• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN065: Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be more happy if they were both in the Hyper League. This just feels soo lackluster that they're facing each other soo early. I mean Iris is A FREAKING CHAMPION. A fight with her should take place in the Hyper League in front of a huge audience and it should be a 2 parter at the very least.

Dang it guys, you had a golden opportunity right in front of you and you squandered it.
The Gym feels more appropriate for Iris IMO.

Okay, now that Iris is apparently Champion she better have evolved Axew into at least the Fraxure stage because the alternative is that Axew got Iris through Unova's Elite Four via the typical Deus Ex Machinas he tended to pull to get himself out of trouble and frankly, an offscreen evolution is far less contrived.

Kind of feels funny that Iris had to climb the ranks of the PWC as a Champion, presumably. If that’s the case, that she was the Champion when she was in the Normal Class, it’s quite funny imagining Iris completely destroying people who randomly challenged her.

(Would have thought Champions were given access to have a slot in the Hyper Class upon their regristration. Imagining having the chance to battle a E4, Battle Frontier Brain, etc. for free, and multiple people can do it...
Yes Paul got to fight Cynthia and Brandon for free, but he’s an important character. Random people can fight the most powerful, apparently...unless they declined challenges, but they have to fight someone to rise the ranks)

•Iris is packing a potential Ononokus and her signature cool Angry-Nite along with another fav, Numelgon, along with appearances by Emonga/Fukamaru. Hopefully we get Doryuzu.

•She’s the frakin’ Champion

•New clothes and attire along with sick animation cuts.

•She used her Dragon empathy and is showcasing character change and development.

•Aoi Yuuki <3

Champion Iris—-I kneel. Nice vindication for years of her mistreatment from some of the more vocal fanbase members and how she’s “hated” and “unpopular.” She’s getting her dues finally.

Last edited:
Kind of feels funny that Iris had to climb the ranks of the PWC as a Champion, presumably. If that’s the case, that she was the Champion when she was in the Normal Class, it’s quite funny imagining Iris completely destroying people who randomly challenged her.

(Would have thought Champions were given access to have a slot in the Hyper Class upon their regristration. Imagining having the chance to battle a E4, Battle Frontier Brain, etc. for free, and multiple people can do it...
Yes Paul got to fight Cynthia and Brandon for free, but he’s an important character. Random people can fight the most powerful, apparently...unless they declined challenges, but they have to fight someone to rise the ranks)
Reminds me of the Duel Carnival in Yugioh Zexal where you similarly had Champions on equal footing with complete amateurs on the first day of the tournament and in order to speed through the Preliminaries, Quattro just decides to screw it and takes on multiple people on at the same time because he's just that good.

If my memory serves, Raihan was said to have climbed the Ranks incredibly quickly which suggests to me he might have had a similar idea or at the very least may have gone giant hunting in which he specifically targeted the highest ranked people in the same Class in order to leapfrog as many ranks as possible. :unsure:

Silver ling to Iris being a champion is that her big title will make a huge jobber. Ash got this one. Her getting that title is her win which will make it "fair" for her to get a loss. Ash beat Misty but Kiawe lost to Brock. Same principle of evenness will apply here.

I wonder if Alder will be brought up at all.
Seeing how this series handles continuity and past characters, it's very unlikely.
It'd be a miracle if they actually mention him, Shaga on the other hand......

I still wonder how Iris beat the League, Elite Four and Adeku.....
That's the part that interests me the most.

Okay, now that Iris is apparently Champion she better have evolved Axew into at least the Fraxure stage because the alternative is that Axew got Iris through Unova's Elite Four via the typical Deus Ex Machinas he tended to pull to get himself out of trouble and frankly, an offscreen evolution is far less contrived.

As bad as it would be, Iris going through the Unova Elite Four with Axew's Deus Ex Machina moves would be way more fitting with her battling in BW than for Axew to suddenly evolve off screen. If the Goodra belongs to her, I wouldn't be shocked if she caught it fully evolved like with Dragonite considering her Gible still seems to have not evolved either.

Champion Iris—-I kneel. Nice vindication for years of her mistreatment from some of the more vocal fanbase members and how she’s “hated” and “unpopular.” She’s getting her dues finally.

I'm not sure if it's vindication exactly. If people still hated Iris before this, I don't think that being the Champion is going to make those fans happier. I can understand why her fans would be thrilled with this news, but I don't see it as vindication. Considering that she'll most likely lose to make Ash look good now that they've revealed that she's a Champion, I don't know how she's really getting her dues either.

As for making the battle one episode long, I'm not really bothered by it. Ideally, these PWC should be longer, especially when we'll get to the Hyper Class proper, but with the match most likely being just another two-on-two battle, they can probably fit in a good battle within one episode. The notion of Ash battling and possibly defeating a Champion does sound like it would work for a big stadium, but since I kind of hate the idea of Iris being the Champion the more I think about it, I'm kind of okay with having it in a Gym instead. If it felt like a more natural progression for Iris' character in the anime or didn't feel like a desperate attempt to match with the games, then maybe I'd be okay with this decision. I don't know if they want to have Ash defeat Iris as a Champion in order to make him defeating Elite Four trainers and Champions, assuming he does get to the Master class proper, more believable.

I'm not sure if it's vindication exactly. If people still hated Iris before this, I don't think that being the Champion is going to make those fans happier. I can understand why her fans would be thrilled with this news, but I don't see it as vindication. Considering that she'll most likely lose to make Ash look good now that they've revealed that she's a Champion, I don't know how she's really getting her dues either.
Every character in this show loses to Ash. It’s just the plot of the series and him being the main character.

Lose or not I get to see my fav again, she’s gets an upgrade, new team members, cool moments and actions and that’s enough for me but her being the Champion is the cherry on top whether it makes her critics happy or unhappier :)

I just think going from not even interested in the Gym challenge to full-on Champion all offscreen is too massive of a leap. Not to mention getting a (second) fully-evolved pseudo-legendary that is yet another duplicate of one Ash owns and on top of that, her Axew could have fully evolved. It’s just way too much happening offscreen for her.
I didn’t even care for May suddenly having Venusaur, much less all of this. I hope one day they cover her adventures in something like a reboot of Chronicles because I doubt they could explain all of this in one episode in way that’s satisfying.

Every character in this show loses to Ash. It’s just the plot of the series and him being the main character.

That's not quite accurate. Ash loses plenty of time and doesn't get a rematch to win at least a good chuck of the time too. I understand what you're saying about how he's the main character, so there's usually a good chance for him to win by that virtue alone, but saying that every character in the show loses to Ash is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least.

Sweet Veil said:
Lose or not I get to see my fav again, she’s gets an upgrade, new team members, cool moments and actions and that’s enough for me but her being the Champion is the cherry on top whether it makes her critics happy or unhappier :)

That's perfectly understandable. As I've said before, if I liked Iris, I would be happy about this development too. As much as the decision frustrates me, I am happy for Iris fans too. I don't think it's good to talk down to fans who dislike her though.

I do have to say that I'm not thrilled about Iris owning a Goodra either. Not just because it's yet another pseudo-legendary Dragon-type that Ash also owns: with the sole exception of Axew, literally every Dragon-type that Iris has is also one that Ash has, which kinda makes it feel like Iris is copying Ash a little too much in a way, but also because she could have had literally anything else. I get that Gen 5's selection of Dragon-types was severely limited, but that rule stopped applying the second B2W2 came out, and there's plenty of Dragon-type options for Iris to have that Ash doesn't own such as Altaria, Flygon (which imo would be a better alternative to Gible if only because Iris having that also makes her feel like a Cynthia copycat alongside the whole copying Ash. Also, yes, I know that Goh has a Flygon but his goal is to catch every Pokemon in the world anyway, so I don't feel like that should count. Besides, when's the last time that Goh's Flygon has been relevant to anything?), Salamence, Kommo-o, Drampa, Kingdra, Dragalgae, Hydreigon and Druddigon (two Pokemon from her native region that her game counterpart owns btw), and so on. In short, there was absolutely no need to make Iris's Dragon-type selection so near-identical to Ash's, so it's a bit frustrating that it was done anyway.

Last edited:
There are some aspects of Journeys that feel like they want to be more faithful to the games, particularly details like Pokemon being registered to Pokedex and some Pokemon's personalities matching with their Pokedex entries such as Raboot, Sobble and Drizzle.
I'm a bit surprised Gary didn't get promoted to champion as well.

Considering that she'll most likely lose to make Ash look good now that they've revealed that she's a Champion, I don't know how she's really getting her dues either.
You know I'm actually wondering if they'll have Iris win. I can see them wanting to put Ash into the next rank before going into Project Mew, but I also have this feeling they may not want Ash beating a champion at this point. I suppose we'll see in a handful of days.

The notion of Ash battling and possibly defeating a Champion does sound like it would work for a big stadium, but since I kind of hate the idea of Iris being the Champion the more I think about it, I'm kind of okay with having it in a Gym instead.
I imagine that the writers are well aware that few would see Ash defeating a former travelling companion as a big deal, even if she became a champion off-screen, so they see no need to make it into a massive event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom