• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Co-Ordinators...trainers too?

Habunake

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I see alot of people act like Co-Ordinators aren't trainers...but, just because they don't do Gyms, should they be treated as non-trainers?

I mean, they raise Pokemon, get a Pokedex, teach them moves, and compete against others...just in different ways. And we see them train Pokemon.

Should Co-Ordinators be considered merely a type of trainer of a whole 'nother thing entirely?

Whether your a Coordinator, Breeder or aspiring to be a Pokemon master... you are, in the end, a Pokemon trainer. So yeah, they are simply another variant in the long list of different types of Pokemon trainers. (I don't know if that really made sense, but I think you can understand what I mean.)

I always looked at it as anyone who battles or raises pokemon is considered a trainer. Because, I thought trainers went into different catagories . . league trainers, co-ordinators, breeders, entertainment, etc.

I consider anyone with a Pokémon a trainer, as long as they aren't just sitting on their butt and doing nothing with it.

Because they lack a better name trainers that do gym challenge and compete in leagues are what I call "true trainers". Despite all Pokemon handlers being trainers, most others have special titles they're known by. But that's just me.

Pokemon Co-ordernators train their pokemon, so I'd call them Pokemon Trainers.

One thing that's funny about the coordinators in the anime is that they have to do just as much battling as regular trainers.

Well, slightly less, since you only need to win 5 Contests per region whereas trainers need to win 8 Gym badges. But I think the only reason the writers did that is so May and Dawn can lose some Contests along the way. Technically May entered 7 Contests in Hoenn, and 7 in Battle Frontier (along with the GF's, so it more or less evens out with the amount of Gyms), while Dawn has so far lost in 1 Contest and competed in an unofficial one, bringing her up to a grand total of 3 Contests so far despite only having 1 ribbon.

But another reason for this is the writers purposely making May/Dawn less important than Ash, and that could be another reason you only need 5 ribbons versus 8 badges...because the writers still want us to know that Ash is THE most important character, no matter how much screentime a coordinator gets on the side.

A bit off topic, but they should make a G/S remake and add in pokemon contests! So there are 3 things to compleate, Jotoh leage, Kanto leage and the best coordanator.

Well, slightly less, since you only need to win 5 Contests per region whereas trainers need to win 8 Gym badges.

They actually do more, if you count just number of matches. the gym battles (if you don't lose and have to challenge again) would be 8 battles, but getting five ribbons would involve 10+ battles, since every contest has multiple rounds.

Heck, I consider Delia a trainer, and she doesn't do shit with Mimey other than have him help around the house.

Compare with Almond from MPJ who calls himself a trainer despite not having a single pokemon (Squirtle isn't really "his").

Because they lack a better name trainers that do gym challenge and compete in leagues are what I call "true trainers". Despite all Pokemon handlers being trainers, most others have special titles they're known by. But that's just me.

have you considered "League competitors" or "Gym challengers" as a viable term?

"League competitor" wouldn't work since that only works for those who make it to the League. Gym Challenger would work better.

However they haven't called Ash anything more than a trainer. Perhaps we should write a nasty letter to the writers.

I've always thought coordinators were trainers/battlers/whatever, since they do train pokemon, and they battle with them (just in a different style than the gym challengers). In the first DP episode, Ayako even said that in order to be a good coordinator, you must also be a good trainer (or something along those lines).

As Johanna mentions in DP1, you do need the skills of a trainer to be a good coordinator.

As Johanna mentions in DP1, you do need the skills of a trainer to be a good coordinator.

The Drew Vs. Ash battle in early AG touched on upon this too. The fact that we're still debating this after Contests have been in the anime for nearly 5 years is simply mind boggling.

Well, they would need to train if they fight in the contests in the anime right?

In 'Now that's flower power' May and other coodinators are referred to as trainers. This may just be the dub though.......

Just because some trainers like to be in little beauty shows with their Pokemon using a lot of sparkles and flare, it doesn't make them not a trainer.

One thing that's funny about the coordinators in the anime is that they have to do just as much battling as regular trainers.

Well, slightly less, since you only need to win 5 Contests per region whereas trainers need to win 8 Gym badges. But I think the only reason the writers did that is so May and Dawn can lose some Contests along the way. Technically May entered 7 Contests in Hoenn, and 7 in Battle Frontier (along with the GF's, so it more or less evens out with the amount of Gyms), while Dawn has so far lost in 1 Contest and competed in an unofficial one, bringing her up to a grand total of 3 Contests so far despite only having 1 ribbon.

But another reason for this is the writers purposely making May/Dawn less important than Ash, and that could be another reason you only need 5 ribbons versus 8 badges...because the writers still want us to know that Ash is THE most important character, no matter how much screentime a coordinator gets on the side.
Actually, I believe it's because, in the game, there are only five areas where Pokemon can compete in contests; Beauty, Cool, Tough, Smart, Cute. The anime takes a different spin on it, but the five catagories equal the five contest ribbons.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom