• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Disapointment

Stuff they took out:

-- Pokeradar
-- Gym Leader Rematches
-- VS Seeker
-- Lv 100 Wi-fi battles
-- Battle Tower/Frontier
-- Contests

And all of those were either not replaced or replaced with less fun things.

Sorry, I had a brain fart when I read your post. >.<

Anyway, I do agree with you. The new content wasn't worth adding, considering the previous content they left out.

Well.. Game Freak's goal was reboot the series, right? So that is why they took out some stuff. Perhaps some of the "stuff" will be implemented in the next Pokemon game.

If that was the case, then it was a poor reboot. I still enjoy the game, and will continue to play the future installments, but if Game Freak is rebooting the series, then they really need to do a better job of it.

I was bummed that your Pokeballs don't have a certain section just for them in your Bag. Minor complaint, but still. I still like the game as a whole.

Yeah, it bugged me slightly. I think it was because of my OCD, though.

Well.. Game Freak's goal was reboot the series, right? So that is why they took out some stuff. Perhaps some of the "stuff" will be implemented in the next Pokemon game.

They should have done more to reboot it, not take out 5000 features and hold them until Gen VI or the 3rd version.

They should have done more to reboot it, not take out 5000 features and hold them until Gen VI or the 3rd version.

Just to add to your post, I never understood why there has to be 3 versions. Other than making money, I don't see a good reason. Hell, I only buy one version. There's no need to buy 3 versions of the same game.

There's a difference between the reboot and what they did. No need to take functionality away just so they can achieve some sort of "Gen I experience". Pokemon got where it is by testing different things and seeing how well it went over. This seems contrary to that experience-based learning.

There's a difference between the reboot and what they did. No need to take functionality away just so they can achieve some sort of "Gen I experience". Pokemon got where it is by testing different things and seeing how well it went over. This seems contrary to that experience-based learning.

Either I'm misunderstanding what you said, or we didn't play the same game. More specifically, I don't know what you mean by "Gen I experience".

I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon following you outside their balls makes a return in Gray.

God, there is a reason for this people:

It would ruin N's point.

Pokémon obviously bond with you outside their balls, but if N said that no Pokémon likes humans, straight to you with your pokemon out side the ball, he might as well be saying the world will end in the next minute.

Either I'm misunderstanding what you said, or we didn't play the same game. More specifically, I don't know what you mean by "Gen I experience".

Part of GF's goal with BW was to recreate that experience where you (supposedly) go in with all new pokemon, and not to rely on past generations. This is all fine and dandy, but let's not get rid of what we have in exchange for that ideal.

Part of GF's goal with BW was to recreate that experience where you (supposedly) go in with all new pokemon, and not to rely on past generations. This is all fine and dandy, but let's not get rid of what we have in exchange for that ideal.

Then I misunderstood you. I apologize.

Regardless, I didn't go into this experience, feeling like I was playing one of the Gen I games. Sorry to say, but Game Freak can never re-create Gen I. No, FireRed/LeafGreen doesn't count.

Regardless, I didn't go into this experience, feeling like I was playing one of the Gen I games. Sorry to say, but Game Freak can never re-create Gen I. No, FireRed/LeafGreen doesn't count.

Exactly. There's something to be said about originality, and there's something to be said for continuity. You need to balance both. GS = too much continuity. BW = too much originality. The other gens 1, 3-4, did a good job of balancing them.

Exactly. There's something to be said about originality, and there's something to be said for continuity. You need to balance both. GS = too much continuity. BW = too much originality. The other gens 1, 3-4, did a good job of balancing them.

I think Game Freak has a problem with that, to be honest. I may be looking at it from a consumer's perspective, but in the end, I know what I want from a video game. Game Freak dropped the ball on this one.

How can you be too original?

God, there is a reason for this people:

It would ruin N's point.

Pokémon obviously bond with you outside their balls, but if N said that no Pokémon likes humans, straight to you with your pokemon out side the ball, he might as well be saying the world will end in the next minute.

I don't think it would entirely ruin N's point.

Even in HG/SS, there weren't that many trainers/NPCs with their Pokemon following them. It would only ruin N's point if everybody had their Pokemon outside of their poke balls. If this feature did return in the third version, you, the player character, would probably be the only one with their Pokemon following them.

Plus it would make more sense in the scenes where N is speaking to your Pokemon.

I don't think it would entirely ruin N's point.

Even in HG/SS, there weren't that many trainers/NPCs with their Pokemon following them. It would only ruin N's point if everybody had their Pokemon outside of their poke balls. If this feature did return in the third version, you, the player character, would probably be the only one with their Pokemon following them.

Plus it would make more sense in the scenes where N is speaking to your Pokemon.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a timeline going on. So I don't think it would really matter.

I don't see how Generation III was better at continuity than Black and White are now.

Well, true. It did a harder reset of pokemon than BW due to the PokeTransfer late-game in BW. However, BW has almost no post-E4 content that's valuable or on the scale of DP, while RS did. That's the difference for me between the two, and it's why I enjoy Ruby more than White.

However, BW has almost no post-E4 content that's valuable or on the scale of DP, while RS did. That's the difference for me between the two, and it's why I enjoy Ruby more than White.
Really? You must be referring to Contests, because Ruby and Sapphire certainly didn't have any non-PokéNav rematches, battle facilities outside the Battle Tower, or the slightest story continuation (barring Rayquaza).

I give credit to Diamond and Pearl for having a separate island from Sinnoh that wasn't just used for the Battle Tower, but truthfully the Battle Zone wasn't more interesting than eastern Unova is. What disappoints me about Black and White is that Game Freak clearly could have done a far better job with the post-story segment. They planted the seeds for a story continuation (not a third version), but they left it at that. I think they were just counting on the Dream World being continuously used to obtain older Pokémon with new abilities, but the games themselves would be a lot more interesting if there were a post-Unova segment that served the same functions as the Dream World while continuing the story. Eastern Unova is a very minimalistic version of that concept.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom