• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

• Yes - Evolving during a battle would be much more exciting

Votes: 166 73.5%
  • No - Evolving after a battle is much more exciting

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
I like the idea of evolving in the middle of the battle. It would make battles more exciting and interesting. I don't know how it would work technically speaking, but if they could keep it for the Pokemon that evolve through leveling up, I think it could be a fun upgrade.

It would be cool and more realistic but it would be a balance nightmare.

Evolving after battle just isn't realistic though.

You're Pokémon can theoretically level up 5 times during one full battle. And it still won't evolve until after the battle.

Please tell me how that makes any sense.

So no, I will always want to have mid-battle evolutions. I don't mind if specific evolution methods require "after" battle to evolve, but all Pokémon that evolve by level up should have the capability of evolving whenever the conditions are met.

Possible argument:
But evolving midbattle gives the player an advantage

Why anyone would care about an NPC, or a computer controlled player is beyond me.

It's not like your Pokémon would be able to evolve during "multiplayer."

No. It would be unfair. I started battling a freaking Abra, why should I finish the battle fighting against a Kadabra?

Evolving after battle just isn't realistic though.

You're Pokémon can theoretically level up 5 times during one full battle. And it still won't evolve until after the battle.

Please tell me how that makes any sense.

So no, I will always want to have mid-battle evolutions. I don't mind if specific evolution methods require "after" battle to evolve, but all Pokémon that evolve by level up should have the capability of evolving whenever the conditions are met.

Possible argument:
But evolving midbattle gives the player an advantage

Why anyone would care about an NPC, or a computer controlled player is beyond me.

It's not like your Pokémon would be able to evolve during "multiplayer."

NPC's Pokemon still have levels, so if they could make the mechanic work for NPCs too, they could set certain NPC's so that one of their Pokemon is almost ready to evolve. Gym leaders could use this tactic. I guess it would happen between Pokemon switches.

Although I welcome the idea, from a game standpoint it would only be used by the PCs, not the NPCs because, unless the game forces you to lose, the game mechanics require exp. to evolve. Unless a new form of evolution would be possible during battles, it couldn't work for the NPCs.

...now with Gen 6 being announced, this thread has been revived XDD

Personally, I'd like to see this as a new feature for Gen 6. Evolving during battle.

A million times yes!! But only if the evolution is by level gained in the battle, I think that using stones or rare candy would be kind of cheap. But I think overall it would add a lot more excitement and unpredictably, especially if opponets' pokemon (even gym leaders') pokemon evolved during a battle.

It would be great, but how would it work, from a programming standpoint anyway?

Anyways, let's say on your fourth rival battle, his/her starter evolvves to its final form.

I'd also like to see evolutions cutscenes.

NO. would make it unfair for the oppoent so no. people would just train up to the level before evolution to get an advantage in hard battles

I'd like for evolution during battles for gen 6. It would be awesome, and I don't see how it'd be that unfair to the opponent. You'd have to gain exp from defeating at least one pokémon to evolve anyway, and if anything this could be considered a disadvantage - if you have an evolved pokémon from the beginning of the match that would be more difficult for them, so it evolving during wouldn't be any more unfair than you doing a bit of levelling before facing them.

However, I'd only like it to work through exp and it'd be great if the opponent could do it. That also means that opponents should gain exp during the match. I think it would be brilliant as you, the player, would have to completely up your game, and restrategise. It'd add a whole new element of strategy to the game, provided that the opponent could do it. Plus, it wouldn't be that abusable as in non-NPC matches exp isn't gained, so it'd only work in-game.

NO. would make it unfair for the oppoent so no. people would just train up to the level before evolution to get an advantage in hard battles

Wouldn't training up that one last level and being evolved from the start give them even more of an advantage?

I think it's an excellent idea, I'm really fond of it. The idea of a Pokemon evolving mid-battle has actually been something I've wanted for a long time now. If a Gym Leader's Pokemon evolves mid-battle, I think it would make the game more exciting, yes, it'd be more challenging, but that can be fun.

I'd quite like to evolve mid-battle. Could make it a lot more interesting and could even add another layer of strategy (like you'll know that it could happen so you could incorporate it into your plan). I've always wondered why it didn't happen, to be honest.

Wouldn't training up that one last level and being evolved from the start give them even more of an advantage?

No. Asuming evolution restores it to full health (if it dosent then yes) changes it stats its like getting a new pokemon during a battle then that would swicth the tide of battle if you start with an evolved pokemon you cant make it any better. s makes it unfair its somthing that should stick to the anime its not meant for a game, would not work in keeing battles fair.

If evolving des not remove all status affect and restore the pokemons hit points its much better but still unfair on the opponent

yes evolving it before hand will make it stronger but i an increse its power midbattle its better liike dragonair will take out first poke he is damaged bt experiance evolves him now hes stronger and has full health pp and possibly new moves. unfair.

Last edited:
Yes. It doesn't really make much sense to have to wait until the end of a battle. You can learn moves mid-battle, why not evolution?

No. Asuming evolution restores it to full health (if it dosent then yes) changes it stats its like getting a new pokemon during a battle then that would swicth the tide of battle if you start with an evolved pokemon you cant make it any better. s makes it unfair its somthing that should stick to the anime its not meant for a game, would not work in keeing battles fair.

If evolving des not remove all status affect and restore the pokemons hit points its much better but still unfair on the opponent

yes evolving it before hand will make it stronger but i an increse its power midbattle its better liike dragonair will take out first poke he is damaged bt experiance evolves him now hes stronger and has full health pp and possibly new moves. unfair.

... There is absolutely no reason for a Pokemon to be fully healed by evolution. The closest we get to that is its current HP going up if the evolved form has higher base HP. And given that Pokemon can learn moves during battle already, there's still nothing you'd gain from evolving during battle instead of before it. In the example you gave, that Dragonair would be able to gain a level while taking less or even no damage if it was already evolved.

... There is absolutely no reason for a Pokemon to be fully healed by evolution. The closest we get to that is its current HP going up if the evolved form has higher base HP. And given that Pokemon can learn moves during battle already, there's still nothing you'd gain from evolving during battle instead of before it. In the example you gave, that Dragonair would be able to gain a level while taking less or even no damage if it was already evolved.

Well if it dosent gain any health or PP i guess it would be more fair but still you can call it giving the person an unfair advantage personally i wouldent like it though, would find it annoying my opponent getting stronger midbattle, evolves s/he hits full restore now i have to face a new hyped strong pokemon with full health which im not prepared for.The only way to be prepared would be to go online every time i face a gym to see which pokemon they have which could evolve mid battle and proceed to over train my pokemon out of fear of them evolving mid battle, no thanks not for me.

^That's easily solved - AI trainers Pokemon don't gain EXP, thus can't level up and therefore cannot evolve.

I posted earlier but a new thought came to me. This COULD work for opponent if it were scripted to happen in some particular fights. Imagine an epic battle with your rival where their key pokemon evolves in an attempt to beat you? Or if contests returned (and where more like the anime) someone pulling a trick like Ursula and her Eevees to give you more of a challenge in the grand festival.

It wouldnt be random if played through the game before but it would add a interesting surprise element to it the first time round.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom