• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

My most recent ones are

Seeno and Hearno - Panpour and Pansear.

Haxorus - Rena, from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. (Axe crazy, and her ability is Rivalry). I was also considering Lizzy(Borden).

Some random nicknames of mine that I like are:

Apollo- Emboar
Fancyfeet- Hitmonlee
Tinman- Klinklang
Matterhorn- Mamoswine
Friendly- Vanilluxe (Friendly's is the name of a restaurant known for their ice cream from where I grew up)
Stripes- Furret
Mr. Mud- Seismitoad
Zoom- Pidgeot
Blue- Gabite
Rainbow- Beautifly
Swiss- Raticate (Both a play on Swiss cheese and because he's my "HM Slave" he's like a Swiss Army knife: He does everything)

I just pull up the baby name directory and type in a random meaning that I want the name to be.

Right now, I have a Politoed named Mizu, which means water in Japanese. Strangely enough, I have a Parasect named Morpheous, which means "Bringer of dreams."

I just pull up the baby name directory and type in a random meaning that I want the name to be.

Right now, I have a Politoed named Mizu, which means water in Japanese. Strangely enough, I have a Parasect named Morpheous, which means "Bringer of dreams."

i like that idea! you got a link to a good name-finder site?

i like that idea! you got a link to a good name-finder site?

http://www.babynames.com/Names/search.php

Just put in the meaning you desire (keep it to simple, one word meanings to get the best results), select a gender if you want, and then click the button!

Even if you don't select a gender, they color code the names that come up. Pink is girl, blue is boy, purple is unisex.

I nicknamed my Black team after Roman emperors.

Samurott - Octavius
Unfezant - Ceasar
Excadrill - Tiberius
Darmanitan - Caligula
Leavanny - Claudius
Haxorus - Augustus

I thought of naming Combee Mieltrois ミエルツヮ. 'Mitsu' refers to the fact that there are 3 bees in the Japanese name, so I decided to use the 'mi' and 'tsu' in the name. Miel means honey in French, and Trois (Tswa) is 3. Only question is... why the hell would I want to use a Combee? Meh, I guess there's always Pokethlon.

I have a paras name Mycepin, from Mycenae, the Latin name for mushroom, and pinch.

Last edited:
On Blue (Disregarding Mew, as it has no nickname):
Wartortle= Kamex (Blastoise's JP Name)
Beedrill= Buzapis (Buzz + Apis, the Bee genus [I think.])
Pikachu= Dian Shu (In Mandarin Chinese, Dian is Electricity, and Shu is mouse/rat.)
Rattata= Ratta (Simple enough)
Spearow= Stormy (DONT ASK. I had a Spearow named Storm on FireRed.)

On Black (Disregarding Victini, much like Mew):
Dewott: Woterror (Water+Otter+Terror)
Herdier: Terry (As in Terrier, which Lillipup looked liked)
Boldore: Gorola (Not sure why, probably wanted to include Rola in there.)
Emolga: Voltesla (Volt+Tesla [as in Tesla Coil.)
Zorua: Asher (If memory is with me, I'm pretty sure it's the Hebrew word for Happy.)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and one of my friends once had an army of Cranidos' on her Diamond version, and one of them was named "GrandCranyn", as in "Grand Cranyon", a spoof of the Grand Canyon :lol:

i named my klinklang 'perpetuum', because in the description it says that kling rotates gears with other kling to generate energy, which made me think of the perpetuum mobilee, which generates more energy than it uses.

Whenever I catch a Pikachu I call it Sparky, but I'm not entirely sure why. I think there may have been a character in the cartoon that called their Pika that.

I give my pokemon nicknames based on other games usually. My starter is usually named Jiub (kudos if you get the reference!), others are named off of characters or creatures that they resemble or characters that are in similar locations in other games.

Ever since they introduced the Unown in Gold & Silver, I would always capture the complete set of them and named each of them after the letter or shape they took after.

For example, this one...

201.png

...would be "Unown A".

And this one...

201QU.png

...would be "Unown ?".

I also caught a shiny Hypno once in Gold version and nicknamed it "Pink Hypno", even though it was more purple than pink in that game. Most of my Pokémon I preferred to just keep in their original names.

My entire team is named after musicians:
- Samurott (female) -> Izumi (from Izumi Sakai, Zard)
- Lilligant -> Bonnie Pink (because she's cute but strong, and awesome)
- Victini -> Mercury (Legendary, Victory - "We are the champions", and ambiguous gender xD)
- Archeops -> Lennon (An old and great classic)
- Volcarona -> Sting (I didn't think this so much)
- Zekrom -> Jackson (Same as Victini, and "Black or White")

Female? It's a trap...
At the same line, in Black:

- Emboar -> Al (Yankovic)
- Stoutland -> Thom Yorke (from Yorterrie, japanese name for Lillipup)
- Simisage -> Elvis (obvious hair pun)
- Archeops -> Kazu (Kazu Makino, Blonde Redhead)
- Haxorus -> Cobain
- Reshiram -> Michael (complement to Jackson above)

Another White game I started when Dream World was launched:

- Serperior -> Axl (Rose, of course)
- Simipour -> Marley (because of rasta look)
- Luxray -> K'naan (African musician)
- Sigilyph -> Alquinta (from the deceased leader of Los Jaivas, a legendary folk-rock band from my country, Chile. Sigilyph concept origins are strongly connected with Latin America, and also its look is kinda hippie, so the nick fits well)
- Haxorus (female) -> Yui (a japanese singer)
- Volcarona (female) -> Debbie (Harry, Blondie)

You've got really cool and well-thought out nicknames, Sennen_Goroshi. XD I like them.

I don't nickname my pokemon, but my friend traded me her Steelix that she nicknamed Paperclip. Her reasoning? "Paperweight" wouldn't fit. I still think it's funny.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom