• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Discussion Thread

Re: Black & White 2 Character Discussion Thread

I've suddenly gotten an image of Akuroma as not necessarily affiliated with either of the Team Plasmas, but is actually working with one of them as a contractor of sorts, doing some research that someone (probably Ghetsis) requested of him.
That's the impression I would get if we only had the quote from the latest trailer, but his dialogue in the animated trailer implies that he is not just a researcher. I think that he started his involvement by doing research, but after Ghetsis left he was the one that reformed Team Plasma.

Maybe Ghetsis is still in Unova, but was in hiding? I mean the region is vast, Looker couldn't have looked in every nook and cranny in every cave. Pakistan didn't know Bin Laden was right under their noses until the Americans had their operation.

In regards to Achroma, he could have used the confusion caused by the revelation of the truth about Ghetsis and N to take control of the reformed Team Plasma, while those loyal to N and the sages went on their own path.

As for why he referred to Ghetsis as an "acquaintance", it's very likely that he was avoiding referring to Ghetsis by name because he is still a wanted man, so any mention of him would bring the authorities knocking on Achroma's door.

I mean the region is vast, Looker couldn't have looked in every nook and cranny in every cave.
But he decided to leave the region to continue his search; he was probably looking for N just to inquire him as to where Ghetsis might be. How silly would it be if Ghetsis turned out to have been right under his nose?

As for why he referred to Ghetsis as an "acquaintance", it's very likely that he was avoiding referring to Ghetsis by name because he is still a wanted man, so any mention of him would bring the authorities knocking on Achroma's door.
Come on now. If he has anything to do with a faction that has nefarious activities, he is not worried about the authorities.

I mean the region is vast, Looker couldn't have looked in every nook and cranny in every cave.
But he decided to leave the region to continue his search; he was probably looking for N just to inquire him as to where Ghetsis might be. How silly would it be if Ghetsis turned out to have been right under his nose?
It happens. Besides, wasn't his main goal to round up the sages? Isn't it possible that as he's from Interpol, he headed back to his headquarters to do further work there?

Come on now. If he has anything to do with a faction that has nefarious activities, he is not worried about the authorities.
Yet that doesn't mean he should be rather showy either. He comes across to be as being particularly sneaky, so it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to keep as low a profile as he can.

How silly would it be if Ghetsis turned out to have been right under his nose?

This is the Interpol Policeman whose first line of dialouge is ""WHAAAT?! ...How did you know? How did you unmask me as a member of the International Police?!"

It wouldn't be unexpected at all. Looker is pretty much incompetent, only succeeding because the player ends up finding, and defeating, Team Galactic and the Sages.

Isn't it possible that as he's from Interpol, he headed back to his headquarters to do further work there?
Nope. "Having received such a report, of someone far from here, who has seen a person like N and...a dragon Pokémon. I am on my way to verify the veracity of this information. We will meet again one day!" He clearly went to look for N, and I don't see why he wouldn't be interested in apprehending Ghetsis.

He comes across to be as being particularly sneaky, so it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to keep as low a profile as he can.
He's in a building with a Team Plasma logo and you think he's keeping a low profile?

Quattro ~ Bajeena said:
It wouldn't be unexpected at all.
But it would be remarkably silly all the same.

Looker is pretty much incompetent, only succeeding because the player ends up finding, and defeating, Team Galactic and the Sages.
That only makes it worse. If Ghetsis turned out to have been hiding in Unova, it would mean that the player could have found him and yet didn't.

Also, this makes me hope Looker returns...replaying Platinum reminded me of how much I love the guy.

Isn't it possible that as he's from Interpol, he headed back to his headquarters to do further work there?
Nope. "Having received such a report, of someone far from here, who has seen a person like N and...a dragon Pokémon. I am on my way to verify the veracity of this information. We will meet again one day!" He clearly went to look for N, and I don't see why he wouldn't be interested in apprehending Ghetsis.
Maybe his specific target was N, not Ghetsis? Sure, he may want Ghetsis as well, but speaking to N could have been his current priority.

He comes across to be as being particularly sneaky, so it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to keep as low a profile as he can.
He's in a building with a Team Plasma logo and you think he's keeping a low profile?
That's in the interior though. We have no idea what the exterior looks like.

Maybe his specific target was N, not Ghetsis? Sure, he may want Ghetsis as well, but speaking to N could have been his current priority.
Why would Ghetsis be the last person on his list? Unlike Ghetsis, N wasn't taken into custody and was forgiven by everyone. It's obvious that Looker is really after Ghetsis and that he needs N's assistance to find him.

And this matters how? Your argument is that he doesn't want to make the player suspicious of him, and yet the player is clearly inside the building.

And this matters how? Your argument is that he doesn't want to make the player suspicious of him, and yet the player is clearly inside the building.

Because he forced his way in like every other player characters. Remember how Team Rocket's hideout was under the Game Corner and Red went in.

Because he forced his way in like every other player characters. Remember how Team Rocket's hideout was under the Game Corner and Red went in.
That is not the point. The player obviously knows about Akuroma's affiliation with Team Plasma, so if Ghetsis were around I don't see why Akuroma would be shy about using his name.

That is not the point. The player obviously knows about Akuroma's affiliation with Team Plasma, so if Ghetsis were around I don't see why Akuroma would be shy about using his name.

And just WHEN is the player made aware of Akuroma's intentions? For all we know, that screenshot could be the big reveal that the Professor is with Team Plasma as he kept it hidden from the player as well as everyone else. Also, Ghetsis is a wanted man so the Professor freely saying the name of his partner in crime would get the police questioning him WHICH HE OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT WANT!

Why would Ghetsis be the last person on his list? Unlike Ghetsis, N wasn't taken into custody and was forgiven by everyone. It's obvious that Looker is really after Ghetsis and that he needs N's assistance to find him.
Looker is obviously looking for N as a lead to Ghetsis then. He can't just sit tight and hope for a lead that's closer to home comes up.

We don't know at what point in the game that occurs though - it is most likely at some point after his cover is blown. Considering his initial reveal had a description that painted him as a mysterious character rather than outright stating his true side, it's clear that he is going to be one of those "Is he? Isn't he?" kind of characters for at least the early part of the story.

Also, is it even confirmed that this acquaintance of his IS Ghetsis?

For all we know, that screenshot could be the big reveal that the Professor is with Team Plasma as he kept it hidden from the player as well as everyone else. Also, Ghetsis is a wanted man so the Professor freely saying the name of his partner in crime would get the police questioning him WHICH HE OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT WANT!
So as he reveals to the player that he is working for (or leading) Team Plasma, the part that worries him is mentioning Ghetsis? That's trivial compared to the fact that he, himself, is a criminal.

Joshawott said:
He can't just sit tight and hope for a lead that's closer to home comes up.
There is no evidence that Ghetsis is closer to home. It's an awkward assumption to make because it requires unnecessary convolution.

We don't know at what point in the game that occurs though - it is most likely at some point after his cover is blown.
Precisely.

Also, is it even confirmed that this acquaintance of his IS Ghetsis?
Obviously not. You're welcome to propose another possibility if you don't actually think Ghetsis was the one who enlisted Akumora.

And just WHEN is the player made aware of Akuroma's intentions? For all we know, that screenshot could be the big reveal that the Professor is with Team Plasma as he kept it hidden from the player as well as everyone else. Also, Ghetsis is a wanted man so the Professor freely saying the name of his partner in crime would get the police questioning him WHICH HE OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT WANT!

finally some one gets it just like n

Why would Ghetsis not leave Unova at the end of B/W? He knows he's a wanted man, so of course he's going to leave the region. He's not stupid enough to stay in Unova after his true plans have been exposed and thwarted (for the moment, anyways). Why else would Looker be searching for N first? He obviously doesn't have any other leads on Ghetsis, and if Ghetsis were in Unova, then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to find him.

Also, I don't think the Shadow Triad were telling the truth about not knowing where Ghetsis is. They had no reason to be honest with the player character in the post-game. It's literally their job to be deceptive and mislead anyone wondering where Ghetsis is.

And finally, I don't think Akuroma cares about the police apprehending him. I think he's being deceptive only to mislead the player character. Let's be honest, the presence of any sort of "police" in these games has been almost non-existent, and every villain knows this. That's why it's always up to the player character to stop them.

I also find it unlikely that both N and Ghetsis went to other regions during their absences. It is highly possible that Ghetsis remained hidden in Unova after his escape - in fact, it seems more likely that he would stay in the same land mass considering how he was a wanted fugitive. He wouldn't have been able to get on board any boats or planes without being discovered (unless he snuck in with supplies etc, which is even more of a convoluted idea). Besides, with Interpol on his back, it really wouldn't have made a difference.

Also, Looker outright states that he believes the Seven Sages are still in Unova:
But, however! However, but... The ones known as the Seven Sages--still they hide themselves in the Unova region.
However, when you find one of the Sages, he makes note of excluding Ghetsis:
Accept my thanks! Now, Ghetsis notwithstanding, there yet remains but <number> of the Seven Sages still at large.
So why would he not exclude Ghetsis from the first quote, yet exclude him from the second, if he didn't believe Ghetsis was still in Unova?

Personally, I only expect Ghetsis to show up near the climax of the story. As for who his "acquaintance" could be? It could be anyone at this stage. We don't even know what role Achroma has in Team Plasma - all we know is that it's significant. It could be Ghetsis, with his name not being mentioned to make his later return a surprise (which The Pokémon Company have blown in the trailers, like with Achroma being with Team Plasma in the first place) or it could be someone else connected to Team Plasma.

He wouldn't have been able to get on board any boats or planes without being discovered (unless he snuck in with supplies etc, which is even more of a convoluted idea).
This is not real life. Besides, Ghetsis probably has his own plane or boat.

Besides, with Interpol on his back, it really wouldn't have made a difference.
They wouldn't know where to look for him if he left Unova. That does make a difference.

So why would he not exclude Ghetsis from the first quote, yet exclude him from the second, if he didn't believe Ghetsis was still in Unova?
Because the six sages told him that they had no idea where Ghetsis was, so he inferred that he was no longer in Unova, which is why he decided to try and find N in another region. Considering that he didn't tell the player to continue to look for Ghetsis, it is obvious that he didn't think Ghetsis could still be in Unova.

While it is certainly very likely that Akuroma is working for Plasma or Ghetsis in some capacity, we simply (still!) do not know what he is really up to. He is still just a mysterious character to us. Game Freak have been giving us information such to color our speculation towards him being a bad guy, but the truth is we still only know that he's a mysterious "is he or isn't he" sort of guy. It could turn out that the research he was asked to help with was actually finding stuff out about Plasma and about Ghetsis' whereabouts, and his acquaintance is actually Looker. Or, as a scientist, his acquaintance could be Professor Juniper or Fennel, and his research has simply led him to become entangled in the Plasma/Ghetsis/Player plot. Maybe he's a mole of some sort!

Also, notice that the player character is actually not present in the screen shot of Akuroma in the Plasma HQ or whatever it is. Dunno what that means, but it's interesting. It's highly unlikely, since Pokemon has never done this before, but there is a small chance that it could be a cut scene where the player isn't even present. I don't think that's actually the case, but it would be interesting if it were!

Also, notice that the player character is actually not present in the screen shot of Akuroma in the Plasma HQ or whatever it is. Dunno what that means, but it's interesting. It's highly unlikely, since Pokemon has never done this before, but there is a small chance that it could be a cut scene where the player isn't even present. I don't think that's actually the case, but it would be interesting if it were!

It could just be a camera pan down a long corridor. That happened in the first games.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom