• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Glass Half Empty" corner - What don't you like about the Japanese version?

I have only seen few episodes of the Japanese version and while I do like it, the voices throw me off sometimes, they can be way too over the top which sometimes gets annoying.

Yep, I hear you. We've got that in common.

To add to this, sometimes I've come across voices that don't fit at all. Having recently seen "Revelation Lugia" after seven years (and still preferring the dub of it, despite everything), I didn't think Masatoshi Hamada nor Kouichi Yamadera were as good fits as Nathan Price and Eric Rath for the parts of Slowking and Lugia.

I have only seen few episodes of the Japanese version and while I do like it, the voices throw me off sometimes, they can be way too over the top which sometimes gets annoying.

Yep, I hear you. We've got that in common.

To add to this, sometimes I've come across voices that don't fit at all. Having recently seen "Revelation Lugia" after seven years (and still preferring the dub of it, despite everything), I didn't think Masatoshi Hamada nor Kouichi Yamadera were as good fits as Nathan Price and Eric Rath for the parts of Slowking and Lugia.
I guess it's a matter of opinion but I think nostalgia might play a role in a sense that it makes it feel more natural. Mr.Yamadera is VA god though he's always good. However the mega evolution specials had that mega absol girl and her JP VA is pretty bad compared to Allen's.

Also Japanese people sound like cats... not in a bad way of course... or maybe his voice actor just sounds like a cat...
Am I really reading this? How much more of a racist statement could you make.

Yeah, sorry about that. It just popped up in my head. Didn't sound as bad in my head.

Well, we're in a "girl group does the ending theme" slump that I'm not a fan of. I thought DreaDrea was refreshing change of pace and I hope the Rocket-dan image song becomes XY&Z's ending to kill off this trend for good.

Well, I did like the "girl group" for a few songs (Hoenn, Black and White), but it is getting old. So I agree with you.

As I'm currently rewatching the movies (I'm up to the Manaphy movie as of this post), I've made some decisions on the soundtracks. I didn't really like the soundtracks for movies 2 (Japanese OST), 3 (later half of the Japanese soundtrack), 4, 6, or 17 (yeah, I broke sequence for the Diancie movie). My verdicts on the others are pending.

Last edited:
Speaking of BGM, the XY soundtrack isn't that good.

Speaking of BGM, the XY soundtrack isn't that good.
A majority of the soundtrack from the XY anime consists of remakes of the XY game music. So you dislike like the music there? Also included are a few anime-created background music and music from previous series of the show (like Satoshi's theme). And no, the lyrical songs don't count as part of the XY soundtrack, they're separated ones.

Last edited:
A majority of the soundtrack from the XY anime consists of remakes of the XY game music. So you dislike like the music there? Also included are a few anime-created background music and music from previous series of the show (like Satoshi's theme). And no, the lyrical songs don't count as part of the XY soundtrack, they're separated ones.

The lyrical ones don't count? That's a relief. Although they're not bad, I've tended to think of them as being misused. DreamDream was great for Fennekin's evolution into Braixen, but not as great for the Pokemon Showcase in the latest episode. The game remixes are pretty good. I guess it's the made-for-the-anime tracks that aren't appealing to me. As I said in the review for the latest episode ("The Happy Dance Comes After the Quiz?!"), the BGM when they were looking for Eevee was too overdramatic.

By the way, I finally got around to checking out that example you mentioned in my first blog entry (about Braixen's evolution scene). What I have to say about that is that the dub's BGM that replaced DreamDream engrossed me in that scene, but in a different way. DreamDream gave it a "wow, that's so cool" feeling, while the dub BGM (I wish there was an album so I can call these tracks by a name) gave it a "aww, that's so sweet" feeling. Although I agree that the volume on that track ought to have been better tuned.

If you look up episodes on Bulbapedia, they'll tell you which episodes of XY use background music from a movie.

Example; Braixen's broken twig episode includes music from the soundtrack for Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice.

As for them having different characters, seeing as I'm okay with Meowth in English (I find him funny) it isn't too much of a big deal that he's more dickish. Though, I'll admit, if that's true, I never knew that. I would've thought Team Rocket were equally dickish in any dub~
Jessie, James and Meowth are each strikingly different from Musashi, Kojiro and Nyasu, it's actually bizarre to see! The most obvious thing is their relationship with each other is clearly closer in the orginial and the way they talk to each other is more affectionate. The TRio get a lot of dialogue change, presumably because Zoppi (who I understand writes the script) thinks it is funnier, and things like James and Meowth's abject fear of Jessie is almost entirely a dub-only addition. I remember in DP they changed a lot of Kojiro and Nyasu's irrelevant lines into ones about being scared of Jessie.

Of course, as I understand it the dubbers only made those changes in good fun. Even if the English Trio is different from the Japanese Trio, I don't see much of a difference between them.

Of course, as I understand it the dubbers only made those changes in good fun. Even if the English Trio is different from the Japanese Trio, I don't see much of a difference between them.

Me neither. No matter the language, they're funny. I think they're slightly funnier in English, to be honest. After all, fear of Jessie is rather justified.

You know actually you're right! I like to surround myself with people who are arseholes towards me instead of my good friends and:
a. It's almost exactly the same!
b. It's soooooo funny!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You know actually you're right! I like to surround myself with people who are arseholes towards me instead of my good friends and:
a. It's almost exactly the same!
b. It's soooooo funny!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Friends aren't always nice to each other, you know. Particularly strong friendships can stand such tensions. That's how I see it. After all, I think anyone who goes onto a forum knows that feeling.

Number one is I don't know what half your post is on about.
Number two is who needs enemies when they have friends who treat them like shit and talk to them like they're lowlife scum (e.g. Meowth). Friends don't need to be sycophants and good friends do fight, but the Team Rocket trio are no friends at all.

Number one is I don't know what half your post is on about.
Number two is who needs enemies when they have friends who treat them like shit and talk to them like they're lowlife scum (e.g. Meowth). Friends don't need to be sycophants and good friends do fight, but the Team Rocket trio are no friends at all.

I guess it helps that I'd seen tons of other shows where friends are at odds with one another a lot (Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars's rivalry with one another is an example of this). That's what I see the dub TRio as: friends who happen to find themselves at odds with one another. There's no problem with me thinking that way, is there?

Example; Braixen's broken twig episode includes music from the soundtrack for Kyurem VS. The Sword of Justice.

And that was a great choice on the show's part. On that note, I think I mentioned this before, but I thought the original soundtrack for the Diancie movie absolutely sucked. Hopefully that soundtrack won't be reused too much, and if it does, then I hope the show uses it better.

Last edited:
Just to clarify my point (which I myself missed yesterday): Anyone can like whatever they like, but let's not pretend that the original TRio and the dub TRio aren't noticeably different from one another.

Just to clarify my point (which I myself missed yesterday): Anyone can like whatever they like, but let's not pretend that the original TRio and the dub TRio aren't noticeably different from one another.
You mean like how Kojiro (Japanese) is a silent guy who keeps to himself but James (English) can't keep himself from talking about wearing woman's clothing, wondering why Jesse has a hair style like she has, saying that the reason Cacturne punches so hard is because Harley has poor fashion sense, etc.?

Back to the topic of odd casting, what was with that Sableye in last week's episode (The Crisis in Kalos)??? For a thing that puny, it had an inappropriately deep and gruff voice.

Back to the topic of odd casting, what was with that Sableye in last week's episode (The Crisis in Kalos)??? For a thing that puny, it had an inappropriately deep and gruff voice.
That' because it's based on a imp plus Pokémon sound more... well vicious in the Japanese version ( Just look at JP Greninja)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom