• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto/Johto Sequels

I just want a Kanto Sequel with new megas and new regional variants (preferably before a whole new region gets introduced cause otherwise this will never happen again) and then I wouldn't care less if they drop megas and regional variants forever.

I really don't care what happens to him after Episode RR, tbh. I find him really uninteresting and generic for a villain whenever there's no surprise Gym Leader position to hold. Ghetsis is the one I'm more interested in exploring, he completely overshadowed Giovanni by virtue of his intent to use the RR Boss as a puppet.

Believe me, you know GF wouldn't give two fucks about the Rocket Boss if he weren't from Gen I.

Since USUM Giovanni is headed to a world that isn't his own, that should mean that another Giovanni is already there. I hope that the second Giovanni is dramatically different in that he's actually given up on Team Rocket. It would be nice if the multiverse angle actually served a purpose for the first time in the series.

And not to turn this into a silly "best villain" competition, but there isn't really anything left to do with Ghetsis. B2W2 had N confront him and USUM had Colress do the same. In contrast, Silver has never actively opposed his father.

I've been under the impression that USUM Giovanni is the same Giovanni from the original RBGY games, that USUM takes place 20-some years after the original games. I'm probably wrong though, this whole Mega-verse thing has gotten me so confused since it was introduced in Gen 6.

I've said this a few times in other threads, but i have a strong feeling RR Giovanni is going to show up in the Switch game, regardless of which region the game takes place in. It would make more sense in Kanto/Johto sequels though because thats his home turf, and he would want to go after that first. If we get Kanto/Johto sequels, I'm hoping that Game Freak takes a different approach to the story formula and actually have you liberate both regions from his rule; you battle through the typical League setup, and then at the end you challenge Giovanni himself, liberate the regions and stop him from spreading his conquest to other worlds. I would also like you to team up with Looker, Anabel, and possibly Colress since he hinted in RR that the multiverse would be his next goal of studying. Also have a Silver that's aged 20 years like Red and Green Gary were in USUM and have him play a major role as well. Maybe have him confront his father and change his mind like how Eldes did with his father Greevil in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

Just saying, but Red and Blue don't seem as old as 30 in Alola. I'd say that it's been about 12 years since the original games (3+5+2+2), making them 23. In a hypothetical return to Kanto, you could add another 2-3 years.

We basically don't know anything about USUM Giovanni:

1. Is he from USUM or another world? He was familiar with Aether's technology and had a Mega Mewtwo. On the other hand, the castle was from another world.

2. In either case, was he defeated by Red? He did consider the battle with the player nostalgic, whereas the other villains said no such thing (Lysandre said the opposite).

3. If he was defeated, how did he end up restoring his organization and with a Mega Mewtwo to boot?

4. What kind of world is he looking for? Has he accepted that there is always going to be some kid to ruin his plans? Is he going to be smarter for once?

Just saying, but Red and Blue don't seem as old as 30 in Alola. I'd say that it's been about 12 years since the original games (3+5+2+2), making them 23. In a hypothetical return to Kanto, you could add another 2-3 years.

We basically don't know anything about USUM Giovanni:

1. Is he from USUM or another world? He was familiar with Aether's technology and had a Mega Mewtwo. On the other hand, the castle was from another world.

2. In either case, was he defeated by Red? He did consider the battle with the player nostalgic, whereas the other villains said no such thing (Lysandre said the opposite).

3. If he was defeated, how did he end up restoring his organization and with a Mega Mewtwo to boot?

4. What kind of world is he looking for? Has he accepted that there is always going to be some kid to ruin his plans? Is he going to be smarter for once?

You would be surprised; there's a lot of people IRL of all ethnicities who are 30 years old but don't look a day over 20, depending on their overall health. I would assume Red and Blue don't smoke or other unhealthy things, so it's entirely possible that they look younger than their actual age. Since Gen 7 has been pushed as 20th anniversary games and that Game Freak has deliberately aged Red and Blue, I assumed the general consensus was that they would really be 20 years older than they were in the original Kanto games.

It's possible, but I haven't noticed any consensus about that. For some stupid reason, the length of the HGSS-BW gap is still a secret.

Speaking of which, Giovanni doesn't look a day older than his FRLG self. That supports the theory that he is not from the USUM world.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, Giovanni doesn't look a day older than his FRLG self. That supports the theory that he is not from the USUM world.

That's very true; Red and Blue age, but yet Giovanni doesn't. Although Red and Blue's might be a little more obvious than an adult getting older, a good example to look at is Grimsley. He definitely looks older in Gen 7 than he did in Gen 5.

I think the biggest hint though is that he came through an Ultra Wormhole. If he was from the USUM universe, there would be no need to arrive at Aether Paradise through a wormhole when he could've just flown to Alola from Kanto like the player and their mom. Another good question to ask is how is he able to travel through wormholes? We don't outright see an Ultra Beast in his possession.

Back on topic, I wonder how many brand-new Pokemon could be added to Kanto if it turns out to be the upcoming Switch game. They may want to add some other 'mons from other past regions, and I've noticed the amount of brand-new Pokemon has been getting smaller the past couple Gens.

There was some wormhole explanation involving Necrozma's light reacting to evil ambition. Or something silly like that. It really begs the question what the castle was originally for. Unlike the others, Giovanni knew what was going on.

One of the rumors mentions 30 new Pokemon for a Kanto reimagining. 40-50 would be my preference.

My personal opinion is that having two consecutive reboots, both featuring the Johto legendaries is very likely a build up for a Kanto/Johto Sequel.

With certain people on other sites hinting that the next game might not be Generation 8, the confusion/uncertainty from the Chinese side about which generation the next game would fall into, the stuff the people from Game Informer noted after their visit to Game Freak (Masuda looking shifty when asked about Kanto, and an overall feeling the next games would be a revisit), the movies focusing on Kanto/Johto the past two years, I think revisit to Kanto+Johto could be likely for the first Switch game.

One big map rather than the way it was split in Gen 2/HGSS, a decent bunch of new Pokemon (USUM just added some, so why not), overhaul of the region's locations and biomes to make the region more interesting and diverse, maybe even expand it in a few places to add some new locations and towns/cities, maybe even some new regional variants.

The one thing I'm not sure about is new starters or not. I don't know if they would add new starters in an old region, especially when said old region is the one with the most iconic starters. They could do something like XY, new starters at the beginning but also get the older ones a bit into the game, but I don't know if they would. But old region + new starters + new Pokemon feels like it would maybe be the reason why the Chinese side are saying reboot and seemingly a bit unsure how the game would fit generation-wise.

Also another fanwish I've seen suggested a few times over the years is Kanto+Johto in one game, but you start in Kanto in one game and Johto in the other, kinda like how Fire Emblem Fates had the two different sides. Seems unlikely, but it could be cool just for something different.

If it were up to me, the secondary starters would use a different type triangle like Flying/Fighting/Rock or Fairy/Fighting/Dark. Especially if the Johto starters are around, which they damn well should be.

I think it would be poor taste to exclude Johto in the same year as a Lugia-centric movie that features predominantly Johto critters. Not to mention GSC being recently re-released and rekindling the Johto love.

Granted, it's a question of how long Game Freak have been working on these games (if they exist), but I hope they've thought it through instead of opting for the easy path.

I could see the opposite happening- The player character first choosing from Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle (and Pikachu?) and then getting a new Pokemon.

Yes I like this better. Maybe the new Pokemon could be like an engineered trio ala mew-two. That would be cool.

If it’s Kanto-only, then I can see gamefreak keeping Johto starters postgame-only due to sheer favouritism, which is a pity.

There's no way that it'll be Kanto only imo.

I just want a Kanto Sequel with new megas and new regional variants (preferably before a whole new region gets introduced cause otherwise this will never happen again) and then I wouldn't care less if they drop megas and regional variants forever.
If regional variants are still around if the alleged LGPE is real these are some ideas I have for regional variants. I decided to go with Pokemon from gens 3-7 since Kanto and Johto are right next door to each other and the Pokemon already native to that region probably wouldn't change all that much anyway.

For the Kanto Variants:

Corphish and Crawdaunt (Water/Electric): When Corphish were introduced to the region they settled around the power plant. They adapted to the electrical energy emitted by the plant, thus turning them into electric types. Not to mention their new typing has made it easier for them to hunt fellow water types.

Zigzagoon and Linoone (Dark): These Pokemon faced stiff competition from Pokemon like the meowth line in the wild, in addition to being preyed upon by the houndour line. With nowhere else to go, Zigzagoon and Linoone retreated towards the urban areas of Kanto and began forming gangs to steal food from people and domestic Pokemon, thus leading them to becoming dark types. They also have a fierce rivalry with Murkrow and Honchkrow.

Chingling and Chimeco (Psychic/Dark): Chingling and Chimeco were brought to Lavender town by immigrants from Kanto. But once they got there, they were placed in immense danger thanks to the Ghost types in the area. As a result, the Pokemon had to become more aggressive in order to fight of the Ghosts. As a result, they gained the Dark type.

Lumineon (Water/Ghost): The spiritual energy from the waters around Lavender town caused Lumineon to have a hauntingly gorgeous new form. This ghastly white Pokemon uses it's scales to emit an irresistible glow to draw in prey.

Cottonee and Whimsicott (Fire/Fairy): They rode the winds and landed in Cinnibar after the disaster that destroyed the town. These Pokemon adapted to the volcanic environment and shed their grass type for the fire type. Unlike their mischievous Unovan counterparts, these Pokemon are pretty friendly and are a huge help to the people trying to rebuild Cinnabar.

Petlil and Lilligant (Grass/Fire): like the cotonee line, they adapted to Cinnabar’s volcanic environment when introduced to the island, gaining the fire type in the process.

Cryogonal (Ice/Fire): When Cryogonal was introduced to the region, they faced competition from Glalie and Frosslass in the Seafoam Islands. They then migrated to Cinnabar, causing them to develop a unique form that looks like a cross between a snowflake and a sun. It's very popular at Pokemon contests.

I'll do the Johto variant ideas later.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom