• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Inspirational Anime/Manga!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niji

Shoob
Reaction score
What are some anime/manga you've watched/read that have inspired you to change your outlook on life, be a better person, follow your dreams, or whatever else? What are some that improved your life with their message, or you think could improve others'? Let's compile a list to share them with others, shall we? These don't have to be entirely uplifting, in fact, as long as their message is good. Both of mine can be pretty dark at times. From my anime viewing, two have really changed me.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal is the major one. Mainly Yuma. He's inspired me to laugh at my mistakes, allow myself to accept and see the good in others, have a better outlook on life, be more confident, and be a stronger person.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is the other more recent one. I admire all five of the main characters. They've also helped me stay positive and motivated. So, share, if you'd like.

Lets see

Another: That anime mad me realize that death can happen in any time. Plus if you think your life is bad, wait till you see there's.

That flower we saw that day: This one hit a more personal note, it deals with childhood death. Having a sibling who went through that, I can at least imagine a little with what my sibling went through.

Fairy Tail: That music, it simply made me want to write and had my brain oozing with thoughts.

GE: This manga wasn't really that good. As most Japanese manga's the main character was a total perv. Yet for some reason he was likable. The whole thing was fun, my eyes were red by the end of this.

My Teen Romantic Comedy: The main character is a lot like me, except he's a total anti-social. Yet for some reason attractive girls like him, it makes me wonder.

Naruto inspired me to wear an orange jumpsuit and a headband.

Angel Beats! even if it's silly, it's got a lot of heartfelt moments and the whole show, despite being essentially about dead kids with bad lives, is pretty much about how important life and how you need to accept it no matter what in order to move on is. Angel Beats! Ep12 Excerpt - Yuri's Speech - YouTube

Oh, the songs are really great too.

The anime most impactful to me was Clannad: After Story. I watched it when I was 18, having just finished my rebellious teenage years at home and living far away in a college dorm. Not too long beforehand I had received news from home that my grandma had died, which was the the first death of a loved one that really phased me. I was also starting to get very homesick around this time since my roommate had gotten expelled so I was living alone in my dorm. These factors set me up to take a nice sucker punch from Maeda Jun and his family-themed writing, and it made me really reevaluate how I should be interacting with and treating the important people in my life.

I have laughed and cried with (I can't seem to escape that bastard Maeda) a number of anime/VNs/etc., picked up minor lessons and new outlooks along the way, but for me I doubt anything will ever be as powerful as my first viewing of Clannad.

If I had to give a runner up, I would pick another popular title in the form of FMA (either one). It works hard to drive in the concept of "equivalent exchange" into the character's and viewer's mind. To me this is a good motivator for trying to seize what I want, and while we don't live perfect world where everyone receives their just desserts, for the most part you're going to have to put in time, effort, or money to accomplish something.

Crying shows like Angel Beats! and AnoHana certainly immerse me in their characters and have a more immediate emotional impact on me than something like FMA, but the effect isn't really lasting and they don't always provide a noticeable change in me, my actions/decisions, or my life outlook.

Cinderella Monogatari has inspired me. It did a really good job showing that no matter how bad things got, Cinderella managed to keep a positive attitude. It also made me think more carefully about bad first impressions. It used to be that when I had a bad first impression of someone, I viewed the situation as being unable to fix. But seeing how Cinderella managed to become close friends with Charles even though their first couple of meetings went wrong made me happy. Now I think that it's best to try to fix the situation if you get a bad first impression of someone. If I hadn't watched this series, I probably would still hold grudges from first impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom