• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

He knew where to start- The lady in a paras/parasect episode told him that Charmeleon lost respect for Ash and he had to regain it. But Ash did no efforts to regain respect (or even a simple training session!).
Well I find that fact that Charmeleon lost respect for Ash to be BS do to the fact if it took one thing for Charmeleon to lose all respect he had for Ash forgetting everything he did for him in the past like saving his life i'm sorry but I find that to be dumb.

Shinji was clearly abusive toward his pokemon. But this show has a tendency to tolerate abusive behavior. They still do it, just look at SM episode 66. At least they humiliated Shinji by making him lose to a pokemon he deemed worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I find that fact that Charmeleon lost respect for Ash to be BS do to the fact if it took one thing for Charmeleon to lose all respect he had for Ash forgetting everything he did for him in the past like saving his life i'm sorry but I find that to be dumb.
Yeah but as a Pokemon evolves they aren't going to have the same personality. As Charmander is a starter Pokemon so starters usually respect their trainers as they are also new. So it makes sense as it evolves it doesn't respect the trainer anymore. Kind of like how you thought something as cool as a little kid but as an adult, it's now pathetic.

But this show has a tendency to tolerate abusive behavior.

Not really. I haven't seen SM yet (maybe I should but the only thing I like so far is the art style) but I do remember Team Plasma doing something like that and everyone tried to stop them the whole time for abusing Pokemon for their own power. As for Shinji, it's my belief that he isn't an abuser, but several characters did lecture him about his battle style including the champion (low key).

I think the first season is kind of boring, Ash & co.'s interactions aside, the animation was more often than not pretty cheap looking and there was a lot of really boring filler episodes, mostly leading up the indigo leauge.

Ash & co.'s interactions aside, the animation was more often than not pretty cheap looking and there was a lot of really boring filler episodes, mostly leading up the indigo leauge.
I don't mind the Indigo League myself because it pretty much was a beta test for them. I think that the filler episodes could have definitely improved but they needed to gauge with ones are popular and which ones weren't so they can improve in Johto. The animation was ok for an old-ish TV show and I find the animation and the drawings very nostalgic. :p

Really it was part 2 of the Ash vs Alain battle that I didn't liked part 1 was fine, but part 2 felt rushed as a whole.

I thought most of part 2 was good but the end felt anticlimactic. Couldn't they have given Alan some surprise tactic that Ash wasn't prepared for? Nope, Charizard's invincible.

I thought most of part 2 was good but the end felt anticlimactic. Couldn't they have given Alan some surprise tactic that Ash wasn't prepared for? Nope, Charizard's invincible.

This is a really interesting take that I haven't seen very often.

It really would've been better if Alain won, but in a "smarter" kind of way.

A good chunk of his fighting in the league generally just felt like he was blasting through everything with sheer power, when you think he'd be more technical too. (Although to be fair, Ash did this sometimes too... RIP, Altaria OHKO'd by a resisted move...)

I'm also still annoyed at how they handled Trevor vs Alain, since the battle as a whole made Trevor look stupid, when he shouldn't be if he managed to get 8 badges, a Mega, and he's a bookish sort of person. Like, animeverse Kalos gyms aren't just some joke, they seem fairly challenging. Also, his Charizard has a crap movepool, especially since in the anime, Dragon Tail and Dragon Claw might as well be the same attack. Plus, it's not a Greninja kind of case, where a normally bad moveset becomes far more powerful and versatile than usual.

Of course I don't think Trevor should've won, but they could've at least portrayed him as more of a genuinely clever guy who lost for a more logical reason.

Last edited:
This is a really interesting take that I haven't seen very often.

It really would've been better if Alain won, but in a "smarter" kind of way.

A a good chunk of his fighting in the league generally just felt like he was blasting through everything with sheer power, when you think he'd be more technical too. (Although to be fair, Ash did this sometimes too... RIP, Altaria OHKO'd by a resisted move...)

I'm also still annoyed at how they handled Trevor vs Alain, since the battle as a whole made Trevor look stupid, when he shouldn't be if he managed to get 8 badges, a Mega, and he's a bookish sort of person. Like, animeverse Kalos gyms aren't just some joke, they seem fairly challenging. Also, his Charizard has a crap movepool, especially since in the anime, Dragon Tail and Dragon Claw might as well be the same attack. Plus, it's not a Greninja kind of case, where a normally bad moveset becomes far more powerful and versatile than usual.

Of course I don't think Trevor should've won, but they could've at least portrayed him as more of a genuinely clever guy who lost for a more logical reason.

That always bothered me about the match too. I know that they wanted to hype up Alain as a big threat, even though that wasn't really that necessary, but they didn't have to make Trevor look like a complete joke. He never really showed any interest in battling, so his inclusion in the Kalos League was especially strange.

Sawyer vs. Tierno was done for similar reasons. They wanted to establish Sawyer as a strong trainer for Ash to overcome. This was more of a necessity compared to Alain vs. Trevor since we hadn't seen Mega Sceptitle yet. More importantly, the match wasn't completely one-sided. Both trainers got to show off a good amount of skills and it did still come down to the wire. They didn't have Sawyer sweep his match with just one Pokemon. That made the match much more enjoyable than Alain vs. Trevor was and it's probably my favorite match in the Kalos League as well.

-Tokuto will always serve more purpose than Alain. Tokuto ironically, made Ash appear competent by giving him his greatest challenge and still allowing him to overcome it.

-Kengo should of never lost in the first round in the Grand Festival. We already got the message of how competitive contests were by that point. Dawn only having a 3rd win against Ursula and a rushed win against Jessie, and a battle where she was playing catch-up with Zoey in which she lost by a hair, were not enough to complete Dawn's closure I felt.

It does not help that one of Dawn's GF battles were skipped entirely (we just saw a Piplup and Pachirisu montage) Having Dawn vs Kenny in Top 8 and having it be EPIC, would've been an awesome track record for Dawn. Towards the end it felt as if the Grand Festival was more about Zoey then Dawn.

The trial battles against the captain are probably the best things about the trials (anime-wise), the Totem based stuff has been quite crap for the most part (yeah looking at you Lurantis, you boring one move only twit).

The trial battles against the captain are probably the best things about the trials (anime-wise), the Totem based stuff has been quite crap for the most part (yeah looking at you Lurantis, you boring one move only twit).
If trials do appear in Gen 8, the anime needs to think harder about its implementation. They have been poorly executed and there hasn't been much problem solving which I was looking forward to seeing in the anime especially with Ash's new drawing which could show off more of his personality e.g. a goofy look in a hard puzzle and the sense of achievement.

I also feel like they kinda drop the ball with double battles in SM

Like I really liked the Ash vs Olympia double battle in XY, but since then, I haven't seen one that really wowed me.

Olivia's battle was pretty nice, but lost some points in my eyes because of how they arbitrarily changed some things without really explaining it (Stealth Rock working differently, a Z-Move being avoidable without Dig/Fly). The anime has this weird thing with explaining obvious things, but not bothering to explain a lot of the weird stuff it pulls.

I also think it's kinda debatable that Ash should've won that battle on his first try, but overall it doesn't bother me that much.

Back
Top Bottom