• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

On the one hand, I am really hoping for some news. But on the other hand, I really hope that this year will be a gap year so that they can prepare a Switch game for next year. :/

Since Nintendo Direct coming this week, we'll find out what game we'll get, but demanding the game we want, doesn't actually help. IMO, as long as it's the main series, kanto/johto sequel, gen 4 remake, "stars", etc. At least we'll get something, it''s better than a break year.
What about announced GSC will be on EShop too?

WHAT?! We're spending our whole game following Lillie?
Even SM didn't force her on us all the time, and people were angry with that. Imagine the backlash (and I'm not a Lillie hater. I like her design and character, but it is too much to digest).

On the whole, I very much prefer @Silktree's storyline.

Ok but I love Lillie!! :LOL: And I don't mean follow Lillie in the way that Serena/Clemont followed Ash around in the anime. More of like the PC is just doing the usual gym battling thing by themselves except we bump into Lillie the ponkotsu tsundere every now and then until we become friends. The number of encounters would be pretty similar to how often Hau and the PC met in SM. We then find out that she wants to go Johto and follow her there as well, not to be her companion but to do more of our own traveling. I do prefer my other story line though, it's much more exciting to me. :ROFLMAO: The point though is that Lillie is trying to uncover some huge scientific secret that is crucial to some health related issue that concerns her mother and we are the hero that saves the day after getting dragged into the situation <3

What is @Silktree's storyline?

I linked to the storyline posts before, but I'll just quote them:

Silktree said:
I could just say what I think the mascots should be... but some background is needed first, so bear with me. We know that Lusamine and Lillie are going to Kanto so that Bill can help cure the former, but what if he can't? What if the neurotoxins in her body are so fatal that she becomes infectious, resulting in an epidemic? And since the whole thing started with Lusamine fusing with Nihilego, an epidemic should affect both people and Pokemon...

So let's start with my idea for the first version mascot: a new Mewtwo form. What if Fuji created Mewtwo not for the sake of science or power (which wouldn't be consistent with his benevolence), but for the purposes of developing a cure to a previous plague that took the lives of Guyana Pokemon (and maybe even people)? And tragically, Fuji's plan never came into fruition since Mewtwo escaped from Cinnabar? Wouldn't it be heroic justice if many years later, Mewtwo finally fulfilled its purpose, albeit under different circumstances?

The idea is that if Mewtwo is strong enough to survive a virus, then its body should be able to develop an antivirus, manifesting as a new form with healing powers. This sounds simple, but the plot could become complicated for two reasons:

1. Fuji is no longer alive to share his knowledge.
2. Mewtwo's trust needs to be gained.

I can see Lusamine being instrumental in unearthing Fuji's research, and Lillie being the key to communicating with Mewtwo. Moral questions would be raised as to whether or not Fuji was justified in "horrifically" splicing Mewtwo's genes to save others. Do the ends justify the means?
As I explained before, using the same mascot for both versions is a good idea if we're dealing with a 3DS game and a Switch port (in which case the only version differences should involve the systems). But I have quite an elaborate theory in mind regarding a certain mystery from Crystal: the GS Ball. Just what did it contain? The ball started to shake as Kurt was examining it, and even Ilex Forest itself became restless. When the player inserted the ball into the shrine, Celebi descended from the sky, implying that it wasn't already in the ball. So what was? I used to speculate for years that it was an undiscovered legendary, but what if it turned out to be a Celebi from another era or even timeline?

So here is my idea for the solution to the mystery: A corrupted Celebi form. While Mewtwo is a separate species from Mew, it is actually quite comparable to Hoopa Unbound. And since Celebi is Mew's counterpart, a bigger and darker form would be Mewtwo's counterpart. While the new Mewtwo form would be gentle and heroic compared to the violent Mewtwo that we know, the new Celebi form would go in the opposite direction... But why?

There is another interesting fact about the GS Ball distribution: It was unlocked by a feature called the News Machine in the Goldenrod Pokémon Communication Center. There was a nice story to this: A person called Chieko contacted the player through the News Machine. There were three requirements to obtain the GS Ball: First the player had to win against Chieko in a mini-game, but after doing that, Chieko would interrupt the communication by telling the player that they had to collect all 16 badges. Once the player had all badges, they could resume the communication, prompting Chieko to ask them a list of yes/no questions in order to test their "heart as a Pokémon trainer". I had someone translate the questions years ago:

1) Should Pokémon protect and save humans that aren't their trainers? [Yes]
2) If a Pokémon is afraid of a person, is it the person's fault? [Yes]
3) Should a person who loves Pokémon strive for a goal other than being a trainer? [Yes]
4) Is a child a weaker trainer than an adult is? [No]
5) Do you think that the legends from the days of old are all a lie? [No]

If the player answered all five questions correctly, Chieko would recognize them as "a splendid trainer with a strong and pure heart" and tell them they were worthy of the GS Ball. The communication would end, but only upon leaving the center would a nurse approach the player to give them the GS Ball (that part was actually localized, but never used).

The title of Chieko's activity in the News Machine was "a gift that transcends time", obviously in reference to the GS Ball. This implies that the GS Ball came from another time. The future or the past? What about Chieko herself? She curiously described herself as an Apricorn Maker from Azalea Town. With Kurt's granddaughter being called Chie in the Japanese anime, it is safe to say that Game Freak gave her that name, and intended for Chieko to be her adult counterpart. Just what exactly did they have in mind for the backstory, though? And what could the GS Ball have to do with my plague idea?

Imagine that in some timeline (the one of the GB/GBC games) the plague was never stopped and practically every Pokémon died out. With one notable exception: Celebi was able to survive since it was able to "skip" the plague by going through time. At first glance you might call it lucky, but it basically subjected itself to living in a world where it was completely alone, and people eventually forgot about Pokémon. That loneliness turned it confused, angry and desperate to alter time. In other words, it became completely different than before. I will now refer to it as Neo Celebi.

My idea for the games is that while Mewtwo would stop the plague in Kanto, in a mirror universe (the world of the original games) the plague did happen. Neo Celebi is the result of the failed timeline, where Chieko sealed it in the GS Ball and sent it to the past in order to give her world a future, perhaps with a new beginning for Pokémon. However, that action ended up creating a chain of events that evenually led to Neo Celebi not only being released, but also finding a way to the "better" timeline of the new games.

Due to its heart having grown darker throughout eons inside the GS Ball, Neo Celebi would firmly reject Mewtwo as a solution to the plague and opt for a primitive solution: killing off the initial hosts of the plague - humans. The Johto segment of the sequels would be about stopping Neo Celebi. For that, Chieko would be a pivotal character - both in her new incarnation and the Faller version from the original timeline. The latter would take responsibility for her part in making Neo Celebi suffer, and would work with the second Chieko to find an alternative solution to the GS Ball.

Note how intriguing Chieko's first question is. When have the games ever made a point that Pokemon are supposed to protect/save people? It ties into my theory quite well. Basically, Chieko may be saying that what Neo Celebi is trying to do - saving Pokemon at the expense of people - is wrong. People are not to blame for the plague, and cooperation is the key to stopping it.

This theory could also have interesting repercussion for the GBA/DS universe Faller Anabel comes from, but I'll leave that for another post.
As you can tell, Lillie and Lusamine play important roles, but the real highlight is another character that ties into a seldom known Crystal event. I also have ideas regarding another mysterious character...

Actually, no. After Generations, I'd like to see Eusine return as a character that understands Suicune rather than chasing after it.

...But he isn't mysterious. I was referring to Chieko and another character I'll explain later.

Last edited:
That depends on how good the moves are. And what if this time around, using the moves also changed the starters' abilities for the duration of the battle? Much like Primal Reversion wasn't exactly the same as Mega Evolution.

Here's an idea for Meganium: Floral Remedy - The user restores 30%-50% of each party member's HP. Requires Synthesis.

And if the move also changed Meganium's ability, Flower Veil would be good enough.

Folks, Mega Evolution isn't all sunshine and roses. A Mega Evolution has to be really good compared to the other 48 we already have in order to make a dent in the competitive scene.

At least with Z-moves the competition isn't nearly as stiff. Also, a lot of people don't like the Mega designs.

Belly Drum Azumarill and Conversion Porygon-Z are BL, at least.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Johto starters avoided that curse? It all depends on how good the moves are, and whether or not ability changes will be added.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Johto starters avoided that curse? It all depends on how good the moves are, and whether or not ability changes will be added.

The only way I can see a Johto starter cause some buzz is if they somehow made an Eruption from Typhlosion to always have 150BP. This is the only johto starter I use competitively, so I can only speak for it.

They might make it so that the Z-transformation permanently changes the moves (for the duration of the battle) in their case.

But say Typhlosion's Z-Eruption had 200 power regardless of HP. You could use Eruption on the first turn, then Z-Eruption, and after that you'd still get an ability like Drought, what you proposed or even just a self-activated Flash Fire.

Sounds potent to me.

I can't bring myself to support the Z-form idea, because at that point you might as well go for the Mega Evolution approach. It's a mishmash of ideas.

Their designs are fine as-is, as are their types.

I think any secondary type to typhlosion will be more of a liablity to it, adding more weakness.

My wildest dreams involve a typhlosion with Fire/Water type with steam motif.

I think any secondary type to typhlosion will be more of a liablity to it, adding more weakness.

My wildest dreams involve a typhlosion with Fire/Water type with steam motif.
So basically like Volcanion? Also I agree with Silk about them using Z moves over Megas since they along with regional forms are this gens main shtick

As far as Feraligar is concerned... To be honest, making it better than it already is with Sheer Force and Life Orb doesn't seem likely. Which is perfectly fine, considering that it is already in the same tier (UU) as Mega Blastoise and Mega Swampert.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom