• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dynamax: Thoughts, Feelings, or Concerns

Involuntarily super sizing wild Pokémon that explode on fainting sounds a bit more ethically questionable to me.

If it's involuntary, sure, but that's not really what I was shaking my stick at. :X3:

Though I doubt that it will turn out to be involuntary (or artificial) in the official story.

Also, re: exploding - it's not like they actually die. If anything, it's probably comparable to...

Explosion_III.png

I've never used Selfdestruct or Explosion, but at least they're associated with sturdy Pokemon. Plus, Game Freak never bothered to animate them like that.

I've never used Selfdestruct or Explosion, but at least they're associated with sturdy Pokemon.

And indeed, Dynamax makes the target stronger and tankier

Plus, Game Freak never bothered to animate them like that.

Er... I mean I guess it comes down to individual perspective but to me, Gen 7's Explosion animation practically looks like a nuke going off...

I mean, if we're talking ethics, then I'm pretty sure we're meant to assume that wild Pokémon want to battle anyway because otherwise your character is literally going around and terrorizing/enslaving innocent creatures who wanted nothing to do with you. If wild battles are voluntary, then you can infer that the Pokémon are testing you in order to see if they find you deserving of their power.

Let me rephrase that: it could make Wild Pokémon want to battle when they normally don't feel up to it. Remember, as told in the direct, some Pokémon don't appear in Wild Areas and can only be caught after you've defeated them in Max Raid Battles. Weavile, Clefable and Quagsire could be among them. Gyarados and Steelix do appear in Wild Areas so they aren't.

The Dynamax explosion is reminding me of power rangers...

Damn, you right:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVozaSNTYw

So the thought that Dynamax instantly reminded me of Rita Repulsa growing her monsters when it was revealed was actually spot on, lol Feels more and more to me like Dynamax is nothing more than a wow factor mechanic. Big ass Pokemon battles on the big screen, who explode when defeated in such a manner that even Michael Bay would blush.

Damn, you right:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVozaSNTYw

So the thought that Dynamax instantly reminded me of Rita Repulsa growing her monsters when it was revealed was actually spot on, lol Feels more and more to me like Dynamax is nothing more than a wow factor mechanic. Big ass Pokemon battles on the big screen, who explode when defeated in such a manner that even Michael Bay would blush.

I followed the show religiously as a kid, so nice memories (though the seasons I watched didn’t feature Rita Repulsa- SPD, Samurai, MegaForce, RPM, Jungle Fury).

@Diamond & Pearl @PkmnTrainerV @Esserise
You know, you guys just gave me an idea: what if the energy required for the Dynamax phenomenon is the result of some seal on an ancient threat being broken? There could be an ancient spirit/force compelling certain Pokémon to fight and for humans to seek out its power for their Pokémon (hence why everyone in Galar seems obsessed with Dynamaxing).

This would allow the mechanic to be non-artificial without treating it as a natural phenomenon: it’s supernatural! This would also be a first for Pokémon.

Last edited:
It doesn’t do any favours to my opinion that Dynamax is really, really artificial and I'm not a huge fan of artificial looking pwoerups explained as "it’s natural energy!".
Maybe it'll be a combination of the two? Like, natural dynamax energy is generally just found in the wild, and it's with permanently dynamaxed Pokemon. (or, at least, all battle) But the wristband the player wears is an artificial tool that gathers the energy and uses it with other Pokemon.

Dynamaxed Shedinja in future? Feelings and concerns? Interesting how it will affect their abilities?

Interesting if phantom force and other moves retain their effects? Types that dont have weather or terrains? Will psychic always confuse? Will poison moves always poison? Bug always paralyse? Ghost always work like phantom force?or dark , other moves always trap target?

Sacred seals can be a new mechanic in future. Order and Chaos.

Interesting 3 turns only? Maybe during longer battles 6vs6 a possible recharge like Z-moves but who knows...

I think the wrist band Y will colect Dynamax energy... Those energy spots are related to those stones that help pokemon colect and realese that energy thats why some transform or land in other dimension. Probably will work outside of Galar too with trainers.

Dynamaxed Trevenant or Gourgeist?

Last edited:
You know, if Dynamaxing is meant to emulate Kaiju, then what if the rumored Gigantimaxing ends up being similar to giant mechas? Think about it:

There’s a lot of Japanese or Japanese-style series that involve heroes climbing into giant robots to fight big monsters (which is literally what kaiju are) such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Power Rangers, the Ultraman franchise, etc. Following this logic, if Pokémon can turn into Kaiju through the Dynamax phenomenon, then why can’t Pokémon pilot/synchronize themselves with giant robots to fight them?

It would also explain why Gigantimaxing is limited to a certain amount of Pokémon, as well as the weird “long Meowth” part of the rumor.

How does a pokemons weight and speed change when it's Dynamaxed? I think it becomes much more heavy and theoretically should be slower? Especially those who alredy where big and slow?
How will it affect weight and speed changing moves like Heat crash and Gyroball? Especially when You battle against Dynamaxed or Gigantimaxed oponents? Also how will telekinesis, magnet rise, dive, fly and bounce work against them? Or when Dynamaxed when using those?

Exploding bosses and giants is something that I see in the Mario & Luigi Series all the times. It’s more flashy than anything.

But if you really want to go into the ethical road… my guess is that the whole “giantification” thing is the Pokémon projecting some kind of energy that makes it look giant, but it doesn’t become an actual giant. Once it loses HP, it loses control on this energy which explodes.

As was posted in the currently-locked speculation thread, it looks like Dynamaxing only gave a Corviknight a boost in HP. I really hope that isn’t the extent of what it boosts.

It's....really disappointing, honestly.

At the very least I would have expected an increase in attack and defense due to their larger size, but if HP is the only thing...then what is even the point? I get the feeling that the only thing Dynamax has going for it are aesthetics, which honestly isn't all that exciting.

It's....really disappointing, honestly.

At the very least I would have expected an increase in attack and defense due to their larger size, but if HP is the only thing...then what is even the point? I get the feeling that the only thing Dynamax has going for it are aesthetics, which honestly isn't all that exciting.
I’m starting to think aesthetics is the only reason it exists, which makes it worse as it’s used as an excuse for no national dex and why we no longer have Z-Moves and Mega Evolution. I honestly don’t know what Game Freak was thinking, because it seems like more trouble than it’s worth for something mostly aesthetic.

Most likely because they really were scrapping at the bottom of the barrel when they came up with it.

If you take away the giant size, it's still no different.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom