• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gotta catch 'em all... or you can just trade for them.

Arphahat

Reaction score
Now, I haven't completed the game, far from it with only three badges, but it seems to me that it is ridiculously easy to get all of the pokemon via trade on the GTS. Especially with access to the day care... all I do is raise a bunch of the starters, Piplup, Turtwig and Chimcharr and trade them off.

Is there a reason to hunt these on my own? The added incentive of the double xp also is encouraging trades. Any thoughts on this?

Trading's always been a part of the series. Kadabra, Haunter, Machoke, and Graveler are evidence of that. The point of the game is obtaining the Pokemon, not catching them. Hell, even the anime's utilized trades on several occasions. This is just making it easier to do so, and no longer requiring you to solely own two systems and a link cable.

Good luck catching them all only via the GTS when you can only ask for Pokemon you've seen - which for most of the National Dex is going to be Pokemon you've caught anyway, either via Pal Park or PokeRadar.

If you've the option for Pal Park, USE it. I swear, the PokéRadar sucks harder than any item ever. I've used it numerous (5 hours worth) times, and I've used every tenchique in the book; and I've yet to find a Radar Pokémon.

The one time I went on GTS, I did random searches for the starter pokemon, and all anyone wanted for them were these level 100 legendaries. I said screw it and haven't been back since.

However, I know that once I start putting up pokemon of my own, I can get some sane trades out of the thing. So I may get some use out of it after all.

Yeah, the GTS has a lot of smegheads. I sought a female Combee and the only ones available were far above evolutionary level.

I'm much more fond of trading with net pals, people I can trust as far as I can digitally throw them. You know you're getting a good deal, and you cans chat with friends you've never seen before. It's quite nice. Quite nice indeed.

Yeah. Pretty much you have to search around for a good trade on the GTS. It's not fun when you're looking for a pokemon and all they want are, as Arphahat said, level 100 Dialgas or Palkias.

But so long as you make a fair trade, you can usually put up a pokemon yourself and have someone accept your trade within a few days.

Just please make sure the rarity and level of what you're asking for is equivalent to what you're giving away.

... Please?

The only problem with putting up your own Pokemon is that you can't make item requests, such as an Adamant Orb on Dialga or Luminous Orb on Palkia.

Yeah. Pretty much you have to search around for a good trade on the GTS. It's not fun when you're looking for a pokemon and all they want are, as Arphahat said, level 100 Dialgas or Palkias.

But so long as you make a fair trade, you can usually put up a pokemon yourself and have someone accept your trade within a few days.

Just please make sure the rarity and level of what you're asking for is equivalent to what you're giving away.

... Please?

You mean Dogasu, not Arphahat, although, I noticed that, too. My point is that getting Pokemon via a trade is very easy. The trade doesn't even need to be fair, since I was able to get the starters for whatever extra random Pokemons I had. And, after breeding the starters, I have been able to trade for every single Pokemon I didn't have (that were currently at least listed in my Pokedex) with just starter pokemon.

Although, the leveling decisions at the daycare aren't necessarily good choices. My Chimcharr.. uh, the evolved version of a Chimcharr... ended up keeping Ember and dumping Flame Wheel... I think I might level one of my new ones instead.

It doesn't really matter, as Heart Scales are really plentiful in DP.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom