• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

That's not the point. It speaks volumes that he did knock out multiple Weezing in a singular strike, while Orla's Metagross (!) could at best cause only one an injury played for comedic effect. And that doesn't address how Cap kept the remaining swarm of Weezing at bay by his lonesome, to give Friede & Orla enough time to generate the excess smog. He, and Friede by extension, contributed largely to the climax of the episode. Which is, again, where the consternation is coming from as it is a recurring pattern.
Yeah, this exactly. God forbid that a pseudo-legendary of all things be able to handle a threat that it has a double type advantage over. No, instead Metagross deserves to be portrayed as an incompetent wimp who can't fight its own battles because how dare it not be a marketable mascot.

Yeah, this exactly. God forbid that a pseudo-legendary of all things be able to handle a threat that it has a double type advantage over. No, instead Metagross deserves to be portrayed as an incompetent wimp who can't fight its own battles because how dare it not be a marketable mascot.
Honestly, I don't really hate the idea of a pseudo-legendary struggling a bit, even if it is against a Pokémon that it has a type advantage over. However, if they keep showing it struggle all the time or give the win to someone that has already shown itself to be competent time and time again, then yes, it would be tiresome and get dull really quickly. It does seem like Horizons is constantly doing the later.

Last edited:
That was completely undermined by the fact that Friede came up with the plan and gave her orders; she couldn't even grasp what he was doing, ultimately deciding just to trust him because he's "Friede."

What does it matter who came up with the idea, specifically? Plans are meaningless if you don't have someone to execute them.

He asked her to do something, fully confident she would succeed, and she did. Flawlessly

Heck, one could argue doing something based off of little info only makes it more impressive.

I'm just saying it's unfair to Orla to dismiss her accomplishment purely because it wasn't her idea. It was a team effort.

She literally states as much during the episode. We must have differing definitions as what characterizes a character's moment, because that was not it as far as I'm concerned. Nothing of value would have been lost to have Orla realize herself (and subsequently make a plan to execute) that producing excess smog would calm the Weezing; that would arguably be her moment as a character to stand on her own feet, especially in her first focus episode.

I don't disagree with that notion, but at the same time, Friede is the smart guy, Orla is the tech girl.

They're childhood friends who trust each other completely. That's the entire crux of their relationship.

It's why the RVTs even exist, because Friede trusted Orla could build an airship even though she'd never done it.

Yeah, this exactly. God forbid that a pseudo-legendary of all things be able to handle a threat that it has a double type advantage over.

But it did. Metagross easily sent the first Weezing flying. The mistake was that it didn't faint.

Second, what does being a pseudo have to do with anything.

We've seen Pokemon normally thought of as weak be shown as strong. Why does every pseudo have to uber powerful? We've seen dozens of strong Metagross before. It is a crime if one isn't on the same level?

Also, if type matchups are why Metagross should win, I could argue Weezing being able to learn a variety of Fire, Dark, and Ghost moves means it could just as easily lose.

Last edited:
What does it matter who came up with the idea, specifically? Plans are meaningless if you don't have someone to execute them.

He asked her to do something, fully confident she would succeed, and she did. Flawlessly

Heck, one could argue doing something based off of little info only makes it more impressive.

I'm just saying it's unfair to Orla to dismiss her accomplishment purely because it wasn't her idea. It was a team effort.
Because God forbid a character actually get to think for themselves in what is their own character episode especially when it comes to a solution that relies on their own area of expertise. Friede gets enough moments to show that he’s the leader within the main plot but the writers won’t even let characters stand out on their own in what is a low stakes filler episode about them. The Sun doesn’t need to rise and set based on Friede’s presence. At a point he and Cap end up coming across as a Spotlight Stealing Squad.

But it did. Metagross easily sent the first Weezing flying. The mistake was that it didn't faint.

Second, what does being a pseudo have to do with anything.

We've seen Pokemon normally thought of as weak be shown as strong. Why does every pseudo have to uber powerful? We've seen dozens of strong Metagross before. It is a crime if one isn't on the same level?

Also, if type matchups are why Metagross should win, I could argue Weezing being able to learn a variety of Fire, Dark, and Ghost moves means it could just as easily lose.
You're missing the point I'm trying to make that so far every Pokemon in the main cast that isn't Captain Pikachu (and to a lesser extent Friede's Charizard) has been either a helpless damsel that needs to be rescued by the franchise mascot or an antagonist that needs to be defeated by the franchise mascot. Literally every Pokemon so far has to be humiliated just to prop up a freaking Pikachu, the last species in the current Pokedex (besides Charizard, who not coincidentally is the only exception to the "needs Pikachu's help all the time" rule) that needs this kind of shilling. It's getting really old to see a Pikachu be the only thing that's allowed to be competent on its own. We literally saw one of these become the strongest trainer-owned Pokemon in the world last anime saga. But instead of letting it take a backseat to any of the over a thousand species in existence, it has to double down on its spotlight-hogging.

I think ideas/plans have been significant parts of character growth or identity (ex. Team Rocket's plethora of attempts to catch Pikachu) in series, so I would say it matters quite a bit with who is associated with them. For example, Ash's victory over Whitney is a good illustration as to why. After a horrible loss in an official match, a day's events later with Team Rocket saw Ash reflect, conceptualize, and execute his plan to take down Whitney's Miltank. In-universe, he impressed Misty & Brock (and Whitney and her family enough into giving him a Badge right then and there), who thought he wouldn't have been able to devise anything different to beat her. Out-of-universe, it showed viewers that our hero from Pallet Town was no longer relying on pity, luck, or any other weird Indigo League shenanigans to win his important battles - he was developing into a fully realized Trainer capable of battle analysis that lent him more credit as a Trainer. The Counter Shield is another great example of an innovation by Ash, that people remember him for today - even the strongest Trainer in the world (at the time) saw fit to copy Ash's idea and use it for battle. That's compelling and is a reason to why Ash is lauded as a World Champion now.

So, when a character is deprived of having such an idea, when they quite should, it can feel as if they don't have any agency or development of their own. They don't get to be singularly known for something that saved the day, solved the episode's problem, or demonstrate an aspect they have. In this case, Orla's not going to be remembered as single-handedly solving the crisis with her merit and plans alone - Friede will be a part of that, to varying extents depending on one's perspective. And I just don't feel that was fair to her character (and the others, by that extension, who end up getting overshadowed over having to share the stage with Friede and his Pokémon).

I also wouldn't say plans are meaningless if they can't be executed... That's not a criteria for simply having an idea or a suggestion. Could you imagine? "If you can't make your plan happen, don't even bother." We wouldn't be as far as a civilization today if our ancestors didn't plan, dream, and innovate in the past. Brainstorming should be encouraged with and without (within reason, of course) practicality in mind, as the possibilities are endless. And if the original planner can't execute their plan, but someone later can, that doesn't mean the one who conceptualized it doesn't get credit/or associated with it. Dawn planned the Ice Aqua Jet as an appeal, but never got to actually utilize it effectively after it failed during its conception. But, it was something that Ash looked past, embraced the concept, and eventually was able to succeed with a couple times while battling with Buizel (though we still credit it as Dawn's idea, or plan, which ties back to her creativity as a Coordinator).

The closest that Captain Pikachu has come to having trouble was when Amethio had a rematch against him and was taking him more seriously as an opponent, but even then Amethio's Ceruledge wasn't really dominating so much as it was just able to trade blows with Pikachu equally.

As for jokes and slapstick, so far nothing.
Your forgetting where he was basically dragged by Gmoltress. But yeah other than that he basically stomps every battle he is in

Also it's really odd that cap is brimming with personality yet friede Charizard is just there to give rides and battle. Heck I noticed since Ash Charizard, no other prominent Charizard has had a notable personality. Not kiawe, Alain, kiawe, Leon, and now friede

While cap hogging the spotlight Bec he is a shillmon as well is annoying atleast they gave him a pretty entertaining personality. But the other major shillmon of the anime barely has any outside of Ash which is kinda hilarious

Also I noticed that they completely forgot that sprig sweet scent can calm angry mons down but conveniently forgot to use it in the Orla episode because we can't have anything take away from friede and cap jeez

Also you would think liko being saved again will make her want to battle and train like she did in the past when she mentioned "not having regrets " but I guess not

Last edited:
The pokemon voices I have heard for the dub have been... ehhh. Sprigatito is fine though hard to mess up what is litterally just cat noises.
I honestly think most all english dubs of anime sound kinda stiff when it comes to the humans so no opinion there.

The longer Horizons goes on, the more I think Pokemon needs to stop trying to reinvent the anime's formula and just go back to its roots. Horizons really should have been Liko, Roy, and Dot's journeys through the Paldea Region all on their own without the Rising Volt Tacklers. Bring back traveling through a region stopping at various towns, including anime exclusive towns to make the world feel bigger. Give them a reason to feel like they have to grow instead of being supervised all the time by the adults. They really need to just go back to their roots.

Last edited:
The longer Horizons goes on, the more I think Pokemon needs to stop trying to reinvent the anime's formula and just go back to its roots. Horizons really should have been Liko, Roy, and Dot's journeys through the Paldea Region all on their own without the Rising Volt Tacklers. Bring back traveling through a region stopping at various towns, including anime exclusive towns to make the world feel bigger. Give them a reason to feel like they have to grow instead of being supervised all the time by the adults. They really need to just go back to their roots.
Totally agree. Just looking back at older Pokémon openings and comparing them with Horizons, you can really feel that quite a bit of the spirit of Pokémon is missing. If Journeys was essentially making every adventure akin to a day trip then Horizons is basically akin to a school trip where students can’t do anything without their chaperone being present.

What’s worse is that you can see some parallels that occur between SV and Horizons:

A legendary Pokemon who has lost its powers. - Koraidon/Miraidon : Terapagos

Giant sized versions of Pokémon whose encounters slowly allow the legendary Pokemon to regain its power. - Path of Legends : Hero Pokémon

Story begins in school before setting off on adventure

Main cast includes a reclusive girl who is skilled with computers - Penny : Dot

Open world style without a set path - Paldea : the Pokémon World

Story leading to a special location that little is known about - Area Zero : Rakua

I can't really comment on Horizons itself, but I do hope that we'll eventually go back to traveling through a single region. Not having the traveling aspect in SM was a heavy loss, but arguably it still worked out, or at the very least it felt justified due to the larger cast. They couldn't really stretch a four island region into a three year long series and the cast was too large to make more traditional traveling work. We still got to see most of the major locations in Alola, all of the new Pokemon and most of the characters from the games, so changing up the anime's formula didn't come at the expense of the then new games, which I don't think I can say about Journeys.

I didn't dislike Journeys as much as other fans did here, but the world tour format was a big issue due to how poorly it was handle. We had the traveling aspect of the anime back, but when most regions felt like day trips, so much time was spent in Kanto and we got to see so little of Galar, it fell pretty flat. It sounds like Horizons is handling the concept better and not ignoring new Pokemon/characters, which is great. But I'd be pretty disappointed if they just have future series all be set all over the Pokemon world. When the vast majority of regions and their Pokemon have already been featured in their own respective series, being able to showcase various Pokemon from across the different regions instead of focusing on the newest Pokemon with new characters and locations to explore just sounds less appealing. I can understand the appeal from a marketing perpsective. There are so many Pokemon and characters through the franchise's history, so being able to easily feature old and new Pokemon sounds cool, but since I like getting to see new Pokemon, characters and regions in the anime, it's a bit disappointing. At a certain point, assuming that we aren't there already, having a series set in one region would be refreshing, especially for the target audience who possibly weren't even born during XY's run.

Your forgetting where he was basically dragged by Gmoltress.
Galarian Moltres is a Legendary AND an Ancient Hero Pokemon who previously belonged to the most powerful Pokemon trainer in history. Losing to something like that doesn't knock Cap off of any pegs in the slightest.

Also it's really odd that cap is brimming with personality yet friede Charizard is just there to give rides and battle. Heck I noticed since Ash Charizard, no other prominent Charizard has had a notable personality. Not kiawe, Alain, kiawe, Leon, and now friede

While cap hogging the spotlight Bec he is a shillmon as well is annoying atleast they gave him a pretty entertaining personality.
There was the elderly Charizard in the Poketoon short with that girl and the Nidoran with the sleepyness, and a Chronicles episode actually had one that had a timid personality of all things. But yeah, those two aside, all Charizards besides Ash's are essentially battle machines and nothing else.

But I personally just don't care much about Captain Pikachu having a personality because his personality basically boils down to "Look at how cool and awesome I am! Lemme demonstrate my superiority by smugly smirking and crossing my arms constantly!" and to me that's just incredibly annoying when it's being mixed with him hijacking every single important fight from Pokemon that need and deserve the spotlight far more. It makes Cap come off as arrogant and condescending, though I know that's not the intention.

Galarian Moltres is a Legendary AND an Ancient Hero Pokemon who previously belonged to the most powerful Pokemon trainer in history. Losing to something like that doesn't knock Cap off of any pegs in the slightest.

There was the elderly Charizard in the Poketoon short with that girl and the Nidoran with the sleepyness, and a Chronicles episode actually had one that had a timid personality of all things. But yeah, those two aside, all Charizards besides Ash's are essentially battle machines and nothing else.

But I personally just don't care much about Captain Pikachu having a personality because his personality basically boils down to "Look at how cool and awesome I am! Lemme demonstrate my superiority by smugly smirking and crossing my arms constantly!" and to me that's just incredibly annoying when it's being mixed with him hijacking every single important fight from Pokemon that need and deserve the spotlight far more. It makes Cap come off as arrogant and condescending, though I know that's not the intention.
Honestly when it comes down to it, Cap is pretty one-note. People seem to conflate the writers trying too hard to make Cap cool with him actually having personality when in really all he is is a single gimmick. Compare that to Ash’s Pikachu who had an entire range of personality that made him feel like a character rather than just a manufactured cutout. Pikachu could be a leader or he could be as big of a goofball as his trainer. He could be played completely seriously or he could be the target of comedy. He could be caring or could even be a bit mischievous. And through it all, he had his own personal quirks. Compared to that, Cap rings pretty hollow and stoic with it being pretty obvious that he exists as a replacement goldfish for Ash’s.

Honestly when it comes down to it, Cap is pretty one-note. People seem to conflate the writers trying too hard to make Cap cool with him actually having personality when in really all he is is a single gimmick. Compare that to Ash’s Pikachu who had an entire range of personality that made him feel like a character rather than just a manufactured cutout. Pikachu could be a leader or he could be as big of a goofball as his trainer. He could be played completely seriously or he could be the target of comedy. He could be caring or could even be a bit mischievous. And through it all, he had his own personal quirks. Compared to that, Cap rings pretty hollow and stoic with it being pretty obvious that he exists as a replacement goldfish for Ash’s.
Honestly I love Ash Pikachu but I felt like as the series went on it lost a big chunk of its unique personality and he just boiled down to a clone of Ash personality

I agree cap personality isn't as fleshed out as ash's tho but I feel that's also may be due to longevity

I mean, to be somewhat fair to Cap, Ash's Pikachu had literal decades and well over a thousand episodes to show depths to his personality. Horizons by contrast isn't even a year old yet, so there's still a chance that they'll do more with Captain Pikachu's personality somewhere down the line.

At least I hope so, because it just isn't good narrative for Pikachu to spend the entirety of the series overshadowing even the Pokemon of the actual protagonists.

I mean, to be somewhat fair to Cap, Ash's Pikachu had literal decades and well over a thousand episodes to show depths to his personality. Horizons by contrast isn't even a year old yet, so there's still a chance that they'll do more with Captain Pikachu's personality somewhere down the line.

At least I hope so, because it just isn't good narrative for Pikachu to spend the entirety of the series overshadowing even the Pokemon of the actual protagonists.
Even so, even if you compare them based on similar time frames, there’s still much more personality to Ash’s Pikachu compared to Cap. And it kinda further becomes an issue if you consider that there’s a good chance that Horizons and its cast aren’t meant to last anywhere near as long as Ash and co did. So at that point, you’d want to show off the character of these Pokémon sooner rather than later given you only have so long with them.

Of course this isn’t just an issue with Cap but some of the other Pokémon as well. For example Sprigatito, most of the time it feels more like Skitty 2.0 where its personality is basically just being a house cat, getting rare chances to show anything more than that, rather than being Litten 2.0.

The whole thing feels like a consequence of prioritizing the human aspect of the cast over the Pokémon aspect. I can only hope that as the series goes on that they find a way to balance the 2 since Pokemon are just as much characters in the anime as humans are.

For example Sprigatito, most of the time it feels more like Skitty 2.0
They even have the same voice actress, Megumi Hayashibara, and are voiced in a similar way (both being cat-like Pokemon.) In fact, it's too funny you mentioned Skitty, because once I had started hearing Sprigatito's voice for a bit, I thought it sounded familiar. And after looking it up or realizing it myself (can't remember which) I was like no wonder it sounds familiar-it's May's Skitty's voice.

Even so, even if you compare them based on similar time frames, there’s still much more personality to Ash’s Pikachu compared to Cap. And it kinda further becomes an issue if you consider that there’s a good chance that Horizons and its cast aren’t meant to last anywhere near as long as Ash and co did. So at that point, you’d want to show off the character of these Pokémon sooner rather than later given you only have so long with them.

Of course this isn’t just an issue with Cap but some of the other Pokémon as well. For example Sprigatito, most of the time it feels more like Skitty 2.0 where its personality is basically just being a house cat, getting rare chances to show anything more than that, rather than being Litten 2.0.

The whole thing feels like a consequence of prioritizing the human aspect of the cast over the Pokémon aspect. I can only hope that as the series goes on that they find a way to balance the 2 since Pokemon are just as much characters in the anime as humans are.
You hit the nail with sprig. It's legit doesn't do shit other than acting like a cat. It gets moments of jealousy which is true to it's dec but other than that nothing

Fuecoco is better in personality because the thing actually has a goal and arc around being like Charizard and singing, but man it jobs to everyone and their grandma.

It's funny sprig and fuecoco have opposite problems. Sprig basically doesn't do anything but it atleast wins battles, fuecoco has an arc and but loses to anything that breathes

Sprigatito does show that it is ready and willing to battle, despite its trainer being more adverse to them. However that is hardly something unique to the cat.

Back
Top Bottom