he was at Pewter sadly. :/

I think they should have a couple of Brock-centric episodes, like they do with Team Rocket occasionally. I can't think of any ideas at the moment, but they should make him more active in things.

I was never a big fan of Ludicolo; it annoyed me. Marshtomp's a nice Pokemon. Hey, how 'bout the writers let him catch a new Rock type?

He should do more than judge battles.

Scott85 said:
Um, that happened at the beginning of Battle Frontier. You know the flashback with Brock leaving Ludicolo with his parents?

Makes me wish Brock got some of his old Pokemon back, but they didn't have him put any of his old Pokes back on his team when he was at Pewter sadly. :/

Oh, I see. That's sounds interesting. ^^

Although, I wouldn't remember that flashback, since I don't watch raw episodes very much (I do watch them occaisionally, but only certain ones that appeal to me, lol). XD

And that's in the beginning of the Battle Frontier, huh?

That must be a very early season 9 episode then (going by dub standards, of course). I'm guessing it'll be one of the first episodes they show of Pokemon: Battle Frontier. Though, you can feel free to correct me if you want, since I don't really know what I'm talking about here and I'm just guessing.....

^ No, it's "A Real Cleffa hanger" that shows that flashback. It's the episode where Misty and Max fall off a cliff and spend time bonding in a cave together.

It was the third episode of the Battle Frontier, (which is an Advanced Battle ep in the U.S.)

I think lately the writers have been remembering what a dynamic character Brock can be. I mean, in Battle Frontier we've seen some of his best moments battling, taking care of Pokémon, and even in new areas like coordinating. He's pretty much out of the background and showing himself as the great character he is - if the writers were to drop him now, I'd be sorely disappointed.

I'd love to see a return to showing his breeder side more than just mentioning "Oh yeah, he's a breeder" once in a blue moon. Seeing another breeder contest would be great. Or perhaps showing more of him raising the young Bonsly he's received relatively recently - I mean, maybe they think that's less interesting since, unlike Misty, he's good at raising baby Pokémon and so Bonsly doesn't act like Togepi and go try to jump off a cliff every five minutes because Brock took his eyes off it...

I'd like to see Brock sing more - but I dunno, having him learn more than one song would kill a great running joke.

Also, he should let Forrest stick to using Geodude and get his Steelix back. I miss that big snake.

I agree completely with Pie; I really would love to see Brock, say, compete in more Breeding Contests. Time and again, even when shoved into the background, Brock has shown just how much of a wonderful character he is. He's a different breed (no pun intended) than most trainers; while he can hold his own in battle, he's generally passive and prefers not to, and I can also see potential in him as a coordinator as well. However, rather than being strictly a trainer, he shows talent in the more supportive field of Pokemon, which is generally not in the spotlight. I could certainly see him becoming a Pokemon doctor or nurse, if not a breeder.

Also, a great example of just how much Ash really relies on Brock was evidenced in the Taillow episode near the beginning of AG. The group really depends on Brock for cooking, cleaning, navigation, and as an older, mentor figure. While Ash has grown since the beginning of the series, Ash still has a lot to learn from Brock, so I could not see Ash growing independant of Brock anytime soon. Plus Brock is like an older brother to Ash.

Brock really is underappreciated, but also, he seems the type that wouldn't want to be in the immediate spotlight like Ash is. He's perfectly content quietly doing what needs to be done in the background. However, that certainly doesn't mean that Brock shouldn't get more centric episodes, and perhaps even a bigger part in a movie. His character shows serious dynamic potential, that still has yet to be tapped.

Scott85 said:
^ No, it's "A Real Cleffa hanger" that shows that flashback. It's the episode where Misty and Max fall off a cliff and spend time bonding in a cave together.

It was the third episode of the Battle Frontier, (which is an Advanced Battle ep in the U.S.)
Oh yeah! I remember that episode well! ^^

Heh, I thought you were referring to that episode. XD

Thanks, Scott85.

I think I got a bit confused there because of the way you worded it and described it to me. For some reason I thought you were talking about another episode that they haven't aired here yet (lol). And come to think of it, my first instinct was that it was from, "A Real Cleffa Hanger", but then I was having second thoughts, so I figured that happened in a different episode.

But anyway, yeah, thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I'll probably find that tape and watch that episode again (oddly enough, I think I've only seen that episode once O_O).

Last edited:
i think if they want to make brock with a bigger role they should make a contest for breeders

they should put breeding contests in shinu if they want to make brocks charcter more important

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom