• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN017: Hibanny, Use Your Flaming Kick! Face Tomorrow!!

A great episode! First of all I loved how TR was utilized here. They are so much more fun when written like in today's episode instead of being constantly used at middle of every episode for the same gag. More of this please! I also loved how they used Chewtle once more! Hope it sticks with TR.
I'll admit I was pretty surprised Scorbunny evolved so soon. I feel like some tension is needed between it and Gou so I'm pretty welcoming of Raboot's new personality. It'll be interesting to see its relationship with its trainer develop!
Also, come to think of it, will we be getting a new OP soon? Or are they going to alter every appearance of Scorbunny in the current OP?

Last edited:
I think we are getting another 1 2 3 version next week.

This might even be the beginning of Gou catching less to train more. I hope he changes his objective from 'catching them all' to 'catch things that might actually help understanding mew or at least specific pokémon principles',
For example Metamon is really useful for Mew for dna and transformation or a fossil Pokémon for ancient dna..
Eevee if he wants to study evolution, Nidorans for gender differences, Castform for weather

I think this disobedience plot that the writer(s) came up with is bullcrap. The fact that they were willing to sacrifice Scorbunny's mass appeal for Raboot's edgelord ass makes me sick. This was done in the name of adding more drama and making Go 'learn a lesson', but that could've easily been done by having another one of his many Pokemon go rogue. I think that evolving Scorbunny just so that it can became a disobedient plot device is ridiculous and I feel like Fujisaku is channeling his soul into the rest of the writing staff.

I'm gonna go ahead and call this my favorite ep of this series yet. A dedicated Rocket episode that also did well with Go!

+LOVE the hideout, especially that oldschool juke box! I hope we'll get to see it again considering Go found it.
+Alola newspaper!
+Leave it to TR to make Shiritori not suck (I skip the ending song every time).
+Pelipper actually did more than just deliver the Gachat.
+CHEWSTER IS BACK!! And he's more powerful than I expected! Somewhat disappointed with it going to Jessie, I guess biting her hair is its gag. I hope this is leading towards the Gachat becoming less random or even dropping it eventually.
+TR showing up again after getting one-shotted.

+Go doing plot-relevant things instead of no-effort captures.
+Hints of plot relevance for Koharu.

-Not crazy about Scorbunny evolving already, I hope it's a good long while before it evolves again. Its Ember consists of heating up small objects rather than fire breath. That's different I guess, but I would have preferred Blaze Kick.
-The "Ash only knows how to explain things through sound effects" thing gets old IMO.

I think this disobedience plot that the writer(s) came up with is bullcrap. The fact that they were willing to sacrifice Scorbunny's mass appeal for Raboot's edgelord ass makes me sick. This was done in the name of adding more drama and making Go 'learn a lesson', but that could've easily been done by having another one of his many Pokemon go rogue. I think that evolving Scorbunny just so that it can became a disobedient plot device is ridiculous and I feel like Fujisaku is channeling his soul into the rest of the writing staff.
What other pokemon would would he or any of us would care about just as much for going rogue? Just cause it's not a tiny bunny anymore doesn't mean he still won't get appeal

What other pokemon would would he or any of us would care about just as much for going rogue? Just cause it's not a tiny bunny anymore doesn't mean he still won't get appeal
I wouldn’t mind Gou Pokémon for disobeying Scyhter as Scizzor seems perfect

I wouldn’t mind Gou Pokémon for disobeying Scyhter as Scizzor seems perfect
Again, would we care though? Every pokemon of Gou's don't always show up so it's hard to find any interest in them. However Scorbunny is a pokemon we consistently see, so we are more invested in his growth with Gou.

Again, would we care though? Every pokemon of Gou's don't always show up so it's hard to find any interest in them. However Scorbunny is a pokemon we consistently see, so we are more invested in his growth with Gou.
Sorry I wasn’t trying to get you as truly. I just felt Scorbunny was too fast to evolved. It should evolve afther mastering two new moves

also Shouldn’t Gou other fire Pokémon have profile page It did shown personality. It could be the reason that Scorbunny evolve Because It shown to be quite powerful and teasing scorbunny was cause to make it work so hard to learn fire attacks. It also could be he finds scorbunny weak fire Pokémon.

Man, another good episode.

Darmanitan starting shit for no other reason than it could had me on the floor. I miss this friendly antagonism that would exist between party members, especially when it would lead to character development.

I liked the focus on Scorbunny, even though I agree with most that this was too early for it to evolve; what about the Scorbunny marketing? Especially since its battles aren't terribly productive and Go doesn't battle much anyway. I'm also going to miss seeing it animated, but whatever. Still, I liked seeing it determined to master Ember as its lack of Fire-type moves was the 8th Wonder of the World. Rather than an oversight, the writers factored it into a decent plot point. And speaking of plot points, Go really pissed me off this episode. And no-it's not about his many captures or lack of battling per se. It was his blatant refusal to understand his Pokemon and where it was coming from. As a Trainer, why you'd be comfortable with your Fire-type starter, of all things, being unable to perform the most basic Fire-type technique (despite it explicitly trying to do) is beyond me. It's disappointing. Translated, the dude basically said "Accept there are some things you cannot do."

This isn't Jessie commanding her Seviper to use Sacred Fire.

However, this isn't new. Since the beginning of their time together, when it asked to join him the first time, Go has been dismissive of Scorbunny. In this episode alone, it isn't until the final act that he finally puts his feelings aside and embraces what his Pokemon is trying to accomplish. We've already seen this done before with other Pokemon and their Trainers, such as Dawn and Togekiss or Ash and Grotle, so it was all the more frustrating seeing Go decidedly not be empathetic to bringing out the best of his Pokemon in their own special way. I expected a more articulated agreement from Ash, but, of course, the writers had him speak like a baby with sounds and exaggerations rather than advise like someone who's done 6+ regions of Pokemon training.

This is why I loved Raboot's cold shoulder after the evolution was all said and done. Just because you finally came around to common sense, doesn't mean you're getting a free pass to everything that happened today and prior. At least, I hope that's the reason behind it's lack of affection. They could also just be having it embrace the specie's naturally distant disposition, but that's easy and won't provide as much character development as the former. Go needs to learn and realize that raising Pokemon is more than just catching them and doing the bare minimum. They have hopes and dreams, and it's a Trainer's responsibility to help realize them. So, here's hoping this'll be the start towards that notion.

Also, speaking of Raboot-man, do I love how it's animated. I wasn't too fond of its initial leak, though its in-game Camp model and official art helped. Now, I'm over the moon with what they did, especially with how Ember was performed. Here's hoping we see it in more productive battles.

but that could've easily been done by having another one of his many Pokemon go rogue
No one would care about that since we don’t see those Pokémon every 10 episodes or so. And Gou wouldn’t care much- he preferred photographing a bunch of Dragonite when one of his Pokémon was washed away in a storm.

Well, that was atrocious - the problem the episode was based around was solved by the five minute mark, so they had to revert to the tried-and-true method of "shove Team Rocket into the episode to fill the remaining run time"

Haven't seen an episode literally grind to a halt like that since the Hoenn episode

Also, Scorbunny learned an illegal move, on account of neither it nor raboot being able to learn Pyro Ball

Well, that was atrocious - the problem the episode was based around was solved by the five minute mark, so they had to revert to the tried-and-true method of "shove Team Rocket into the episode to fill the remaining run time"

Haven't seen an episode literally grind to a halt like that since the Hoenn episode

Also, Scorbunny learned an illegal move, on account of neither it nor raboot being able to learn Pyro Ball

It wasn't Pyro Ball it was Ember. It was just done this way as likely a prelude to Pyro Ball (as a Cinderace) or to make note that the Pokemon line is about kicking things, and thus breathing fire wouldn't have made sense, ember doesn't require you to breath fire anyway. Unless there's some weird subtle context that says "Hinoko/Sparks" must refer to fire breathing.

I don't think that Go deserves the cold shoulder after coming through for Scorbunny (it is not as if the fight lasted more than a few hours), but emo Pokemon will be emo. I'm interested to see Go interact with Cubone and some other Pokemon for now.

The reason why Scorbunny didn't even know Ember was most likely the fact that it had lived for so long pretending to be like Nickit.

There were two different (albeit related) problems introduced at the start of this episode: Scorbunny's inability to learn a Fire-type move and Gou's reluctance/lack of interest towards training his Pokemon. Both of these issues were only solved by the end of this episode, albeit not completely. Also, if by "solved" you mean "being able to spit out an extremely tiny speck of flames", then I think your standards for what qualifies as a "Fire-type move" is a bit too low. Plus, while the I do agree that TR got a bit too much unnecessary screentime (they could've easily merged the two TR encounters into one, IMO), their presence in this episode definitely feel deserved and justified. Not only did we get a sneak peek at their new base, but we also get to see Chewtle in action.
Pokemon have occasionally been shown to learn new moves through unorthodox methods in the anime (eg. Pikachu learning Volt Tackle by upgrading its Quick Attack, Rowlet using an Everstone to use Seed Bomb), so this isn't really that weird. The way the anime portrayed Scorbunny/Raboot learning and using its mini-Pyro-Ball attack makes it seem plausible, so I think it's fine even if they can't actually legally learn the move in the games. Scorbunny and Raboot are both capable of producing flames from their feet just like their final evolution form, so it's not too far-fectched to think that they're capable of using a less-powerful version of their final evolution's signature move.

I don't think that Go deserves the cold shoulder after coming through for Scorbunny (it is not as if the fight lasted more than a few hours),
Well, he has never cared for Scorbunny's motivation, and has been dismissive of it throughout the series whenever it wanted to battle. His trainer refusing to help was simply the last straw for the thing. Scorbunny didn’t deserve that.

Go needs to learn to work with his Pokémon and be more receptive to their desires, and given Go's penchant to forget a lesson within a single episode (see; throwing multiple Pokeballs till you run out of them doesn’t always work), a more pressing conflict is needed. If Raboot was perfectly fine by the end of the episode, then it’d just be an example of how easy Go has it and how his flaws don’t matter (which is not good writing).

If it has been a random CotD instead of Go they’d have been criticised twice as much for neglecting their Pokémon, but things are fine since it’s Go.

I wonder if they’ll have Go become even more callous and ignore Raboot in favour of other Pokémon instead of working out the conflict. Hopefully it’s the latter.

Pokemon have occasionally been shown to learn new moves through unorthodox methods in the anime (eg. Pikachu learning Volt Tackle by upgrading its Quick Attack, Rowlet using an Everstone to use Seed Bomb), so this isn't really that weird. The way the anime portrayed Scorbunny/Raboot learning and using its mini-Pyro-Ball attack makes it seem plausible, so I think it's fine even if they can't actually legally learn the move in the games. Scorbunny and Raboot are both capable of producing flames from their feet just like their final evolution form, so it's not too far-fectched to think that they're capable of using a less-powerful version of their final evolution's signature move.
It's just their own version of Ember, which I see becoming Pyro Ball once it fully evolves.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom