• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV: It came, it saw, will it conquer?

I wouldn't talk about Gen V so soon... The only thing revealed so far are two Pokémon, obviously not enough to base a whole era on. The talk about it being "ground-breaking" might be just hype.

yeah, that press release talking about how these games will be an "inventive rebirth" may end up being a load of crap. I think this franchise has been known to hype up crap we don't actually want. Oh look, a Pichu with screwed up fur on its ear. Contests are now "Super Contests" (which are really just the same thing but with dancing). And I think the previous generations might've been hyped in some manner as being particularly revolutionary as well, but how much of that will actually apply to generation 5?

Generation IV, to me, was definitely a highlight as far as games go. I enjoyed the addition of all of the great new pokemon like Gliscor, Mamoswine, Abomasnow etc. The whole Sinnoh region probably ranks as good as Kanto but a little behind Johto and obviously better than Hoenn. Not to say Hoenn was not good, but the region is kind of slow-paced and not terribly interesting. I loved the new Team enemy in Team Galactic. Definitely the best and a very serious and dark story for the games of DPPt. The legendary pokemon list was extensive but did provide 4 extremely powerful pokemon (Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina) whose powers represented major aspects of the world (creation, time, space, and dimension).

The anime was very good this generation probably the best. I liked the whole team dynamic for Ash, Dawn, and Brock. The pokemon interaction in their teams was great and the personalities was definitely my favorite. I am hoping that Grotle evolves into Torterra and we see that Ash's newest pokemon Gible evolves into Garchomp hopefully before or during the Sinnoh Pokemon League. It would be ideal if all of his pokemon except Buizel evolve and obviously Pikachu stay the same. And Dawn also gets a Togekiss, if I read correctly, is somewhat epic.

At first I wasn't warm to the idea of a new generation. I thought the games were going to suck because the DS was still relatively new when it arrived... and that it was just gonna be "yay the DS has a touch screen lookie" game. As for the anime, I thought I'd hate everything there, too. I was already tired of contests and thought Dawn would be a clone of May (no offense to May).

Turned out I loved the games and even the anime! Dawn wound up growing on me. Damn them. The story's grown a lot. One thing I didn't like was a lot of the newer Pokémon. That's not likely to improve, either. All of the best ones have already been made, in my opinion. Also, I liked Ranger. It was refreshing to see some side games.

Conclusion being that yes, I liked it. [/long]

Gen IV...hmmm, It was a "so-so" generation for me. Although all the new features were much appreciated, it felt like Gen III 2.0, and without the intriguing "first 2 games are different then tied together by 3rd game" storyline.

However, there were some things that were new and different, such as the distortion world, that I liked. Also, there was the return of my 2nd favorite Generation, Gen II, in HGSS, which was a major plus.

Here's my overall ranking of it:

1) Gen III
2) Gen II
3) Gen IV
4) Gen I

Well it didn't leave a permanent mark like the first 2 generation. It didn't add much except wifi but that's not the 4th generation thats the technlogy the creators are using. Nothing to do with the 4th generation bringing it.

I liked most of the pokemon, however...

-Not enough fire types
-Too many legendaries
-I loathe the unbalanced POS metagame.
-Stealth Rock
-Garchomp
-And most of all, how SLOW THE BATTLES ARE! Gen III games had smooth, quick battles. Gen IV is so repulsively slow I can barely stand it anymore.

I like it more than any of the others because of the added online capacity. It makes the game much more appealing post-game for me.

Game mechanics wise, it was the greatest generation. Pokémon wise, I didn't really like too many of them. Shin'ou was a great region. And anime wise, this was the greatest Generation.

I liked most of the pokemon, however...

-Not enough fire types
-Too many legendaries
-I loathe the unbalanced POS metagame.
-Stealth Rock
-Garchomp
-And most of all, how SLOW THE BATTLES ARE! Gen III games had smooth, quick battles. Gen IV is so repulsively slow I can barely stand it anymore.

What is wrong with Garchomp and Stealth Rock?

Gen IV resurrected the series for me after ruby and sapphire kinda killed it. I went from a happy little kid obsessed with my G/S to being moderately interested in R/S.

Gen IV is the best gen since II.

op shoulda used the original latin. And Gen IV was certainly enjoyable but seriously it is still the same game as the first one.

I have played from Gen I straight through Gen III. Bought the new systems that went along with them just to play my game and about 1/2 way through Gen III, I felt like I had grown out of Pokemon and put it down. It wasn't until last year Feb that I started playing Pokemon again, starting with Diamond. Had me hooked again.

Preference Order
- Gen IV/HGSS
- Gen III
- Gen I

LIKED (about Gen IV):
- story line
- ability to have virtually every pokemon in game by trading on wifi and swarms etc (even if you don't have anyone around physically who plays the game)
- graphics general look
- majority of the new pokemon
- the difficulty to get certain pokemon (like a female combee)
- pokemon distinction from certain areas (blue and pink shellos)

DISLIKED (about Gen IV):
- The ridicilous amount of legendaries per cartridge (I think 13 is a tad too much)
- extra evolutions for Generation I pokemon
- bibarel and any evolution associated with

The only problem that I really had with Gen I is that once you beat the E4, what else is there to do other than complete your pokedex? The E4 don't improve. There's still plenty that can be done with Gen II and up. Gen II gave you another 8 badges to collect (I'm not sure if it gave the ability to challenge the gyms again) and rebattle other trainers. With Gen III, the E4 get harder the next time you battle them. Gen IV, gave you swarm capbilities to catch older pokemon in game, the ability to trade in from Gen III via Pal Park and it still connects to the previous generation.

So, the question now is not will it, but did it.
I think it did, i will never forget Generation IV. I don't have my DPPt anymore, I need to get them replaced. Had DP since the beginning. I'm hoping Generation V is great and brings new things to the Pokémon world, and bring new fans.

4th gen was generally okay to me. Much better than Gen I (which is severy outdated for me), but not as much as Gen III and II.

I liked the fact that I can actually get most of the Pokemon faster thanks to the wireless advantages of the DS. I think this Gen is a weird cross between Gen II and III.

It has the day/night feature, held items and the focus on pre/evolutions for older Pokemon while having most of the Gen III aspects like abilities, berry planting, the Battle Frontier and Pokemon Contests (which they messed up horribly compared to the fun RS ones). However did they add features like the attacks split and... uh? Pretty much that's it? D8

Oh yeah, and the focus on many legendaries, which could be something good or bad. :/

I do have something against the overall Gen IV soundtrack. It doesn't have that many memorable tracks besides Dialga/Palkia's battle theme. RSE soundtrack is still my favorite by far so I guess this aspect was a huge step back, sadly.

As for the new Pokemon, they are always welcome with some interesting ones like Bronzong, Croagunk, Drapion, Floatzel, Combee, etc. It got plagged by babies for no reason, but at the same time they gave more value to some older Pokemon that needed an evolution badly (Tangela, Sneasel, Murkrow, Mismagius, Togetic and so on).

So yeah, Gen IV wasn't so bad, but maybe I'm getting old and not enjoy video games as much as I did 10 years ago, but still in love with the Pokemon franquise that keeps me playing their games with those silly-awesome critters. c:

Sorry if my thoughts sound confusing and/or contradictory. I'm almost falling asleep while typing all this... <A>

I loved Gen IV. I drifted away from Pokemon for a while durring Gen III and it was Platinum that really pulled me back in. I love the new additions that the DS have added to Pokemon. Especially with the recent launch of HG/SS, the games look better than they ever have before. Wi-Fi is a great new way to connect with other people, and since the main goal of Pokemon is personal interaction, this is a welcome feature. The Pokemon added were great, but I can't think of any generation that added bad Pokemon (in my opinion)

The anime has also been good. It must be hard to keep a show fresh after so many years, but I think they are doing a top job of it.

We also can't overlook the many spin-off games that have come out in Gen IV. Sure, PBR didn't measure up to Stadium or XD, but the PMD and Ranger games that came out were awsome! Add in the WiiWare exclusives and you have lots to do when not playing the main series.

The games were okay.

The anime made my stomach bleed x.*

The animé started to suck from Gen IV,in my opinion. The special effects looked cheap(i.e. the bubbles) and it became too much like the games.Maybe I'm saying this because I'm not that interested in the animé anymore and I have no time to watch it.

The game really had me hooked,though. Sinnoh and Johto have the best culture(Lots of myths) Mt.Coronet and the snow are awsome additions. The graphical cleanup in Platinum made it even better. Not to mention the many new features and the use of WiFi. The soundtrack is awsome,too. The tracks became more in-depth,esp. the field music.
There is a tidbit too many legendaries; The legendary birds and the regis could have been left out. As mentioned by someone else, the battles became much slower. I hope the next gen will bring quicker attack animations.

Last edited:
Re: Generation IV: It came, it saw, did it conquer?

Kinda bringing this back up b/c we're only 2 months from Black and White and Best Wishes. I also changed the title from "will" to "did". If this thread is not needed anymore, can an admin close it please.

I don't watch the anime, but the games were ok. Some of the new evos weren't that good though, for me new evos are bad until proven other wise, and Togekiss, Yanmega, and Electavire were the only one to prove otherwise so far.

I still eagerly await a return to Hoenn though.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom