• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

I'd rather those than Chat-fics on Archive, though any issue if I give my own thoughts on this trope?
Ugh, now chat-fics really rub me the wrong way. Talk about a downright lazy writing format. Unless someone I trusted recommended one to me, you'd have to pay me to sit down and read such a thing myself.

While I don't really like Kukui as Ash's bio-father, I do actually like the idea of Kukui as a step-father or father-figure if developed that way in a fanfic, versus just thrusting the idea (Kukui adopts orphaned Ash, for example.)
I probably should've prefaced my comment with something to the effect of, "unless well-developed in the text and presented in an otherwise credible manner," something many authors just fail to do. (Heck, I'll believe the "Giovanni-is-Ash's-father" rubbish they tried to feed me in Pokemon Live! back when I was eight so long as the writer does such a damn good job that I suspend my disbelief.)

A case of 'Step Father after # chapters or paragraphs'.

Now I'll admit that pretty much every thought I had of Kukui as Ash's step-father is also combined with it being a case of Delia x Kukui x Burnett. As I've said before, I like multi-ships and dislike shipping wars, so it isn't quite what you see a lot and feel the need to vent about.

For the curious, it would also basically follow the logic of this quote by G. R R Martin (...)
Not to nitpick, but it's J.R.R. Martin. (I'm only pointing this out because I'm a bookseller, so my job kind of depends on my knowing these things. Laughs.) I don't actually mind multiships at all, either. But I find the whole arrangement to be a tad... bizarre? I don't know about you, but I for one have difficulty envisioning Delia, a woman who's the quintessential traditional housewife, being involved in a polygamous relationship. Kukui and Burnett? Not so much.

Kukui in context hardly being 'Kukui the Cruel', but something like this.

Delia: I mean, I'm surprised I'm as open to the idea of being your second wife...but people will object.

Kukui: They can object to Incineroar.

Burnett: Now, say yes so I can have a step-son.

....Yeah, I'm odd seeing as I've thought of a few stories, all with Shudo's light novels or examining AU 'dark fic' material in new and less murdersome ways, where such a thing happens. But at least neither Delia nor Burnett suddenly turn evil in them.
I just hate when people take those "evil" routes without good cause. It's basically a simple, (not to mention lazy) way of deflecting any complicated elements of a situation upon a single party. It'd be nicer if more people could work through such things in their writing as opposed to sweeping them under the rug, so to speak.

So I'm not against the idea. It's the execution that can throw me off.

James kick evolving that Magikarp was apparently so funny authors just love having the fish get yelled that and then evolve and splash on the trainer’s remains a few minutes later.

Not to nitpick, but it's J.R.R. Martin. (I'm only pointing this out because I'm a bookseller, so my job kind of depends on my knowing these things. Laughs.)

Oh boy. Guess you'd better be worried for your job, then.

I'm not really a fan of chat-fics, though I suspect some authors do them because they just don't know how to write a story in prose. Which is really something you can only solve by actually reading as opposed to discussing stories, especially as they're told through the medium of video games

Can you guys clarify something, for me? Chat fics are script fics, right.

Also, another cliche: Competent!Team Rocket. I'm not opposed to it. In fact, I've seen it done well and I think I've done it pretty well myself, but lots of writers think that to be competent Team Rocket needs to lose literally every character trait that makes them who they are.

Can you guys clarify something, for me? Chat fics are script fics, right.

Also, another cliche: Competent!Team Rocket. I'm not opposed to it. In fact, I've seen it done well and I think I've done it pretty well myself, but lots of writers think that to be competent Team Rocket needs to lose literally every character trait that makes them who they are.

I'll admit I am more annoyed by seeing fics where the organization of T.R is a bit too super powerful and dangerous.

How many stories must they burn Pallet Town or put hits out on Ash (or Red, but mostly Ash as the guy has a personality)

Haha. Well, I guess I confounded the two. :bulbaFacepalm: Don't tell my bosses! Homer dozed and forgot, people make mistakes. (In my defense, No one in my workplace refers to Martin as "G." but rather "George"...)

Definitely seconding the Rocket sentiment. If we're talking Gio or original grunts--maybe Butch and Cassidy, depending--I could conceivably see Rocket winning the day with some hassle. The TRio? Eh... I like Jesse and James and Meowth for the losers they are. Better they bungle their way to a victory, since it wouldn't cost them their personalities.

Truth or Dare fics peeves me, they're everywhere on Wattpad and they are very horrible in terms of writing and the author always has to be some godly figure

Truth or Dare fics peeves me, they're everywhere on Wattpad and they are very horrible in terms of writing and the author always has to be some godly figure
I didn't even know such a thing existed, but then again I avoid Wattpad like the plague. Care to elaborate?

I didn't even know such a thing existed, but then again I avoid Wattpad like the plague. Care to elaborate?
Truth or Dare fics are usually those Fanfics where the characters of a fandom is summoned in a room by the author and the have to do dare and answer truth questions asked by the reader, usually in these Fanfics the author is a godly figure that controls the environment and characters by snapping their fingers, they are usually poorly written like it came out of an Instagram DM RP.

Truth or Dare fics are usually those Fanfics where the characters of a fandom is summoned in a room by the author and the have to do dare and answer truth questions asked by the reader, usually in these Fanfics the author is a godly figure that controls the environment and characters by snapping their fingers, they are usually poorly written like it came out of an Instagram DM RP.
That's even worse than chat fics, like the sort of thing that one would find on Tumblr. But now that I think about it, I might have seen some submissions of that ilk made to the Undertale tag on AO3. I'm glad it hasn't cropped up in the Pokemon section (at least, not yet).

That's even worse than chat fics, like the sort of thing that one would find on Tumblr. But now that I think about it, I might have seen some submissions of that ilk made to the Undertale tag on AO3. I'm glad it hasn't cropped up in the Pokemon section (at least, not yet).
There's enough of those on Quotev and Wattpad to give me headache

Honestly, what is it with the latest generation of self-professed "writers" these days on Wattpad and Quotev? They wouldn't know the difference between parody and self-indulgent word mush if it came and slapped them in the face.

Honestly, what is it with the latest generation of self-professed "writers" these days on Wattpad and Quotev? They wouldn't know the difference between parody and self-indulgent word mush if it came and slapped them in the face.
Exactly, I hardly ever read self inserts because of this, but I do write mighty good OC fics don't wanna brag tho

Exactly, I hardly ever read self inserts because of this, but I do write mighty good OC fics don't wanna brag tho
Not all SIs are bad, but more often than not it's exactly what it says on the can at the end of the day: wish-fulfillment. It takes plenty more skill and passion to breathe life into your own character. I hate that I have to restrict myself to AO3 to avoid the quagmires of subpar work of that type.

(Also, why not advertise your work over in the Fic Advertisement Thread? I'd love to give it a look, and I'm sure it couldn't hurt!)

Not all SIs are bad, but more often than not it's exactly what it says on the can at the end of the day: wish-fulfillment. It takes plenty more skill and passion to breathe life into your own character. I hate that I have to restrict myself to AO3 to avoid the quagmires of subpar work of that type.

(Also, why not advertise your work over in the Fic Advertisement Thread? I'd love to give it a look, and I'm sure it couldn't hurt!)
I agree and yeah I'll go advertise Leah's Grand Adventure on that thread.

Not all SIs are bad, but more often than not it's exactly what it says on the can at the end of the day: wish-fulfillment.
That reminds me, but there's a really common plot on Fimfiction called Displaced, where the premise is "I was dressed as a character at a convention, then I bought something and ended up in Equestria as that character." Every time I see one, I wonder why it had to be a My Little Pony crossover instead of a normal self-insert fanfic of whatever the character they were dressed as comes from. Some of them are Pokémon crossovers, so it's on-topic, I guess.

I don't like the design of AO3 that much. It's just as voidlike as Fanfiction.net, only there are more tags and the "add chapter" system actually makes sense. Why is Fimfiction the only fanfic site with colours?

That reminds me, but there's a really common plot on Fimfiction called Displaced, where the premise is "I was dressed as a character at a convention, then I bought something and ended up in Equestria as that character." Every time I see one, I wonder why it had to be a My Little Pony crossover instead of a normal self-insert fanfic of whatever the character they were dressed as comes from. Some of them are Pokémon crossovers, so it's on-topic, I guess.

I don't like the design of AO3 that much. It's just as voidlike as Fanfiction.net, only there are more tags and the "add chapter" system actually makes sense. Why is Fimfiction the only fanfic site with colours?
Dunno, but the best MLP Pokémon Crossover I've read was on Fanfiction and well the plot goes with Bonnie dies and finds herself in Equestria and follows the plot of the first and second season of MLP, that fanfic even has a sequel, but it was discontinued

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom