• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

fav DP starter?

fav DP starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Turtwig all the way! Really, a monkey with fire coming out of it's butt and a penguin who's fully evolved form doesn't have the stats to hold up it's typing? It's no contest!

Based on how they look fully evolved: Chimchar. Dunno about how good they are for speed playing, though.

Turtwig, all the way. It's the first grass starter I've considered since Bulbasaur.

Piplup!
I like piplup and its evo's for looks but Turtwig and its evos for actual battle.

I can't decide but if I was forced to make decision, then it would be Piplup

Piplup for sure. You end up with a Steel-Water type Pokemon with Empoleon and you only have a 2x weakness against Fight, Electric and Ground. And most people who online battle never realize that Empoleon is weak to Ground. Plus Piplup and its evolutions know Bird Type Moves which can counter the Grass-Type.

Chimchar would be the most theoretical choice because there's only one other Fire-type pokemon in Sinnoh and that's Ponyta who has a really weak move-set, and doesn't even evolve to Rapidash till Lvl.40!

And yah.. never really liked Grass type move-set, so I never pick Grass-type starters. Nothing strong other than Grass Knot and Solar Beam. Although Giga Drain is nice.

Purely on looks I choose Piplup, sadly the second and third evolutions are hideously ugly, but Piplup is pretty cute.

Turtwig is pretty awesome when it -is- fully evolved, because it has a tree on it's back which I believe is hilarious. I'd build a treehouse in it and just hang out. (But not with nails, don't worry don't worry, a hurt-free treehouse. ;))

Chimchar: I think monkeys suck.

What is really sad, and deters me from the other starters is that Infernape can kill both of their fully evolved forms easily... :(

Technically, so could Torterra (Earthquake kills fire and steel types)

Turtwig is very good as far as starters go. Torterra's a very awesome design going for it as well.

Yes but you're missing the point the fire starter shouldn't be able to kill the water starter at all, it's sort of the point of your rival getting a type advantage. Anyways I think that Infernape has better speed than Empoleon... I'm not sure but mine has always outraced it with a close combat.

I've never actually battled some one that has used toterra so I can't account for a speed comparison there.

Piplup for looks and it has the best stats, unfortunatly it doesn't learn very good moves. Turtwig learns the best moves and still has good stats, it was made the "best choice" to balance the fact that the grass types have always been the least popular.

Piplup has a larger move pool, but the fire/fight combo is too powerful to pass up.

When you think about it, there aren't very many fire type Pokemon in existence, and so few of them are very powerful. The secondary type, fight, allows for good physical attack and a resistance to rock.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom