• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Have you ever ditched your Starter?

Normally no, but I think I did ditch my starter in one game (might've been Pearl, but not entirely sure).

I generally box my starter after beating the elite four the first time. That's when I train all my other pokemon for various reasons (filling the pokedex mainly). It seems a bit odd, but I enjoy it.

Yes i've done it in several playthroughs and several pokemon games, for White i even made a whole custom team to trade later, i didn't give them any good tm moves though until later else it wouldn't have been fun xD But i don't ditch my starter everytime though :) Just sometimes, and i tend to replay my games quite often, it also depends on the game, i never had the urge to ditch my started in Emerald or Leafgreen, but i've done it quite often in Platinum and HG, I actually wanted to train pokemon to get ready for B/W2, but i don't think i'll make that now since i'm focused on other things, and sorry i rambled :x I think i'll play through B/W with ingame teams.

I've only done this once, When my Empolemon in Diamond was totally not getting trained as fast as everyone else. So I ditched it. It was lv 42 when i did while the rest of my team were lv 50+. I think I ditched it for a lv 49 Floatzel. Ice fang was useful in the Elite 4.

In ss i did for a shiny drowzee, I'm kind of over using the starters and in black and white i utterly hate the starters in that game so i usually swap them out when i can, when playing my Japanese black 2 i swapped out mu fire starter for a magby right near the start.

I do it almost every single time. I just don't like most of the startes.

I did it in Diamond after I beat the elite 4 but i put in starters from other generations so i always had some sort of starter in my party

When I was still a n00b with my PokeWalker in SoulSilver, I transferred my Totodile and didn't know how to transfer it back, so I restarted, simply because I never go without a starter.

i havnt started my white2/black2 games yet but i plan on replacing snivy right when i get the pal pad. im building the team i want to use for the game on my White V1 game so far i have

Timid Charmander lvl 1 with 31 speed, 31 Spec D, 31 Spec A IV's HM Fly
Jolly Sneasel lvl 1 with 31 Speed, 31 Attack, 31 Spec D IV's
Jolly Paras lvl 1 with 31 Attack, 31 Spec D, 26 speed IV's HM cut and false swipe
Timid Eevee (jolteon) lvl 1 with 31 speed, 31 special attack IV's

im working on my last 2 spots atm im thinking a horsea and i havnt decided on the 6th

horsea will have HM waterfall

so the 6th ill want to have strength dive and surf but im not sure which one i want to use yet. i think ill use Psyduck since i can even throw flash on him for his 4th move if i want too. or raindance or something.

pretty sure my team is going to be a little op for ingame tho.

but atleast i still put a starter in the mix with charmander lol

those will be the 6 i use during my playthrough of black 2

I've never ditched my starter, I've posted that on this very thread. But now there's an exception to that rule. I'm ditching my Pignite.
I decided to give Tepig a shot as I loaded up White 2. I get up the the third gym, I realize that I just do not like the Tepig line. There are better fire-types out there and the designs aren't all that great. I plan on replacing it with a Darumaka.

I've never ditched my starter, I just get too attached to it. Usually, I don't even box my starter until I'm done with the main storyline, and even after that it happens rarely.
Maybe I should try it in White 2, just to mix things up...

We could go way back to Yellow and I would say yes, always ditched Pikachu at Celadon City for a Jolteon. Other than that I always have my starter, they tend to have good stats for the most part.

I never ditched my starter. It was rather tempting when I first had Infernape in Diamond after learning what moves it can learn. When black and white first came out that's when I started to replace my starter. I would always do it until after the story though but I tend to hang on to them a little longer or at least until I can find a good replacement. Since I played through BW1 with all the starters I'll have to ditch my starter when I get Black 2.

I may do it with Samurott very, verry soon. Like, as soon as I climb Victory Road, Samurott's getting ditched and I'm training my Leavanny up.

I was thinking about ditching Pignite after a while. I wanted to give Tepig a shot in Black 2 since I picked Oshawott as my starter in White and Snivy when I did a replay (without saving that one) but I really don't like Tepig's evolution line that much. The Chimchar and Torchic line make much better Fire/Fighting types than Tepig's line. I'm not gonna ditch Pignite though, only because I promised myself that I'd always try to stick with my starter and have it the strongest on my team.

Umm.. let's see... I was using all three starters in my Gold via glitch, but an unlucky Bayleef was ditched by me. Also in a few runs of my white I ditched the starter. I plan to ditch my starter in black.

Well, maybe once, when I was doing a mono bug type run. But when I'm playing though a game for the first time, or when I'm not doing a nuzlocke, or a mone run or something like that, I tend to keep my starter.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom