• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

WARNING
Those of you who prefer the Japanese version, do not open this spoiler, because I’ve got some really strong opinions here!

1. I prefer Maddie Blaustein over Inoko Inuyama.
2. I like “Brother, My Brother” (Dogasu, please don’t kill me for this one).
3. I like Lisa Ortiz’s voices on the show.
4. The dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back wasn’t all that bad (see #2).
5. 4Kids was justified in removing jokes that wouldn’t work in English. Remember, just because it was in the Japanese version doesn’t mean it was actually good.
True. That is why SM's humor doesnt work in the West. The meaning gets lost in the translation

I would definitely be in the majority that in agreeing that not keeping the show in a floating timeline (ala The Simpsons) would be a good thing, but I don't think every Pokémon in Ash's team or all together need to evolve to accomplish that direction. Definitely cut down on the aversion of them evolving, but some work as is.

And yes I put Pikachu at the top of that list.

The Lunala/Lillie connection was the most forced thing ever.
It felt random to me, too, to the point that Lunala/Gladion connection makes more sense to me than Lunala/Lillie.

Overall the Ultra Guardian's role felt really passive in that the only thing they had to do was "send energy". I appreciate the concept it that it is unique, but again, it doesn't feel like any of them did much.
I felt that it fit into Alola's aesthetic as it’s the region with the most focus on people, so the entire region working together to 'revive' Necrozma made sense.

But yeah, anyone not named Ash and Gladion could’ve done better. They could’ve atleast attacked Necrozma while it was busy trying to fuse with Solgaleo and Lunala in the first two arc episodes. They literally just watched everything happening.
Not to mention them not doing anything when Necrozma was trying to kill them in Poipole's world.

While the TRio are good comedic villains, and adapting the antagonist from the games is move they must always make, I believe the anime benefits from original villains/antagonist just as much, whether they're a villain of the day like the Vivillon smuggler from XY or a reoccurring one like Hunter J and the evil Malamar. It shows that the people behind the anime are very much capable of being original when they try and it's always a nice change of pace.

While the TRio are good comedic villains, and adapting the antagonist from the games is move they must always make, I believe the anime benefits from original villains/antagonist just as much, whether they're a villain of the day like the Vivillon smuggler from XY or a reoccurring one like Hunter J and the evil Malamar. It shows that the people behind the anime are very much capable of being original when they try and it's always a nice change of pace.
Or it could be like SM and the original villain we have is just a Hate Sink and nothing else.

4. The dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back wasn’t all that bad (see #2).

Eh. Seeing as I loathe the first movie in general, I can't say that the dubbed version was worse to me than the original version was, minus the soundtrack of course. Y'all can like Brother My Brother (4Kids' hypocritical, washed-down version of Imagine) as much as you want for nostalgia's sake, but the non-vocal dub tracks were inferior to Shinji Miyazaki's score. #sorrynotsorry

So on the old subject of Serena's Showcases, I think I would have liked if Pancham would have evolved or if she would have have caught an 'ugly' Pokemon, like how Dawn had Mamoswine. Showcases are all about beauty and showing the connections between trainer and Pokemon, so why not have Serena struggle with trying to make something like Gogoat or something from the Mudkip(ORAS representation) line presentable? Braixen, Pancham and Sylveon are all cute pokemon, so course they'd be popular.

So on the old subject of Serena's Showcases, I think I would have liked if Pancham would have evolved or if she would have have caught an 'ugly' Pokemon, like how Dawn had Mamoswine. Showcases are all about beauty and showing the connections between trainer and Pokemon, so why not have Serena struggle with trying to make something like Gogoat or something from the Mudkip(ORAS representation) line presentable? Braixen, Pancham and Sylveon are all cute pokemon, so course they'd be popular.

Tripping was already her team's Achilles' heel in Showcases; did her Pokemon really need more obstacles to overcome?

Well, there was one trainer that used Scraggy, maybe that's the reason why she is so popular. Ivysaur and Farfetch'd aren't exactly cute either.

And I personally think Aromatisse is fug..unappealing, to say the least.

Tripping was already her team's Achilles' heel in Showcases; did her Pokemon really need more obstacles to overcome?
Tripping's not really an obstacle, though. It doesn't prove that your bad nor does it say the other Pokemon are better, and its not like Fennekin was tripping all over itself before they started preforming. But struggling, failing and then succeeding to make this 'ugly' pokemon appealing could she that she has with it takes.

So maybe it's just me but, Poipole seemed like a pretty irrelevant part of the cast with it seeming like they were trying to do Nebby 2.0 only worse. Whereas Nebby had an entire subplot built around itself and even factored into development of Lillie and the finale of the first arc, Poipole was kinda just there. It never really did anything other than cuddling with Pikachu or justified being put into Ash's team for its time with the group. Even Nebby who was a literal baby ended up evolving as an integral plot point and returned for the Necrozma story. What was even the point of Poipole?

In Who Gets to Keep Togepi? I think Ash or Brock should've captured the aforementioned Pokémon instead of Misty.

This. Misty did nothing with Togepi and I feel like it would had helped Ash more in the long run.
I've already talked about this subject before on this thread, but let me say it again: I kinda agree.

First off: Misty had absolutely nothing to do with raising the Egg. It was Ash who found it and Brock who took care of it. Heck, even Meowth took more care of it than Misty did! But then, when it came time for it to hatch, Misty just shoved Ash and Brock aside to see better, and this selfish act is why Togepi first saw Misty after hatching and got imprinted on her. Misty, the only person in the entire trio who had done nothing at all with the Egg before this, gets the honor of having the hatched Pokémon for herself? Yeah. Talk about unfair. And it was all because of her selfish behavior.

Second: what did Togepi end up getting to do with Misty? Not much, to be honest. It was used in a battle only once, and even then, its opponent, Pikachu, only lost because it couldn't bring itself to hurt an innocent baby. Most of Togepi's time was spent either just being in Misty's arms or acting cute (or, as a certain Poké Fan once put it, being "a walking death wish"). And to be honest, watching those shenanigans as an experienced Pokémon fan can get really old really fast. Especially frustrating to me is how dense and slow the main characters were to learn of Togepi's Metronome. Really, the only thing that Togepi did with Misty that had any major impact on Misty herself was giving her a new character trait: after she got it, she started becoming more motherly and less of a jerk. That's basically why Togepi was given to her instead of Ash or Brock. Also probably because they wanted the cute little baby to go to the female member of the group, even if was given to her, as stated above, in a very forced way.

First off: Misty had absolutely nothing to do with raising the Egg. It was Ash who found it and Brock who took care of it. Heck, even Meowth took more care of it than Misty did! But then, when it came time for it to hatch, Misty just shoved Ash and Brock aside to see better, and this selfish act is why Togepi first saw Misty after hatching and got imprinted on her. Misty, the only person in the entire trio who had done nothing at all with the Egg before this, gets the honor of having the hatched Pokémon for herself? Yeah. Talk about unfair. And it was all because of her selfish behavior.

Second: what did Togepi end up getting to do with Misty? Not much, to be honest. It was used in a battle only once, and even then, its opponent, Pikachu, only lost because it couldn't bring itself to hurt an innocent baby. Most of Togepi's time was spent either just being in Misty's arms or acting cute (or, as a certain Poké Fan once put it, being "a walking death wish"). And to be honest, watching those shenanigans as an experienced Pokémon fan can get really old really fast. Especially frustrating to me is how dense and slow the main characters were to learn of Togepi's Metronome. Really, the only thing that Togepi did with Misty that had any major impact on Misty herself was giving her a new character trait: after she got it, she started becoming more motherly and less of a jerk. That's basically why Togepi was given to her instead of Ash or Brock. Also probably because they wanted the cute little baby to go to the female member of the group, even if was given to her, as stated above, in a very forced way.
I agree with all of this.

I agree with all of this.
As much as I hate how forced it was, I think they made the right choice in giving Togepi to Misty.
I don’t know if I ever mentioned this before, but I absolutely HATE Misty. There, I said it. Why do I hate her so much? Let me put it this way; I think she’s an annoying, whiny crybaby. I hate how she treats Ash all the time, and no one, not even Brock, ever calls her out for it. And what she did to Ash’s Caterpie was just unforgivable. #justiceforcaterpie
There are some instances where she can be funny, like whenever she gets scared of bugs or when she’s arguing with Psyduck, but, for the most part, she’s an irredeemable mess.
That being said, I find her to be more tolerable after she becomes Togepi’s guardian. A lot of the more rabid parts of the fan base (to be specific, a lot of PokéShippers) disagree, however. They say that it “ruined” Misty’s personality. And in the case of more crazy individuals, they believe that Togepi is draining Misty of all her energy (lol!). Excuse me? Sorry to burst your bubble, PokéShippers, but Misty has no personality. Unlike Ash (who has his goal of becoming a Pokémon Master) and Brock (who wants to be a Pokémon Breeder/Doctor, while also trying to win the hearts of the ladies), Misty’s only there by coincidence. She just wants Ash to get her a new bike. That’s pretty much it. When Togepi came along, Misty slowly matured into a nice and caring individual. She still didn’t have any personality, but at least she was yelling a lot less often.

Sorry to ramble on like this, but I needed to get it out of my system.

Back
Top Bottom