• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is generation VI a better improvemnt in comparision to gen V and other generations?

Is gen VI more improved and better designed then other generations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Is generation VI a better improvemnt in comparision to gen V and other generation

I'm a big fan of Generation 6. While I can't comment on the Generation 5 games specifically (they're the only main-series games I've never played), I will say to those who aren't fans of the plot of X and Y, Pokemon isn't a series where the appeal lies in the stories. Sure a good story is nice, but if you're playing Pokemon for the story you're playing for the wrong reason. The main appeal of the series is battling and collecting monsters, and this is where the 6th Generation games shine brightest.

I think the story is one of the most important pieces of a Pokemon game. Sure, battling and collecting pokemon is what it's all about in the end, but to me that isn't something I would be too excited about whenever a new game comes out. Battling and catching Pokemon is something we see every single time. The story (and with that I include the region) is the thing that makes a game nostalgic, it identifies a generation as a whole. Without the story, I would be bored as hell within a single day. So please, don't state that playing Pokemon for the story is a wrong reason to play.

Re: Is generation VI a better improvemnt in comparision to gen V and other generation

I'm a big fan of Generation 6. While I can't comment on the Generation 5 games specifically (they're the only main-series games I've never played), I will say to those who aren't fans of the plot of X and Y, Pokemon isn't a series where the appeal lies in the stories. Sure a good story is nice, but if you're playing Pokemon for the story you're playing for the wrong reason. The main appeal of the series is battling and collecting monsters, and this is where the 6th Generation games shine brightest.

I think the story is one of the most important pieces of a Pokemon game. Sure, battling and collecting pokemon is what it's all about in the end, but to me that isn't something I would be too excited about whenever a new game comes out. Battling and catching Pokemon is something we see every single time. The story (and with that I include the region) is the thing that makes a game nostalgic, it identifies a generation as a whole. Without the story, I would be bored as hell within a single day. So please, don't state that playing Pokemon for the story is a wrong reason to play.

Except that the story is basically the same every single time too. Kid gets starter Pokemon, kid meets rival(s) that either help or hinder him/her (or both), kid meets villainous team, kid thwarts villainous teams plans, kid battles and gets all 8 badges, challenges the Elite 4 and becomes champion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down anyone who enjoys a good story in a Pokemon game – like you said, the different takes and developments to the core story is one of the things that differentiates each generation. I just don't think one should put a ton of stock into it when determining a game's overall quality. When it gets down to it, Pokemon is primarily a gameplay driven series. Even you admitted it when you said catching and battling is what the games come down to in the end.

Last edited:

I say yes because I pretty much hated everything about gen 5. I dislike most of the new Pokemon introduced, the main game stories put me to sleep (and so did some of the side games), the region was pretty boring for me, and most of all I hate how they wanted to distance Unova from every other region before it and have a large majority of Unova Pokemon consist of the main Pokemon in the story of the games (one of the main reasons why I don't care much for GTI or PokePark 2). Even now, sometimes I still feel odd seeing Unova Pokemon integrated with others from other regions.

Overall I'd say gen 6 is a massive, massive improvement over gen 5 and is one of my favorite gens. As for how it compares to other gens, I personally like 3 and 4 more, but feel like it was much better than 1 and 2 as well.

Really like Gen VI, but Gen IV is my favourite, just ahead of Gen III, and then I d have to say Gen I/II together and Gen V way back. :)

For me personally, Generation VI has been a major disappointment mainly because of how I viewed the generation that came before it. While still being on the Nintendo DS and using sprites meant that Generation V were still pedestrian from a technical standpoint, I felt that Black/White (and their sequels) represented a more significant shift content wise.

Team Plasma being reminiscent of PETA and Pokémon Gyms being contained within other businesses gave the Unova region a more realistic and mature feel, which was also helped by the protagonists being slightly older than their predecessors. The attention given to the development of the Team Plasma story and the development of N was amazing; especially given how the stories of these games tend to be "meh" at best.

While the sixth generation brought its own revolutionary changes such as the shift to the Nintendo 3DS allowing for 3D models, I felt that it failed to live up to every area where Black/White excelled.

I haven't voted on the poll yet, but my thoughts are between the 1st and 3rd choices.

I'm easily satified, although I do kinda have to admit that the story could have been oh so much better in X and Y. Ωmega Ruby and αlpha Sapphire amaizing story (improvement) made up for it though in my opinion.

The game play is pretty good in my opinion. The Fairy-Type does balance out Dragon-Types. Super Training is a great and fun alternitive for EV Training, and sort of "introduces" people who don't know about EVs to EV Training, although unknowingly. Pokemon Amie is, very fun too, and makes some of the Pokemon that you wouldn't expect (such as Hydreigon and Yvetal) very cute.:XD2:The PSS is probably the best thing for online multiplayer, and the changes to the GTS is pretty much the best thing for online trading.

The transition to 3D models are really good too.:-D

Gen 6 is a strange generation. It improves vastly the gameplay and graphics, and introduces Mega Evolutions. Probably ther biggest introduction since Abilities and Natures in gen 3. And since Gameplay and graphics are the most important concepts in a game imo, I rate Gen 6 highly. It´s actually my fave generation, since it remade fantasticaly my former fave games: R/S/E.
What surprises me the most in Gen 6 is the way GF connected the games in this gen. First they launched the Kalos pair of games, which showed us all the new glowy features, mainly 3d Graphics, Megas and customization. But also the really improved Online mode and the best Pokemon selection ever in a Pokemon game (all the best Pokes from all previous gens, plus the newly introduced ones are mostly all available in Kalos). However, those games didn´t feel like an end- product to me. More like a big handy extra- content thing. It throws in great new concepts but ties them in with a very simlpistic story and almost no post game. Those game to me are like a big Poke bank thing to feed OR/AS later.

Cause OR/AS is the real thing so far in this generation. It has an impressive amount of features. Yes, it missess customization (which doesn´t matter to me, and I prefer how my character looks in ORAS than any of the possible clothes combinations in X)) but introduces the Delta Episode, Soaring, the new slow- walking technique and has the best piece of technology in any pokemon game (the Pokenav Plus). As a whole, its a much more complete game, has better story, much more content and, well, is the best Pokemon game ever till now, imo.
Yes, it has a few problems that were deliberatly put there (GF style) like no gym rematches (no excuse for GF there) and no call function for the Pokenav Plus, but they are relatively unsignificant for the whole experience... Also, the lack of the awesome Hoenn BF is kinda forgivable, thanks to the Battle Maison (it is actually better than the Kalos one) and mainly thanks to the online Battle features like the Battle Spot (which Emerald didnt have, and therefore needed the BF a lot more than ORAS).

But what I really find interesting is the way the Kalos games interact with ORAS. Basically, you get X, start collecting Mega Stones, breeding all your fave Pokemon, getting familiar with the new features as a whole, and once you are done with that, you get ORAS, transfer all your fave mons there, and enjoy a much more complete game. It is almost as they wer all part of one big game. They balance each other almost perfectly.

So, to answer your question... If it was for the Kalos games, I´d say it is a step back in many ways and a step forward in other ways. And if it was only for OR/AS, i would say it´s the best generation sofar.

Last edited:

Black/White (but not Black2/White2) sets the bar high for the story in terms of Pokemon games, if we're being honest. Even in previous generations, the villainous team has been a bit strange in their actions (eg., Plasma and the Honey, Plasma in Eterna City, Aqua and Magma in general in RS) and not really being all that fleshed out until their third game. So I'm not going to write off Kalos until I see what GameFreak does for the third game equivalent.

That being said, I've enjoyed Kalos (but not necessarily ORAS) more than most previous generations. The jump to 3D, despite its minor hiccups, was beautiful. Kalos looks like a real region that people are living in. I don't really get that feeling with any other region. I was a little bit disappointed that there were so few new Pokemon, but the fact that there was an amazing amount of diversity in catchable Pokemon offset that disappointment. I really enjoy having my own choice in building my team, so that was really enjoyable. On top of it, the EXP.All allowed me to change my team whenever I wanted to without too much repercussion. I always hated that in previous generations it would often be a waste of time to switch up your team.

Player customization is really nice. I wish that they had expanded it more, especially for males player characters since they're so limited, but it was a nice first dive into customization. I was very disappointed (but completely unsurprised) when it was not included in ORAS. I can only hope that the third game expands on customization more.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't mind the story that isn't as good as Black and White. Pokemon has never been very good at stories. And personally, I prefer the less involved story (or at least the story where the evil team is less involved). I enjoy the simple, but effective, stories of Generations I and II the most. Partially because I think Team Rocket is one of the most compelling teams and because they're not dependant on a legendary Pokemon to move their story, but also because the story feels real and at the core of what Pokemon is about. Black and White has a good story, but I feel like it is the focal point of the game and I don't really care for that. (Black 2 and White 2 had shit stories though.)

Overall, I would say Generation VI has been an overall step forward for the game.

Not a huge fan of the setting, either. The developers seem to have decided not so much to make a new region, but to make PokeFrance! It's got an Eiffel Tower, and cafes everywhere, and it's all pretty and beautiful and FASHIONABLE and because France is in Europe there must be an ingrained nobility, even though France has a rather interesting history when it comes to nobility.
Kanto is literally named after the region it's based off of. Most of the PokeJapan regions, I would venture, are more accessible and familiar to the Japanese players since they're from there. I mean, as soon as I saw an image of Unova I clocked that it was based off of metro-NYC. Because we're Western, and because France has such easily accessible visuals, it would be identified without trouble.

For me personally, Generation VI has been a major disappointment mainly because of how I viewed the generation that came before it. While still being on the Nintendo DS and using sprites meant that Generation V were still pedestrian from a technical standpoint, I felt that Black/White (and their sequels) represented a more significant shift content wise.

Team Plasma being reminiscent of PETA and Pokémon Gyms being contained within other businesses gave the Unova region a more realistic and mature feel, which was also helped by the protagonists being slightly older than their predecessors. The attention given to the development of the Team Plasma story and the development of N was amazing; especially given how the stories of these games tend to be "meh" at best.

While the sixth generation brought its own revolutionary changes such as the shift to the Nintendo 3DS allowing for 3D models, I felt that it failed to live up to every area where Black/White excelled.

That's storyline, not content. Content would be things like region design, Pokemon, and extra features, how much there actually is to do in the game. And in that area, 5th gen was actually a step backwards because it simplified the region design and had less to explore than past games and in BW1 it narrowed the Pokemon selection down to only the new ones.

That's storyline, not content. Content would be things like region design, Pokemon, and extra features, how much there actually is to do in the game. And in that area, 5th gen was actually a step backwards because it simplified the region design and had less to explore than past games and in BW1 it narrowed the Pokemon selection down to only the new ones.

The narrative is a part of the game's content. The Unova region only being populated by new Pokémon was a deliberate decision based on Game Freak's vision for the game. Not only did the games feature more new species than any other new generation (over 150!), but it was set in an all new region that was geographically separated from all the others that came before it, so much like how the wildlife in the real world varies from country to country, so did the distribution of the Pokémon. I actually really liked that decision, because I disliked the amount of Generation I Pokémon I encountered in Johto and how few new Pokémon there were in Kalos.

The narrative is a part of the game's content.

The elements of it you mentioned though, do not affect content. Realistic and mature settings and character development aren't really content, because regardless of whether they're there or not, you're still going to be doing the same thing in the game.

The Unova region only being populated by new Pokémon was a deliberate decision based on Game Freak's vision for the game. Not only did the games feature more new species than any other new generation (over 150!), but it was set in an all new region that was geographically separated from all the others that came before it, so much like how the wildlife in the real world varies from country to country, so did the distribution of the Pokémon. I actually really liked that decision, because I disliked the amount of Generation I Pokémon I encountered in Johto and how few new Pokémon there were in Kalos.

Whether or not it's a good thing that there's less Pokemon is a matter of opinion, sure, but you cannot argue that Unova had a better selection than most games because there were simply less available than usual.

If you want to know my opinion, I think they need something in between BW1 and XY. Game Freak in general has this problem, they like flip-flopping between having tons of old Pokemon and not enough new Pokemon in even numbered generations (2nd, 4th, 6th) and having tons of new Pokemon and not enough old Pokemon (3rd and 5th). Platinum and BW2 is the closest we've come to good balance IMO.

The elements of it you mentioned though, do not affect content. Realistic and mature settings and character development aren't really content, because regardless of whether they're there or not, you're still going to be doing the same thing in the game.
It is content.

The Unova region only being populated by new Pokémon was a deliberate decision based on Game Freak's vision for the game. Not only did the games feature more new species than any other new generation (over 150!), but it was set in an all new region that was geographically separated from all the others that came before it, so much like how the wildlife in the real world varies from country to country, so did the distribution of the Pokémon. I actually really liked that decision, because I disliked the amount of Generation I Pokémon I encountered in Johto and how few new Pokémon there were in Kalos.

Whether or not it's a good thing that there's less Pokemon is a matter of opinion, sure, but you cannot argue that Unova had a better selection than most games because there were simply less available than usual.
There were the same number of available species as there were in Red/Blue, as well as more new options than any other game has currently provided.

If you want to know my opinion, I think they need something in between BW1 and XY. Game Freak in general has this problem, they like flip-flopping between having tons of old Pokemon and not enough new Pokemon in even numbered generations (2nd, 4th, 6th) and having tons of new Pokemon and not enough old Pokemon (3rd and 5th). Platinum and BW2 is the closest we've come to good balance IMO.
I won't disagree there; the updated Pokédex listings found in Platinum and B2W2 did a lot to improve on some of the issues their predecessors had (such as the severe lack of Fire-type Pokémon in DP).

Theres nothing that I can say that was not said before, I think.

In any case, my view is that the generation 6 generally improved a lot in the graphics and that was the best part of it. Regarding other generations, the qualitative leap in the graphs was the greatest of all, no doubt. And the inclusion in the 3D world was very well done.
Other features inserted though nice, are not so well done. The fairy type could be balanced better. And the mega evolutions, although interesting, could be better distributed among other Pokemons that needed it.

X / Y as already said, it is an ok game, but it's just there. It will not be remembered in the future. Although I really like the new Pokemons, the design and types in general. When I played however it seemed like something was missing,
ORAS was the best of the sixth generation, much more enjoyable than XY in my opinion.

Responding directly to the question: yes, in terms of graphics and "mechanics" if that's what I can say, the generation 6, alone, is the one that had the biggest improvements of the franchise. But this alone dont make a perfect game. So, doesnt mean it's the best, there's a lot things to improve in the next generations, especially the storyline.

Not in the context of video games. Video game content refers more to what the player can actually do.

There were the same number of available species as there were in Red/Blue, as well as more new options than any other game has currently provided.

In terms of overall Pokemon though, BW1 was one of the worst. Most Pokemon games have at least 200 in the main game.

Not in the context of video games. Video game content refers more to what the player can actually do.
Nope. "Content" basically means "Anything that is included", so the story and thematic motifs are "content" too, because they're in the game.

In terms of overall Pokemon though, BW1 was one of the worst. Most Pokemon games have at least 200 in the main game.
Lowest doesn't necessarily mean worst. For example, XY had the largest but I found having a large pool just as detrimental as having a small one. It also helped that BW had more new species than any other game; second only to RS' 135. Personally, I like to only use new Pokémon when I'm playing a new game, so I'd prefer more new species as opposed to just more species in general.

In XY you get an unimpressive story plot. In ORAS you get an improved story plot.
In XY you get the Looker post-game quest. In ORAS you get Delta Episode where you can catch two legendaries, one of them being an event exclusive in the past.
In XY you get the worst champion who doesn't do anything. In ORAS you get the best champion who's deeply involved.
In XY you can only get the Mega Stones during one hour of the day and some of them are version exclusives. In ORAS you have access to all the Mega Stones regardless of versions.
In XY the cities are beautiful. In ORAS all the nature provide diverse environments.
ORAS has the Dex Nav AND two Breeding places.

Conclusion: Generation 6 would have been a wreck if it weren't for ORAS. XY alone really can't compete with Gen5 because Gen5 has the best story and B2W2 has one of the most extensive postgames and side activities as well. ORAS tops a lot of features and fixed a lot of stuff gone wrong.

Except that the story is basically the same every single time too. Kid gets starter Pokemon, kid meets rival(s) that either help or hinder him/her (or both), kid meets villainous team, kid thwarts villainous teams plans, kid battles and gets all 8 badges, challenges the Elite 4 and becomes champion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down anyone who enjoys a good story in a Pokemon game – like you said, the different takes and developments to the core story is one of the things that differentiates each generation. I just don't think one should put a ton of stock into it when determining a game's overall quality. When it gets down to it, Pokemon is primarily a gameplay driven series. Even you admitted it when you said catching and battling is what the games come down to in the end.

The better the story is, the more memorable it is. Why do you think they advertised N to the point of wearing out his popularity during Gen 5? Because he's handsome? Because he's popular with the female audience? No - because he's deeply involved in the story plot as a major character. The development surrounding him and Team Plasma, everything that builds up along the two tales of the twin heroes, and finally the finale where Ghetsis reveals everything... That's what makes BW an amazing game to play and why N is one of the most memorable character even now. Story matters a lot - an awful lot because memorable story means memorable characters as well. And I don't think anyone should be saying "If you're playing pokemon for story, you've come to the wrong place" because that itself is putting down players who indeed play for story.

Same goes for how Steven Stone was practically advertised just as much as N. Same goes for how Wally was improved - they created his own theme music AND gave him a special battle background just to show how he's changed - they gave him a more improved story. Same reason there's a huge debate about Delta Episode and why people care about the parallel universe theories and stuff. It all involves story. Pokemon isn't just about a kid picking up a starter and collecting gym badges to be the champion. You gotta look wider and farther than that - there's more to pokemon than just being a trainer.

Last edited:

The better the story is, the more memorable it is.

I can just as easily apply that same logic to gameplay or other aspects for a game or series. The better the gameplay, the better the game, the more unique and fun the gameplay, the more memorable it is, etc. There are a lot of ways for a game to make a positive impression on a person.

Why do you think they advertised N to the point of wearing out his popularity during Gen 5? Because he's handsome? Because he's popular with the female audience? No - because he's deeply involved in the story plot as a major character. The development surrounding him and Team Plasma, everything that builds up along the two tales of the twin heroes, and finally the finale where Ghetsis reveals everything... That's what makes BW an amazing game to play and why N is one of the most memorable character even now.

You're not gonna convince me to change my opinion on this through using examples from Gen 5. I already stated I never played any of those games and I took a hiatus from Pokemon throughout the entire period of time they were new, so I have no idea what you’re talking about beyond a few general comments about the story in the Gen 5 games that I've read in the past.

Story matters a lot - an awful lot because memorable story means memorable characters as well.

No, story and character can be tied together, but they're still separate elements. Black and White's case aside, one being great doesn't automatically make the other great, so I view them as separate when I talk about a story or game's appeal. And for the record, Pokemon is a great character franchise. There are a ton of quirky, memorable, interesting, and great characters one encounters when playing through any of the main games.

But Pokemon is not a great story-telling franchise IMO. Outside of Gen 5 and a few instances in other games, Pokemon does not have nearly as strong of a track record when it comes to its plots than it does with its characters and gameplay.

Same goes for how Steven Stone was practically advertised just as much as N. Same goes for how Wally was improved - they created his own theme music AND gave him a special battle background just to show how he's changed - they gave him a more improved story.

Wally and Stephen Stone being more fleshed out or shown off in the remakes doesn't indicate that story is an extremely important aspect to the games – the original games were popular without those added aspects and the remakes would be just as popular as they are now regardless of whether GameFreak decided to include them or not.

Same reason there's a huge debate about Delta Episode and why people care about the parallel universe theories and stuff. It all involves story.

Not sure what you’re getting at here. Discussions on parallel universes doesn’t indicate anything about the quality or importance of a story. Fans just like to speculate on ways to make the timeline and universe the games are set in make sense. That was definitely one of the more interesting lines in the Delta Episode and I like to speculate about it too, but I don’t care about it specifically because of the in-game story. I just think it’s fun and interesting to speculate.

Pokemon isn't just about a kid picking up a starter and collecting gym badges to be the champion. You gotta look wider and farther than that - there's more to pokemon than just being a trainer.

Your point about the games having more to offer is well taken. Personally though, I don’t feel the need to look wider and farther. Pokemon has been my favorite video game franchise for over half my life and has been a huge influence on me throughout that time, all without needing to do anything other than enjoy the gameplay. I don't expect anything else and I don't need anything else. Pokemon doesn't owe me anything else either.

As for the "wrong reason" comment I made, I apologize about how abrasive and narrow-minded it was. However I think people are slightly misinterpreting what I meant by it. I said that because I felt some people were assigning a far greater weight to the story over gameplay when evaluating X and Y, which to me really isn't being fair when evaluating a Pokemon game. But it came off like me saying that story doesn't matter at all, which is a subjective opinion at best and incorrect at worst.

Last edited:

I loved X and Y. They started the gen off at a good started and I rated it 9/10. But then ORAS came and I was disappointed. The remakes were a disaster to me and lack most of the features I enjoyed in Emerald. The Battle Frontier was only teased by the model of the battle tower which adds insult to injury and I didn't get to see the battle between both primals. I score it 7/10 after the disgrace it showed for this gen. Other cons of ORAS were too many legendaries and the fact you can complete the national dex with the current gen 6 games.

Gen 6 is better with graphics but only X and Y were truly the superior games of the gen.

As for the "wrong reason" comment I made, I apologize about how abrasive and narrow-minded it was. However I think people are slightly misinterpreting what I meant by it. I said that because I felt some people were assigning a far greater weight to the story over gameplay when evaluating X and Y, which to me really isn't being fair when evaluating a Pokemon game. But it came off like me saying that story doesn't matter at all, which is a subjective opinion at best and incorrect at worst.

Just as much as you value gameplay the most, there are people who value story just as much or even more. Maybe you don't care about story, but for some, story is an important aspect of games. You say it's not fair to evaluate pokemon by story - but people are evaluating story because there's a lot of quality to it and since GF took care to give characters development and their own background details and create a pokemon universe where multiple theories can apply, it means players can interpret the story aspect to their own liking. 20 years. Pokemon has been around for 20 years and appealed to a large fanbase where people like Pokemon for various reasons. People who like pokemon for story exist just as much as people who like pokemon for gameplay.

I think 6th gen is a downgrade on fifth gen... though that's due to the master class that is BW2. XY is better than BW1, so if we get a Z, we'll see how it shapes up.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom