• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Classic (Battle Spot Competition!)

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
CZ4D2FIWQAAC3WF.jpg:large

Region: International
Registration Period: February 24th 2016 - March 4th 2016
Battle Period: March 4th 2016 - March 6th 2016
Battle Type: Single Battle - All 6 Pokémon
Battle Limits: 10 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: Kanto Pokédex.
Item Restrictions: No items.
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew
Entry Gift: Lance's Dragonite

So this is a pretty interesting competition! It's Kanto Dex only (no Mewtwo/Mew), 6vs6 with no items. The prize is also Lance's Dragonite from Gen I, which knows Barrier! Sadly doesn't have Multiscale.

In terms of Pokemon, no items means no Megas and no Eviolite!

So here's every fully evolved available Pokemon to use in the competition:

Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Butterfree
Beedrill
Pidgeot
Raticate
Fearow
Arbok
Raichu
Sandslash
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Ninetales
Clefable
Wigglytuff
Golbat
Vileplume
Parasect
Venomoth
Dugtrio
Persian
Golduck
Primeape
Arcanine
Poliwrath
Alakazam
Machamp
Victreebel
Tentacruel
Golem
Rapidash
Slowbro
Magneton
Farfetch'd
Dodrio
Dewgong
Muk
Cloyster
Gengar
Onix
Hypno
Kingler
Electrode
Exeggutor
Marowak
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Lickitung
Weezing
Rhydon
Chansey
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Seadra
Seaking
Starmie
Mr Mime
Scyther
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros
Gyarados
Lapras
Ditto
Vaporeon
Flareon
Jolteon
Porygon
Omastar
Kabutops
Aerdactyl
Snorlax
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Dragonite

Some things to maybe note:
  • Sun seems pretty powerful, with no other auto weather setters to stop Ninetales. Chlorophyll Venusaur/Victreebel are available and also Solar Power Charizard if that interests anyone.
  • No Dark types available and only one Steel type (Magneton), which makes Psychic types, especially Alakazam, a lot more annoying.

Some things to maybe note:
  • Sun seems pretty powerful, with no other auto weather setters to stop Ninetales. Chlorophyll Venusaur/Victreebel are available and also Solar Power Charizard if that interests anyone.
  • No Dark types available and only one Steel type (Magneton), which makes Psychic types, especially Alakazam, a lot more annoying.

This looks like a job for Aerodactyl to me...

I'm thinking of entering this competition... Things that intrigue me:

-No items means no focus sashes nor choice scarfs, so speed is going to be big here, as well as sturdy users. Maybe a trick room could catch players off guard, too.
-I'm kind of tempted to play Golduck as a way to shut down the sun.
-Dragonite, Snorlax, and Clefable could potentially become dangerous walls or attackers. In fact, I could see a lot of Outrage Dragonite everywhere, and loads of counters to it.
-Fighting Types have it incredibly rough this competition. :/

This will take some thinking to figure out a worthwhile team.

Yeah Dragonite seems really powerful in this. No other Dragon-types to compete with, only one Steel-type and it isn't very bulky (Magneton) and only Clefable, Wigglytuff and Mr Mime for Fairies. I'm sure a lot of teams will be packing Clefable regardless because it's so good, but the immunity to Dragon will be invaluable here because of Outrage/Draco Meteor. Probably can expect some sort of Iron Tail Dragonite to show up at some point just for Clefable.

Since it's 6vs6 single battles I imagine Stealth Rock will be used a lot anyway, but it'll probably be even wiser to have it with Multiscale Dragonite around.

I just looked through Smogon, and found some other revelations:

-Minimize Clefable and other shenanigans could become rampant. Body Slam is going to be a useful attack to have.
-As a counter for Alakazam and Gengar, players could run Sucker Punch users in their teams. This, however, could influence movesets with Substitute in them.
-Venomoth's Quiver Dance-Baton Pass could be a big threat to sweep teams.
-Gyarados has similar potential to Dragonite for sweeping as well.

I'm really having a tough time choosing a good team so far... I'm thinking of using Dragonite and Snorlax as a starting point, and a Fairy to back them up. But I haven't gotten any farther than that...

While I do intend to particpate in this, I also want to try and use a strategy that I've had my eye on for a while but never had a chance to make it work: Rivalry. The plan is to use Dugtrio to set up some Stealth Rocks, disrupt the opponent's first 'mon, send in Nidoking/queen and either use Attract or some offensive move.:love:

Needless to say, this will probably end in miserable failure, but I don't intend to win with this - I just want to piss people off. :love:

EDIT: ...On second thoughts, after actually testing this strategy, I found that I don't really like it. I guess I'll just have to find some other way to piss people off. :love:

Last edited:
Since this has been out for some time now, has anyone had success with teams? I've put a lot of time in to Pokémon Showdown (with their Kanto Classic feature) and a lot of things ya'll posted here seem to be true. Minimize Clefable has ruined my day several times. I haven't seen as much of Venomoth or Gyarados like I thought I would. However I have seen a lot of Snorlax, Clefable (as mentioned earlier) Aerodactyl, Nidoking/queen, Slowbro, Poliwrath, Zapdos, Articuno and Alakazam. Also have seen a lot of Charizard, Blastoise and Venosaur. As well as Ash Teams, for nostalgic purposes I'm sure.

I'm using;
Nidoking: Modest @ Sheer Force (252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD)
Stealth Rock / Ice Beam / Earth Power / Thunderbolt
-He's my typical lead, depending on who the opponent sends out. My favorite is Aerodactyl, because Nidoking always kills it. I also notice a lot of people using a Physical Nido, so I think I catch more people off guard. I've had Nidoking punch through half a team on poor switch ins.

Arcanine: Adamant @ Intimidate (4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe)
Flare Blitz / Wild Charge / Will-o-Wisp / Extreme Speed
-Usually able to catch water types off guard w/ Wild Charge

Machamp: Adamant @ No Guard (252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def)
Bullet Punch / Dynamic Punch / Stone Edge / Payback
-I have a lot of trouble with Machamp, but he's really there for all of the Snorlax users

Dragonite (of course): Adamant @ Multiscale (4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe)
Extreme Speed / Dragon Claw / Dragon Dance / Earthquake
-It seems everyone has a Dragonite. I went Dragon Claw, bc everyone almost always has a Clefable as well

Cloyster: Adamant @ Skill Link (252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe)
Shell Smash / Icicle Spear / Rock Blast / Explosion
-If you can set up Shell Smash, you can pretty much kill everything the opponent has. I went Explosion over Rapid Spin, bc I notice a lot less people using entry hazards

Alakazam: Timid @ Magic Guard (252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe)
Psychic / Focus Blast / Energy Ball / Shadow Ball
-He's pretty self explanatory

Last edited:
Registration is supposedly open for this according to the official Pokemon twitter, but how does one register? Is it supposed to be done in-game through the Battle Spot? Because my game tells me it can't find any online competitions.

Registration is supposedly open for this according to the official Pokemon twitter, but how does one register? Is it supposed to be done in-game through the Battle Spot? Because my game tells me it can't find any online competitions.
You can register online for all Wifi competitions through the Pokemon Global Link website. Make sure to have your trainer ID and game registered, as well as a Pokemon.com/Pokemon Trainer Club account ready if it's your first time logging in. Good luck! :)

Ahh, found it. For some reason the entire page wasn't loading before. Thanks!

I will participate in an online competition for the first time. I'm no battler, but the Dragonite sparked my interest.

So how has everyone been doing in the competition so far? I'm currently sitting at 5-4 with this team.

Ninetales
Venusaur
Snorlax
Gyarados
Zapdos
Alakazam

I went 7 and 3 last night with my team. I think I would have gone 8 and 2 if three or four people hadn't d/c'ed on me once they realized things weren't going well for them.

I had some pretty crazy battles, though. The first one I had, I started with such great momentum - I knocked out two of theirs before they finally took down my Ninetales with their third. Somehow I lost control of that battle, though, and I still don't know how...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom