• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Japanese ending themes

FabuVinny

May the Aura be with you.
Reaction score
I've been looking at how long each of the Japanese endings were used for and these are the results:

Original Series

Hundred and Fifty-One = 27 weeks
Meowth's Song = 10 weeks+4 weeks
Pocket Fantasy = 16 weeks
Pokémon Ondo = 11 weeks+1 week
Type Wild = 35 weeks
Riding on Lapras = 12 weeks
Meowth's Party = 24 weeks
Exciting Pokémon Relay = 15 weeks+10 weeks
Takeshi's Paradise = 6 weeks
To My Best Friend = 19 weeks
Face Forward Team Rocket = 47 weeks
Pokettari Monsutari = 35 weeks

Advance Generation

Because the Sky is There = 18 weeks+7 weeks
Polka O Dolka = 25 weeks
Smile = 31 weeks+7 weeks
Full of Summer = 9 weeks
GLORY DAY ~That Shining Day~ = 36 weeks+22 weeks
Pokémon Counting Song = 15 weeks
I won't lose! ~Haruka's theme~ = 20 weeks

Now, calculating between the first and most recent usage puts Thursday's episode at the 40th week for By Your Side ~Hikari's Theme~. That makes it the third most used ending already, 7 weeks behind Face Forward Team Rocket for consecutive usage and 18 weeks behind GLORY DAY ~That Shining Day~ for total usage.

So do you think a new ending will be coming soon?

Takeshi's Paradise only ran for six episodes? o.o

Yeah, we definetly need a new ending soon. Even though the Pop-Up Version sounds different enough, something new would be appreciated.

Well, Hikari's Theme had two versions technically. The animation had a few changes in the second version but not much...

I agree we do need a new ending soon though.

I actually think Dawn's theme is bound to last a little longer. They put a lot of work into it and are updating it when new Pokemon are added so its not like its outdated.

The other reason is the writers wanted to make sure that Dawn became a popular character right off the bat, so by shoving her theme right at the beginning of the series we're exposed to her tremendously. Over time when we're into our second year of D/P I imagine the constant Dawn promotion will die down a little bit, because by then they'll know she's been well received by the audience.

I see it as the writers trying to avoid past mistakes, considering back in AG, they didn't give May a theme all the way till she was about to leave whereas that really should have happened at the beginning. They pretty much composed her theme music for what...four regular episodes? The amount of Dawn's theme played in the regular episodes is evidence enough they don't want that music track to go to waste.

It also reveals to the audience that Dawn is THE most important female character for at least the next 3-4 years, so people can stop throwing forth conspiracy theories about which female characters are more important than others.

I feel like the last time the theme will be used is the second episode of the next contest. I mean, that'd be a perfect way for it to end, right?

The current ending of Dawn's Theme looks pretty filled if you ask me. If Ash catches Hippopotas like people have been guessing, I expect it to change probably the following episode. It doesn't look like the part where all of them are in a circle can fit much more.

Wonder when Toghether will change? Advanced Adventure lasted for like, a year and a half but recent opening have lasted alot shorter...

Well, Hikari's Theme had two versions technically.

As did Smile. Glory Day had three.

There was also a one-off oddball christmas version of Pocket ni Fantasy ("La la la la la la Merry Christmas"), and a full version of Boku no Best Friend e used for the Mewtwo special.

Wonder when Toghether will change? Advanced Adventure lasted for like, a year and a half but recent opening have lasted alot shorter...

openings usually last about a year. However, if OK! and Advanced Adventure are anything to go by, we won't see the first opening of a series (or region in OK!'s case) change until around episode 70. Mezase Pokemon Master lasted long as well, but I guess that was a special case seeing as the Kantou saga as a whole only lasted 80+ episodes (though with this in mind, it does seem odd that Battle Frontier had two openings).

BTW, I just thought I'd point out that, with the amount of multi-episode specials we've had since DP's premiere, By Your Side technically didn't play as many times as the number of episodes (though I guess this becomes a moot point once you factor in DVD releases or any subsequent re-runs of those episodes on their own).

I'm curious about something, so I have a question about the Japanese openings/endings....

Besides the OK, Advance Adventure, and Spurt instrumentals (the only ones I know about) - how many other openings (and endings) have instrumental versions, which were played as BGM in the anime?

"Because the Sky is There" only got 25 weeks? Man, it deserves like, 100!

Okay.. erm... maybe that's a bit too much ^^;

All of the Japanese openings had an instrumental version. Whether they were all used in the anime or not, I have no clue. Also, very few of the endings had an instrumental version.

LOL, Rachel. XD

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, actually. ^^o

All of the Japanese openings had an instrumental version. Whether they were all used in the anime or not, I have no clue.
Oh okay, Geoff.

Well anyway, that's what I was asking about: Which of the instrumentals (from the opening/endings) were used in the anime as BGM? And how many of those instrumentals have been used in the anime, so far?

Glory Day deserved the time it got, great song. Because the Sky is there should have been on for a little longer, though.

Given its popularity, I'm amazed at how short Takeshi's Paradise ran. They need like a remixed version or something.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom