• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

He's fully aware of 'GO', and I'm currently in the process of introducing him to the newer Pokémon.

The mascots imo should be (most optimal to least optimal order)
1. Any combination of Starters/Mega Starters (to give the aura of a sequel, and that sweet nostalgia for the target audience)
2. Mew and Celebi
3. Mewtwo (regular) and Neo-Celebi
4. MewtwoFormNo.3 and Neo-Celebi.

Yeah, whatever. The mascots will be whatever they want and it doesn't really matter as long as all the starters and legendaries get focus.

Morningstar said:
The Birds, the Crown Beasts and Mewtwo would also be catch-able, along with the Legendaries found in HGSS, part of this is because I think there are too much legendaries for them to just be stuffed on the games of tail end of a generation without something convoluted to explain them (and thus I expect the other games of whatever generation to have the Lake Guardians, Cresellia, The Golems, Deoxys and the Legendaries from gen 5 onwards.
Crown beasts, seriously? That term is used for the shiny beasts from the Zoroark movie.

If USUM excluded the Kanto/Johto legendaries but brought back a slew of others from subsequent regions, that would be a very good sign.

Last edited:
And I knew you would fall for that.

Um... I was joking :D While I like Mew a lot more than Mewtwo, IDK if Mew is actually more popular and IDT there's anyway we can prove this either way.

Having said all that, I am not against using Mew and Celebi as mascots, but I think it's silly to consider that likely.

And some imaginary new form is more likely? If it's going to be East vs West, the most likely would be Mew and Celebi. They're the only ones left who can represent their respective games and also pretty much on par with each other.

Lol, it is not imaginary when the dark undertones were already established in the fourth movie and GS Ball event from Crystal. It would hardly feel jarring.

The point is that if they don't want to change Mew and Celebi's rarity, Mewtwo and an opposite Celebi form make more sense. Hell, they make more sense from a design perspective: The only cutesy version mascot to date is Pikachu.

But this discussion got old a long time ago.

Last edited:
And I'm a big Mew fan. I'm just being realistic instead of relying on anti-Mewtwo bias and strawman Mega arguments.

My idea for Celebi is basically to give it a dark, bigger version as Mewtwo is to Mew. How would Mewthree work?
1. I said a Celebi form that would be separate from the regular Celebi (much like regional variants are separate). Its design would be bigger and more vicious, much like Mewtwo's.

2. Yes, the storyline would focus on them: I've already discussed one (admittedly elaborate) way it could work with Mewtwo as a redeemed protagonist and "Neo" Celebi as a villain. Anyway, what's the problem even if it's something different? I think you're forgetting that Ho-Oh and Lugia's connection is not an obvious one at all.

What if instead of a Celebi form, Team Rocket (or whatever the team in "West/East" is) tries to make a clone of Celebi like with Mew/Mewtwo? Though that'd only happen if they're not afraid of introducing new species in the middle of a Gen or if it's Gen 8 (which I doubt as I can't see a new group of starters, and they're not going to replace the Kanto/Johto starters).

I do like the idea, and it'd make more sense instead of the 2/6 of the starters, Ho-Oh/Lugia, and Mew/Celebi.

They've been paired together before and they can be paired with each other again. And throw in Jirachi into the game as well since I'm still lowkey mad that we got Deoxys and not Jirachi

Aside from being one of the first few Mythicals, since when they were officially paired together?

As for Jirachi, I see it more as they're trying to lower it down to one event-only Pokemon in the past regions/regions that aren't relevant anymore. It'd help if they're going to pull last year's thing again in the future.

A Celebi clone would be derivative. A Celebi turned dark either by some action done to it, or due to its own state of mind as a result of some tragedy, would be much more original. And yes, that would solve the separate Pokedex number problem.

Again, the fourth movie had Celebi turn dark by being captured. I think there are better scenarios out there, though.

What if they included both sets of starters for each version's boxart? Like they included all three of each region in a triangle on each cover.

Possible, I suppose. It would certainly be better than picking Charizard and another one.

Speaking of the Johto starters, since I don't them getting Megas, I think that the best thing for them (even if Megas were an option) is new secondary abilities exclusive to them. When trading/battling with 3DS players, those abilities would automatically be switched to the standard ones (Ability Capsule is already a thing).

Meganium: "In battle, this Pokémon gives off more of its becalming scent to blunt the foe's fighting spirit."
-> Soothing Scent=The opposing Pokemon does not attack during its first turn against Meganium.

Typhlosion: "If its rage peaks, it becomes so hot that anything that touches it will instantly go up in flames."
-> Enraged Flames=If Typhlosion is hit by a contact move, the enemy is automatically burned. Its attack is lowered right before the hit.

Feraligatr: "Although it has a massive body, its powerful hind legs enable it to move quickly, even on the ground."
-> Agile Legs=Feraligatr's Speed is doubled by 1.5 (automatic Speed Boost, which only occurs once).

Last edited:
I'd be happier with Megas, tbh. Megas aren't the best thing ever, but I would like them to get equal treatment.

Those abilities could make them at least as good as the Kanto Megas, especially if you account for not taking up the Mega slot or held item. Look at how Speed Boost Blaziken doesn't even need a Mega to get banned from OU.

Even if Megas came back, the Johto starters have fairly simple designs (simpler than Kanto's) that could... get messy. Just look at the awful fanart. Well, to be fair these two could work with some tweaks, and this one isn't that bad. But just the name "Mega Meganium" is headache inducing.

Last edited:
Iwane posted this lovely fanart on Twitter .
I would love to see Mewtwo being treated as an actual character rather than a last minute prize for the player

Attachments

• large[1].jpg
    large[1].jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 44
Oh, I saw that. I had no idea it came from Iwane. So he just retweeted it.

Nice touch anyway.

Last edited:
Meganium: "In battle, this Pokémon gives off more of its becalming scent to blunt the foe's fighting spirit."
-> Soothing Scent=The opposing Pokemon does not attack during its first turn against Meganium.

Typhlosion: "If its rage peaks, it becomes so hot that anything that touches it will instantly go up in flames."
-> Enraged Flames=If Typhlosion is hit by a contact move, the enemy is automatically burned (Flame Body with a 100% rate).

Feraligatr: "Although it has a massive body, its powerful hind legs enable it to move quickly, even on the ground."
-> Agile Legs=Feraligatr's Speed is doubled by 1.5 (automatic Speed Boost, which only occurs once).

How about Z moves that give them this effect for the rest of the battle?

That was my initial idea, but then I realized that there is no reason to waste a move and an item if you want to give a Pokemon a new ability... Plus, will there be new Z-moves after USUM?

And while Typhlosion has a decent hidden ability and Feraligatr has a fairly good one, Meganium's Leaf Guard is bad.

Last edited:
The Johto starters won't become better with only abilities. Typhlosion's special coverage is bad, to say the least. It should get atleast thunderbolt (static electricity) and Earth Power. Add in scald as a bonus (dosen't Emboar get it?)

Of course, their movepools need to be updated (although not really for Feraligatr). But Thunderbolt sounds like a stretch.

Typhlosion: Earth Power, Energy Ball, Scald, Nasty Plot

Feraligatr: Play Rough, Gunk Shot, Close Combat

Meganium: Sleep Powder, Healing Wish, Strength Sap, Dragon Dance, Play Rough

Last edited:
Maybe. Scald does make sense, so I added it to the list. Energy Ball could be replaced with Thunderbolt.

Meganium needs more help than the others, and boy, I think it could be golden with such an ability. Just a free turn to use Sleep Power or Dragon Dance would be a big deal, so perhaps both would be overkill.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom