• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

KONY 2012 (Uganda's Child Soldiers)

Suicide by cop

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
KONY 2012 - YouTube

Watch, share, discuss.

I am personally going to do all I can to help this cause. I'm unsure if I'll be able to participate in the Blanket The Night event, as I'll be in France then. But maybe.

I've already seen it.I signed the pledge, but since I have no job, I can't afford to do much more. I don't know if I can do the Blanket The Night event, I'll most likely forget about it and fall asleep. Though I'm willing to do all I can to put Kony to an end even if I have to make my own signs and banners.

Well I remember my HS World History teacher showing us the main documentary "Invisible Children" years ago and am quite surprised at this major push this year that quickly gained steam in social media.

I was wondering what happened to it.

Still it's good that people are supporting it.

KONY 2012 - YouTube
I'm unsure if I'll be able to participate in the Blanket The Night event, as I'll be in France then. But maybe.

Oh please, if what I was told about the French and their Eiffel Tower is true, then they won't mind some colorful posters being added to it.

(I was told they strongly disliked the Eiffel Tower when it was first built)

I'm gonna see if I can buy the kit and go plastering posters on that Friday night lol

"Might be" and if it anything fishy comes up, like the video itself said, "The peoples' demands will make the government look into it"

For now I'm just supporting its "awareness", as far as my statement about buying the kit, I'm still going to do research to see if it's worthwhile and not a scam as you've pointed out.

I've read through a couple of these anti-KONY 2012 websites, but I still have yet to see any reason why it wouldn't be a good thing for Kony to be killed or captured.

It's good to keep an objective eye before pressing on with support. The eventual goal here is to stumble aimlessly in a jungle to capture one man and smack him with some justice, is that where your money should go? It's rarely these organizations are trustworthy in where the money goes, but at least you'll feel good about yourself.

I've read through a couple of these anti-KONY 2012 websites, but I still have yet to see any reason why it wouldn't be a good thing for Kony to be killed or captured.

Seems to me, the point isn't that it wouldn't be a good thing, but that it would be a useless thing. "Stopping" him for the sake of feeling good about ourselves instead of for actually helping anybody.

Besides, if what those articles say is true and they really are looking into peace, it might even be a bad thing to take out the big man. There's usually someone there to take his place, and revenge might be called for.

It's good to keep an objective eye before pressing on with support. The eventual goal here is to stumble aimlessly in a jungle to capture one man and smack him with some justice, is that where your money should go? It's rarely these organizations are trustworthy in where the money goes, but at least you'll feel good about yourself.

Where my money should go is my own choice. Also, IC is extremely transparent about what they do with their money. A breakdown of all of their expenditures is publicly available.

Seems to me, the point isn't that it wouldn't be a good thing, but that it would be a useless thing. "Stopping" him for the sake of feeling good about ourselves instead of for actually helping anybody.

Besides, if what those articles say is true and they really are looking into peace, it might even be a bad thing to take out the big man. There's usually someone there to take his place, and revenge might be called for.

I think killing a man who captures children to use as soldiers would probably help at least one person. The person who would take his place is his second in command, Vincent Otti. He was the second person on that ICC list that they showed in the film. I would hope that if they are going through the trouble to hunt down Kony, they might as well take this guy out as well.

EDIT: Actually I lied, Vincent Otti is dead.

Cutting off the head has always been a major part of any military strategy. Have you ever played chess? Once the king is mated, it doesn't matter how many other pieces are on the board.

Last edited:
The more I learn about Invisible Children the less I take it seriously. Food for thought: Taking ‘Kony 2012′ Down A Notch | Justice in Conflict

InvisibleChildren

Here they go line by line to each of the criticisms raised for the past 3 days.

Example:
RE: OVERSIMPLIFICATION OF A COMPLEX ISSUE

KONY 2012 portrays, in no uncertain terms, the image of a madman who manipulates children spiritually for his own tactical gains. In our quest to garner wide public support of nuanced policy, Invisible Children has sought to explain the conflict in an easily understandable format, focusing on the core attributes of LRA leadership that infringe upon the most basic of human rights. In a 30-minute film, however, many nuances of the 26-year conflict are admittedly lost or overlooked. The film is a first entry point to this conflict for many, and the organization provides several ways for our supporters to go deeper in learning about the make-up of the LRA and the history of the conflict. Likewise, our work on the ground continually adapts to the changing complexities of the conflict.

So fu*king tired of this getting spammed every fu*king place I go. I went to Wal-Mart and there were (supposedly) Invisible Children employees asking for donations.

Cutting off the head has always been a major part of any military strategy. Have you ever played chess? Once the king is mated, it doesn't matter how many other pieces are on the board.

Of course; I love chess. There's one difference, though, which is what I was saying in my post - in chess, when the king is checkmated, it's game over. There isn't a second king to take its place. But in real life organizations, there's a decent chance there's a second in command. Even if the one we knew about is gone already, who's to say somebody didn't get promoted?

I'm not, by any means, saying that he shouldn't be punished for what he's done. But the manner in which the punishment is delivered should be very carefully thought over. You never know if a right hand man might take his place and turn out to be even worse.

I really, really like this picture the organization used to represent themselves...

3sGRT.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/invisible-children-founders-posing-with-guns-an-interview-with-the-photographer/2012/03/08/gIQASX68yR_blog.html

Time for white guys to save Africa again!

Last edited:
InvisibleChildren

Here they go line by line to each of the criticisms raised for the past 3 days.

Example:
RE: OVERSIMPLIFICATION OF A COMPLEX ISSUE

KONY 2012 portrays, in no uncertain terms, the image of a madman who manipulates children spiritually for his own tactical gains. In our quest to garner wide public support of nuanced policy, Invisible Children has sought to explain the conflict in an easily understandable format, focusing on the core attributes of LRA leadership that infringe upon the most basic of human rights. In a 30-minute film, however, many nuances of the 26-year conflict are admittedly lost or overlooked. The film is a first entry point to this conflict for many, and the organization provides several ways for our supporters to go deeper in learning about the make-up of the LRA and the history of the conflict. Likewise, our work on the ground continually adapts to the changing complexities of the conflict.

Apparently 30 minutes is such a short amount of time that they couldn't mention the fact that the LRA hasn't been active in Uganda since 2005. Likewise, the LRA has shrunken considerably in the last couple years. It also would have helped if they mentioned that the US Africa Command has been involved with the LRA for a while, and there had been an effort to eliminate the LRA in 2008 (which prompted the LRA to mobilize).

The problem here isn't that the video lacks depth. They purposefully omitted information to make Kony appear to be the ultimate threat to central Africa. It also pretends that the LRA has been ignored by the US government, so they can credit themselves with any highly publicized effort. It allows us to ignore many issues, including those unrelated to the LRA, that plague central Africa.

Apparently 30 minutes is such a short amount of time that they couldn't mention the fact that the LRA hasn't been active in Uganda since 2005. Likewise, the LRA has shrunken considerably in the last couple years. It also would have helped if they mentioned that the US Africa Command has been involved with the LRA for a while, and there had been an effort to eliminate the LRA in 2008 (which prompted the LRA to mobilize).

The problem here isn't that the video lacks depth. They purposefully omitted information to make Kony appear to be the ultimate threat to central Africa. It also pretends that the LRA has been ignored by the US government, so they can credit themselves with any highly publicized effort. It allows us to ignore many issues, including those unrelated to the LRA, that plague central Africa.

Oh, they're not in Uganda, they're just terrorizing people in other countries now. That definitely makes it okay -_-

Oh, they're not in Uganda, they're just terrorizing people in other countries now. That definitely makes it okay -_-

My point was that they present the LRA as a very contemporary issue for northern Uganda, which really isn't the case. Uganda is currently in the process of recovering, not fighting the LRA. It also has other very important issues. It's very strange how much they focus, and have focused, on northern Uganda.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom