• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I kinda wanted that to happen because it sounds so insane that it might have been amazing. Also, kind of hilarious seeing how that info came to light before Gen VI, where we got an actual T. Rex Pokémon.

For example, he said that in the anime world, kids were legally adults when they became ten, Gym Leaders would lose their job if they lost three matches in a row, and that Ash's dad left Delia while she was still pregnant and failed as a Trainer. He also planned a finale for the show where Pokémon, led by Ash's Pikachu and Meowth, would rebel against their Trainers.

Honestly, I could see Ash's dad leaving Delia while she was pregnant. Heck, after the Brock x Olivia episode, I could see kids in the Pokemon world being legal adults after they turn ten.

The other two, though, are just needlessly harsh.

Honestly, I could see Ash's dad leaving Delia while she was pregnant. Heck, after the Brock x Olivia episode, I could see kids in the Pokemon world being legal adults after they turn ten.

The other two, though, are just needlessly harsh.
Oh yeah, and another plan he had for the show's intended finale was something along the lines of Ash realizing that becoming a Pokémon Master was a childish dream and that he needs to wake up. I'm honestly glad that never happened.

Oh yeah, and another plan he had for the show's intended finale was something along the lines of Ash realizing that becoming a Pokémon Master was a childish dream and that he needs to wake up. I'm honestly glad that never happened.

Now THAT would have just been soul-crushing. Did GF base Cyrus off Takeshi Shudo? Because yeesh. :eek:

the Pokemon anime sucks
I agree.

Anime reviewer Suede put it the best: Ash is an ordinary kid living an ordinary life in an extraordinary world. Unlike in many other adventure anime, where the main character is in someway special or skilled, Ash is pretty much just an average guy who is just a Trainer among Trainers. Suede mentioning this fact has made me appreciate Ash's character a lot more than before, not that I hated him before or anything. So yeah. I've got no problems with Ash. He's a great and iconic protagonist, whose faults some people seem to be taking a bit too seriously.
... I only don't like how he conveniently gets...
Like, 70% of the times Ash shows of his bond with Pikachu, it goes like, "Pikachu is about to loose", and then, Ash tells him they can't loose because they are friends, and he suddenly gets back up and wins. When Ash doesn't remind him they are friends tho, which he shouldn't do if they really are this well-bonded, in most cases, he fails.

Or remember that one episode where Thatcher was introduced in AG? I'm pretty sure Brock said something across the lines of Pikachu hearing Ash voice even from a distance, and vice versa, just because they have a bond, and guess what...
That did happen...

So I'm just bothered by this... Umm... "Bond of friendship empowers me litelary, NOT figurativelly" thing Ash has.

I wouldn't really take information from the novels as canon to the anime. They were written by the original head writer, but at least a few of those details contradict what we actually see in the anime. The whole punishment for Gym Leaders after they lose three times in a row is a pretty big example of such. If that was canon to the anime, then Misty's sisters would have been fired before Ash even got to them. I also wouldn't say that Ash and his friends are treated as adults in the show. Despite how people in the Pokemon world are perfectly fine with sending ten year olds into potentially dangerous journeys, they're still treated as kids.

The novels provide some interesting information, but I think claiming that they're canon to the anime opens up more holes than it fills in any blanks.

While on the subject of Bulbapedia insert shameless promo plug-in here it's funny that a fan-created encyclopedia provides like a hundred times more info than the actual Pokemon encyclopedia in the show.

Also, even though I'm the biggest Misty fan in the western hemisphere, I wish she had never shown up in SuMo. I just find it pointless outside of it being a cheap LGPE tie-in.

I hate how unconnected the regions in the anime seem to be, once Ash is in one region you hardly ever hear about the on-goings of another or its characters. Even the games have little nods and call backs to other regions. Did May get all her Johto ribbons? Is Paul training and traveling through Hoenn or Kalos right now? What about Brock and his new dream to become a Pokemon doctor? Did they even reference that when he came back in the Sun and Moon series? It seriously makes me wish Pokemon Chronicles was still a thing so that characters who were once important wouldn't be forgotten.

I hate how unconnected the regions in the anime seem to be, once Ash is in one region you hardly ever hear about the on-goings of another or its characters. Even the games have little nods and call backs to other regions. Did May get all her Johto ribbons? Is Paul training and traveling through Hoenn or Kalos right now? What about Brock and his new dream to become a Pokemon doctor? Did they even reference that when he came back in the Sun and Moon series? It seriously makes me wish Pokemon Chronicles was still a thing so that characters who were once important wouldn't be forgotten.

As others have pointed out, they have mentioned Brock's new dream about becoming a Pokemon Doctor. The first thing he did when he appeared was check on Snowy to see if it was sick. Still, I agree that having some call backs would be nice. I'm still immensely disappointed that we never found out how May's Johto Grand Festival turned out or what happened to Dawn after the second Wallace Cup. Another set of Pokemon Chronicles would be nice. It would give some attention to all of the older main and other popular characters like Paul. I'm not too surprised that they didn't keep up those specials, but it would certainly be a nice treat. Although, the chances are pretty good that they wouldn't be dubbed considering that TPCI has skipped the other specials featuring older characters returning too.

What personally soured my experience of visiting Kanto in the middle of a journey and seeing Brock and Misty again was how some pretty significant details were omitted, seemingly because of nostalgia.

Like why was Misty wearing her original series clothes, when she's been seen wearing a different outfit in the Advanced Generation? Where is her Azurill, since it's supposed to be riding on her arms? If it evolved and now stays in its Poké Ball, okay, but that was never mentioned! Why didn't Croagunk pop out once, leaving Misty to do all the Brock restraining? Why didn't we get to see any of Brock's Pokémon whose species were introduced after Generation II? Where was Tracey when Ash and his class visited Oak's lab? Why did we mostly see only Ash's Kanto Pokémon at the lab and not practically at all his mons from other regions, like, say, Unova or Sinnoh?

What personally soured my experience of visiting Kanto in the middle of a journey and seeing Brock and Misty again was how some pretty significant details were omitted, seemingly because of nostalgia.

Like why was Misty wearing her original series clothes, when she's been seen wearing a different outfit in the Advanced Generation? Where is her Azurill, since it's supposed to be riding on her arms? If it evolved and now stays in its Poké Ball, okay, but that was never mentioned! Why didn't Croagunk pop out once, leaving Misty to do all the Brock restraining? Why didn't we get to see any of Brock's Pokémon whose species were introduced after Generation II? Where was Tracey when Ash and his class visited Oak's lab? Why did we mostly see only Ash's Kanto Pokémon at the lab and not practically at all his mons from other regions, like, say, Unova or Sinnoh?

It's true that they could've done a better job with the whole thing, but I think they did enough to prove that it wasn't completely for nostalgia.

• They gave Brock & Misty the power of Mega Evolution.
  • They showcased Brock's dream of becoming a Pokemon Doctor during multiple occasions.
  • They gave Brock a brand new Pokemon, which you really don't see happening often with returning characters.
  • They actually had Misty and Brock visit Ash in Alola, just like they said they would in Episode 43. (Promises like that usually aren't kept in the Pokemon anime.)
  • They brought back both Sudowoodo and Corsola (even though Corsola should've done a lot more), Pokemon who weren't in Gen 1.

It's true that they could've done a better job with the whole thing, but I think they did enough to prove that it wasn't completely for nostalgia.

• They gave Brock & Misty the power of Mega Evolution.
  • They showcased Brock's dream of becoming a Pokemon Doctor during multiple occasions.
  • They gave Brock a brand new Pokemon, which you really don't see happening often with returning characters.
  • They actually had Misty and Brock visit Ash in Alola, just like they said they would in Episode 43. (Promises like that usually aren't kept in the Pokemon anime.)
  • They brought back both Sudowoodo and Corsola (even though Corsola should've done a lot more), Pokemon who weren't in Gen 1.
I didn't say that nostalgia ruined the entire thing. I just said that they omitted some big details that left us with some major unanswered questions.

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug, it is. Tracy had no reason NOT to show up or at least get a mention, he practically lives at the lab now. I don't even think Gary was seen or mentioned, which is a shame. I mean, the whole reason they even went to Kanto was so that the Alolan crew could see the difference between some Kanto-mons and their Alolan variants, which they did, but still. Some of the time could have been used for some unique interactions. For instance, Pignite and Charizard seem to get along, so would Litten have gotten along with them too? How're Ash's birds doing? What about Snivy, is she getting along with the other grass-starters? I bet Oshawott and Totodile are causing quite the ruckus on their own.

As for Croagunk, one could argue that he was left at home though it would have been nice if Ash had asked. Same for Azuril, but the group went to the Cerulean Gym and still so mention. So I don't know.

Speaking of cerulean gym, it looked extremely different (in fact it looked like an incredibly expensive and absurd building) and I really don't think they needed to do that. They did need a battlefield that wasn't all water, but the exterior didn't need to be incredibly different.

But this isn't really a new complaint either, Kanto looked pretty different during Battle Frontier and very little was really revisited, so the Alola trip isn't really on its own as far as being disappointing and it still did have some nice pieces jammed into a very short amount of time.

I prefer skinny looking Pikachu to fat Pikachu.
Agreed, and related to animation/art style, I much prefer the old move animation, as although Dragon Tail and Stone Edge looked amazing in XY (shame the former was ruined in SM), I liked Air Slash/Dragon Rush/Dragon Pulse/Dragon Claw/Focus Blast's DP animation the best.

Tracy had no reason NOT to show up or at least get a mention, he practically lives at the lab now.

Image result for i don't know her mariah gif gif

Seriously, there are like ~5 Tracey fans in total, so I feel like his lack of popularity is the reason why he can't even get a cameo these days.

Back
Top Bottom