• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I'm not giving 4Kids an excuse for their addition to the dialog...however it just doesn't explain not having her in the episode at all when you see Brock taking care of their children, and having his father hide as a hobo.

4Kids should have just said it was Flint's sister or cousin...at least to keep with their own continuity.

Or, as I said, that Flint just lied. That's a lot less convoluted.

Heck, that's what happened on Frasier when it came to the attention of the writers that Frasier had already said on Cheers that his father was dead--when they brought Sam Malone in and had him meet Martin, they had him kinda aghast about it. He also brought up that Frasier had never mentioned having a brother (because the character of Niles had been created for the spinoff)

So if a spinoff show can do it and not be considered unprofessional or having "plotholes", why not a dub/localization?

I mean true flint could have lied, he was under disguise...and perhaps he didn't want to give his disguse?

You know, the whole Lola talk reminds me, the mere fact that they even included Lola about, oh, five to nine seasons after her first mention and have her appear frequently when they could have just as easily not included her proves that how many seasons go by in terms of the Show since the event of a character leaving (or, in four cases, introduced/returned) doesn't really impact whether they are able to leave/return or not.

I mean, if they could have an unseen character appear for the first time in the main series in many years (five if you count Chronicles as being part of the main series and not a spinoff), Who says they can't have Ash's dad appear sometime, or some of Ash's pokemon return, have Misty return to the main cast, remove Brock, remove Team Rocket, Have May return, have Max return, or even have Ash and Pikachu leave.

There are a couple of hints in AG that Brock is internalising his annoyance at his parents. But yeah, the events at Pewter Gym make little sense in both versions.

Since you're doing Bye Bye Butterfree, could you address the rumours of Butterfree's death? As for the side note in the original comparison of that episode, Misty's fear of bugs tends to be limited to the more creepy varieties and I don't think she's ever had a problem with Butterfree. There's a sequence in Mewtwo Returns where she is fine going past a number of bugs until they get to Beedrill.

Butterflies are pretty.

It might sound ridiculously shallow and stupid, but for a lot of people, even those that just really hate bugs, they don't really register in peoples' minds as "icky creepy crawlies" so much as they do as "pretty floating flowers!"

Unless she's SEVERELY phobic of any and all Bug Types, I wouldn't call that bad characterization. I'd even say it's pretty realistic. How many bug-hating kids do you know who don't count butterflies in with the ickies even though they might count, say, arachnids?

Also...

Speaking in third person is totally the most adorable thing for a Japanese girl to do. Except not, but some Japanese people really seem to think that.

That's also what a lot of Japanese kids do before they pick a first person pronoun to refer to themselves by. ^^; Granted, she IS a tad old for that.

... And considering her name is Miru of all things, she could just be saying the word.

A girl being afraid of bugs is just a typical girl stereotype the writers gave Misty to prove she wasn't as tough as she thought she was.

Seeing Misty run away from bugs like a scared little girl always amused me. May captured a Wurmple and had no fear of it, and Dawn isn't either.

That's also what a lot of Japanese kids do before they pick a first person pronoun to refer to themselves by. ^^; Granted, she IS a tad old for that.

... And considering her name is Miru of all things, she could just be saying the word.

Yeah she look round about 9 to me though I found cute and I was disappointed when they didn't do it in the English version. Also Miru mean "To see" right (one site I had to use Google translate to read and that what it said.) plus in the English games when you talk to her in wayward cave after talking to her a couple of times she said this.
"(player) are you so good with pokemon because you spend time together?
That it Mira will try like you." (Though I can't remember correctly so I have to check but she dose talk in third person though that the only time I can remember that she does that.)

With Misty fear of bug. That annoyed me. also I'm I the only one to notice move like Psychic and confusion look the sam?

Last edited:
I'd reply...but that would be taking away from discussion about *ME* and how awesome *I* am.

Sooooooo...does any of you guys know of anyone who's actually bought any of those Tenth Anniversary/All-Stars DVDs?

They're utterly pointless if you have/intend to get the boxsets, which of course make the most sense to buy, so I doubt anyone will reply in the affirmative.

Actually, I bought the All-Stars Boxset. It was before I knew of the plans to release the boxsets of the series, and it was at a pretty good price (I think on sale for $20), so I caved and bought it.

Even now the only season boxsets I have are the Indigo set #3, the Orange Islands, and Advanced #1

Since every non-movie DVD has zero extras, I'm going to go out no a limb and say "no."

I've heard that the video quality is at least better than those shit Kanto sets, though. So that's something.

Maybe the movie DVDs have Spanish tracks?

I have all my DVDs sitting here in a CD wallet beside me...but I'm far too lazy to check.

And yeah...I forgot about Mewtwo Returns. But none of the TV stuff has any extras that I can remember.

Dogasu, any chance of skipping ahead to the recent Croagunk/Wake episode just because of the major edit?

Would make an interesting read now, since as far as I can remember its the biggest edit in the dub since PUSA took over.

Dogasu, any chance of skipping ahead to the recent Croagunk/Wake episode just because of the major edit?

Would make an interesting read now, since as far as I can remember its the biggest edit in the dub since PUSA took over.

But I thought we're not sure it's a PUSA edit yet.

Back
Top Bottom