• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Classic" fanfics

Umm could some one fill me in on "A Day Inside May", I've never heard of this before and now im curious. Someone post a link please.

Okay, I was going to create a new thread for this, but since we already have a classic fics thread...

As people who've been listening to the Bulbacast would know, we've been talking a bit recently there about classic fanfics. Namely...how should we best treat them? There's a lot of Pokémon fanfics out there now that are, for all intents and purposes, orphaned. Their writers have abandoned them, and the only way to find them is if you know the specific authors site that it was hosted on. Often, the only way you'll find it is by using the Wayback archive.

Taking that into consideration....should these fics which have been abandoned, which no longer can be found on fanfiction.net, pokemon tower, mediaminer, or any other major fanfiction site that Pokémon fics can be found on...be "saved"? Would it be considered acceptable for a site to collect these and post them up for people to see again (with full credit given, and the understanding that they'd be removed if the original author came forward)? Or should they just be left to die, forgotten by the old fans, and never read by the new ones?

Archaic:

I've had some (a rare few from "my" era) on my hard drive for years, though they're all still available if you Google. I think it's a pretty cool idea.

A classic fanfic archive sounds like a good idea to me.

I like that idea as well. As I didn't have full access to the Internet at the height of Pokemon popularity, I missed out on these old "classic" fanfics. So I would like the chance to see the ones that rose to the height...even if they died up there.

When I first discovered Pokemon MASTER, I thought it was the greatest Pokemon fanfic ever. :p Looking back at it, I can say that while Sanchez's writing style was good, the characters were kind of "iffy".

That seems to be a popular opinion of that story these days. When I first read it, admittedly fairly recently, I thought kind of the same thing. Of course, before we had so many seasons of the same stuff, maybe it was more believable that Ash was just a couple tragedies away from turning into Kratos from God of War. I dunno.

Of course, before we had so many seasons of the same stuff, maybe it was more believable that Ash was just a couple tragedies away from turning into Kratos from God of War.
XD I don't know why that made me laugh, but it did.

Personally, I attempted to read Pokémon MASTER and the style just so utterly failed at keeping my attention that I never managed to force myself any further than a little bit into chapter two. :/

At the risk of sounding arrogant, The Quest for the Legends probably could be called somewhat of a "classic", if only because it's so darn old and actually still ongoing - it will be celebrating its fifth birthday this June - and because I've posted some version of it in just about every major place that archives Pokémon fanfiction. That's got to account for some fame/infamy over the years, although of course only a fraction of the people who have seen its name in all the fanfic forums they find have actually gone ahead and read it.

Other than that and Pokémon MASTER, there is Me and My Flame, an old (you'll see G/S/C Pokémon referred to by their Japanese name in later chapters), completed story that happens in the future of the Pokémon world. I think that is the only piece of fanfiction I have ever actually finished fifty-something chapters of. The characters are quite fascinating, especially its portrayal of the different Pokémon cultures (and especially so their religion), and the storyline is both dark and heartwarming. Not everybody has the time to read all that, but I found it well worth it.

It is rather anti-trainers for my general taste, but it makes it somewhat work out.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom