• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Canon characters vs. OC's

Zekurom

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
Shinneth and I got into a discussion about whether people prefer canon characters or original characters, in the Pokemon fandom.

Personally, I prefer stories that use original characters, simply because I don't really like reading about whatever new situation an author wants to put somebody else's characters in. It's not that it's plagiarism or anything, but I'd rather keep the canon characters... canon.

However, I do like stories that give backstory to the characters, and only backstory - no continuation of the existing plot. This is why although The_Noob's Tarnished Gold (I'm using that as an example too much now) is all about the canon characters (except for the Elite Four, etc.), I still follow and like it.

I know that I'm in quite a small minority here. Most people would prefer that fan fiction only follows the canon characters - screw whatever new character you create for the fandom, we want to see the characters we know and love!

What are your thoughts on this?

However, I do like stories that give backstory to the characters, and only backstory - no continuation of the existing plot. This is why although The_Noob's Tarnished Gold (I'm using that as an example too much now) is all about the canon characters (except for the Elite Four, etc.), I still follow and like it.

Heh, if a story is good, and can be used as an example, use it. Of course, Tarnished Gold is the extreme of using canon characters, as it bends them to the point of turning them into OC's.

Legacy's 'Power Inside' uses canon characters as well, but makes them more likable than they would usually be in the anime (Ash, for example, is not a self-righteous asshole).

Many times, OC fics cannot get off the ground because the characters are not interesting. Using canon characters is like using a canvas. They are easy to add depth to, and change around. Like for example, Cynthia, who I changed from a spelunking hottie badass Champion to a terrifying psychopath. Or, Lucas, who was turned into a jerk, or Dawn, who became Cyrus' daughter and heir. If, for example, I made ar random character, I wouldn't know what to do. This is why I'm so good with crackfics or darkfics, it's easy to work with (and twist) existing characters to your desired niches.

Canon characters are more fun, but it's OC's that are most interesting, because they're so hard to make and execute well at times.

I realize that I just went in circles with my words.

Oh, and, Zek, Tarnished Gold does slightly extend the plot of Diamond and Pearl. Most of my fics are in the same universe, time/space anomalies and all.

Last edited:
I don't care whether they're canon or OC, as long as the story is good. Of course, canons who I have used and got close to do seem to be just a little off-kilter when I see them in somebody else's work, but that's alright by me - I just need to get used to them. And original characters are fair game as well, assuming that they're handled as actual people as opposed to "Look at me, I'm an OC, you guys! Be drawn in by my original flavor!! 8DDD" Heck, I've been known to use canons and OCs even in the same traveling party (Clyde and Grant, anybody?).

However, I do have a major pet peeve, and that's canons being in character. That's the primary reason why I didn't like Tarnished Gold - the characters are a little too alien from their usual selves, even as children, and perhaps one of the worst offenders in the first few chapters was one of my personal favorite characters. OOC people make me grumpy, and people have a tendency to make people OOC, which irks me immensely and can be an instant turn-off for most fics... but yeah, just my personal problem from roleplaying on a site with nothing but canons for four years now.

TLDR: I don't give a Ratatta's tail whether the charries are canon or OC.

My thoughts on this is that you should put a poll with the typical four options (A, B, Both, Neither)

...more seriously: I kinda agree with your point, but aside from backstory I guess adding shipping to those exceptions wouldn't hurt us, would it? ;-) (it's the point of shipping, don't forget about us!)

Also, if I wasn't currently focusing on my shipping needs and wants, I would be writing OCs, because the Pokemon world has a lot of potential for developing your own stories with your own characters. I don't read that kind of fics enough, though, because FF.net is so discouraging... well... you know, it kind of kills all hope for finding good things. I think our friend Shinneth may also have a problem with that.

Now, the issue at hand fragmented by verses:

- I have a cute and very peculiar case of canon character aversion with the anime verse ones only. You can set your story in the anime verse, but you better not ever mention Ash and the rest (hell, not even Gary, and I like that guy) if you want me to read or anything. Well... that indeed kills the anime verse, so the conclusion is I don't read anime verse.

- I like the canon characters of the manga verse, and I like their verse too. Personally, I see this is the one that must stick to canon if it's a non-shippy story, and even the shippy ones must adhere somehow to the basic rules and stuff (that is: must not be AU)

- Game verse has... well... not a lot going on in the terms of canon, so who cares here, really? :XD2: However, I can't stand seeing the player characters depart time and again and again... Here, you better have a complete OC if you want me to stick around.

Last edited:
Yeah. Almost all of the stories under my belt reside in the Archiverse, a sort of mix-and-match world that is modeled primarily after the games and picks out characters from the anime and side manga, often remodeling the plotline they use so that it adheres with the Archiverse and what has already happened. As an example for those of you who read Diamond and Pearl Adventures!, the first part of the plot - i.e., the one that primarily involved Team Galactic - was taken out, because in this timeline Team Galactic wreaked havoc on the world over twenty years earlier. The original manga characters - Hareta, Mitsumi, Koya, and the others - are all placed in a future timeline, and the game manga characters - Looker, Professor Rowan, Cyrus, those people - are really not mentioned in relation to them at all.

Oh yeah, and PokéSpe never happened.

So where do you place that, Kayi-kun? >3

Yeah. Almost all of the stories under my belt reside in the Archiverse, a sort of mix-and-match world that is modeled primarily after the games and picks out characters from the anime and side manga, often remodeling the plotline they use so that it adheres with the Archiverse and what has already happened. As an example for those of you who read Diamond and Pearl Adventures!, the first part of the plot - i.e., the one that primarily involved Team Galactic - was taken out, because in this timeline Team Galactic wreaked havoc on the world over twenty years earlier. The original manga characters - Hareta, Mitsumi, Koya, and the others - are all placed in a future timeline, and the game manga characters - Looker, Professor Rowan, Cyrus, those people - are really not mentioned in relation to them at all.

So where do you place that, Kayi-kun? >3
In the "I better get more manga" box? :XD2: (which then gets put in a bigger box called "I totally need a job so I can has moneyz to buy stuff")

But solely saying "anime characters" is a serious offense in my book; I'm probably not going to read your stories, just so you know :ksmile: (were you trying to keep me off them or something...?)

I'm just more familiar with the side-manga than PokéSpe, that's all.

And if you don't mind me asking, what do you have against the Pokémon anime? :/

And if you don't mind me asking, what do you have against the Pokémon anime? :/
I just seriously don't like it anymore. And I don't understand the reason because, I mean, I started viewing it recently from season one for the nostalgia value, remembering how much I liked it... and I was thinking all the while "this sucks, this sucks, this sucks" :-| (and that made no sense to me; I'm still trying to figure it out)

Oooh, a hard one. That's what she said!

No, seriously now, it depends on whether the story is good or not. But what I know I prefer to write is OC and/or small-time canon characters that could be easily written in a way you want without them being OOC. For example, including Willis in Second Chances- all that is known in canon of him is par tof his backstory and the most prominent threat of his that is shown is his flirty confident personality. All the rest is a card blanché of sorts. I'm sure that there was a trope for this but I can't remember the name...

From a writer's perspective, creating OCs is definitely more fun and interesting for the obvious reasons that you get to be more creative instead of following a strict template of what canon characters already are.

From a reader's perspective, I totally believe that it completely depends on the readers. Some love fics with canon characters and can't get into a fic where they are forced to become introduced with brand new characters. This can either be because of the reader's laziness or unwillingness to do so, or it can be due to the author's failure to create these OCs to be interesting and engaging.

I guess for me, I prefer to use OCs in my writing, although The Power Inside (my main writing project) obviously doesn't for the most part. For those who have read my fic, you know that I have taken the anime characters and (assuming Ash and company haven't aged drastically throughout the anime) aged them five years into the future. So Ash, now 15, has an opportunity to be a lot different from his 10-year-old self in my fic.

This makes it possible to have a little creativity with how I portray him and the rest of the gang. But also keeps the lovable and recognizable characters that a lot of people apparently like.

Like I've said though, I prefer OCs from both points of views and my next fic will definitely feature them.

Myself--I like exploring what we don't know about the canon characters and what they might be able to do based on what we know about them.

To use Brock as an example--many times he appears as a storyteller, singer/songwriter, and occassionally puppeteer in my work because with so many kids around, I figured he might know how to do all those things.

I prefer original characters in every way. They're easier to alter from the point of view of a writer, and from the point of view of a reader, they rarely make you stop and say, "but wait, he/she wouldn't do that!"

I prefer original characters in every way. They're easier to alter from the point of view of a writer, and from the point of view of a reader, they rarely make you stop and say, "but wait, he/she wouldn't do that!"
Agreed 100%! Also, from a strictly Pokémon standpoint, we've already seen over one thousand adventures featuring Ash in the anime. This should make his character well developed and memorable, but I would really prefer to meet a new protagonist. It's more exciting for me as a reader.

I personally prefer writing with OCs. To me, building my own characters is the best part about writing!

I don't really like using other people's characters because I'm afraid I'll twist them up too much. I mainly read Pokemon fanfiction for the Pokemon themselves, anyaways.

When it comes to writing, I've found that I'm much better at creating and flushing out OCs. For some reason, I can't get canon characters to sound very authentic.

When it comes to reading fics, I don't really care. If a story is good, I'll read it whether it's got canon characters, OCs or even a mix of both.

I usually write OCs, but I like twisting Canon characters. I try to use them to my own means, but usually they end up more like OCs than Canon characters.

Yeah. Almost all of the stories under my belt reside in the Archiverse, a sort of mix-and-match world that is modeled primarily after the games and picks out characters from the anime and side manga, often remodeling the plotline they use so that it adheres with the Archiverse and what has already happened.

[...]

...that's pretty much exactly how my stories go, except that I don't use the canon characters seriously at all.

All the rest is a card blanché of sorts.

I know what you mean, but I believe the term is "carte blanche".

I think a lot of people will read/watch fan fic just because it is "Pokémon." Ash may not be there, but fans know the universe and its cute/ferocious monsters just the same.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom