• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Endgame - Town/Independent Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

Vote: Spectrum Achromatic

If you're going to vote a non-player you might as well not have posted.

Vote: Phoenicks

I know that your vote could have been because Spectrum's behavior. But maybe theres something else, who knows?

@Phoenicks; you just voted someone who was being perfectly harmless.

You post was nothing -- is that my fault? Do you think your post contributed to the thread in a meaningful way? Was I wrong? -- was your post better than not posting at all? Why?

I know that your vote could have been because Spectrum's behavior. But maybe theres something else, who knows?

You could have said "Phoenicks may be scum and I'll vote him on the chance he is," but you dressed it by referring to my vote. You didn't state your opinion on my vote. Why?

Was voting Spectrum Achromatic scummy? (Yes/No) Why?

@Phoenicks; you just voted someone who was being perfectly harmless.

You post was nothing -- is that my fault?
1. Do you think your post contributed to the thread in a meaningful way?
2.Was I wrong? -- was your post better than not posting at all? Why?

1. I was the first person to vote. And because of my post, you voted me, saying that my vote was pointless. It wasn't - because it made YOU vote ME. Thus, I contributed to the thread.
2. I posted something - it's definitely better than NOT posting, which would eventually lead to the number 1 question "Where were you on Day 1 when we were having such an important discussion?" And besides, like I said, my post made YOU vote ME, so it was definitely more than meaningful.

I think I'm clinging onto this. You know, it sure does sound... weird. Let's hope that this doesn't bite we all back days later...

Vote: Froakie :}

Last edited:

vote: spectrum achromatic

Again with the pointless host voting.

What kind of reasoning is this? It's pretty obvious it's because of spectrum's vote. What else would there be? Phoenicks being mafia and being so over-eager he just can't wait to lynch his first innocent as soon as possible? Is that the option you're currently favouring over that he considers spectrum's useless hostvoting she pulls every game to be not contributing anything? Because it's the far less likely option.

I think I'm clinging onto this. You know, it sure does sound... weird. Let's hope that this doesn't bite we all back days later...

So basically you felt like following a bandwagon but couldn't come up with your own crummy reason to do so, so you just piggybacked on neon's crummy reason?

Voting the host is something Spectrum does all the time, so I'm not going to bother voting them right now. But...

Vote: Noivern

I'm not comfortable with how you seem eager to vote Phoenicks because of his reason to vote Spectrum. To me, it sounds more legitimate than Neon's vote.

(I'm on my iPod right now, so I might overlook typos sometimes.)

Voting the host is something Spectrum does all the time, so I'm not going to bother voting them right now. But...

Vote: Noivern I'm not comfortable with how you seem eager to vote Phoenicks because of his reason to vote Spectrum. To me, it sounds more legitimate than Neon's vote.

Hmm, you seem to be right, in a way. Guess I missed that, what with me being out for, what, over a year until now.

Unvote: Phoenicks

Let's hope I can decide to not vote.

I'm calling one thing, mijz is mafia ;)

2. I posted something - it's definitely better than NOT posting, which would eventually lead to the number 1 question "Where were you on Day 1 when we were having such an important discussion?" And besides, like I said, my post made YOU vote ME, so it was definitely more than meaningful.

Actually, it isn't. Let's say that an important discussion is going to form, say, the post after mine. You would not be able to use the excuse 'actually I was here, see look, I posted right after the phase update!' as evidence of yourself being there. A post straight after the phase update contributing nothing, not even contributing your post vote in the middle of the day, is as good as posting nothing. Serves no purpose except for causing a conflict day one with no effect other than confusing the game and honestly, disrupting it from its natural progression. If say, you are lynched and turn out town, the people who voted for you are going to be seen as scummy for voting for you for the sole reason your post had no purpose, which is not a towny thing for you to do which puts unnecessary bad light on your voters, hence disrupting the game even more, hence making it harder for the town to actually get scum reads off anyone.

So no, voting for the host is
a) not better than nothing
b) pointless
c) anti-town
d) not better than nothing

Although for c, I don't think it means you're mafia, hence I am not going to vote for you right now, but it was anti-town as it will do nothing but confuse us.

Last edited:

What kind of reasoning is this? It's pretty obvious it's because of spectrum's vote. What else would there be? Phoenicks being mafia and being so over-eager he just can't wait to lynch his first innocent as soon as possible?

yes

but yes!
-joke voting the host is not pro-town
-questioning the reasoning of someone who makes pointless posts is pro-town
-bandwagoning against them isn't

Basically everything Froakie said! But not pro-town=/=mafia and anyone who has played a game with Spectrum recently will know that she does that every time - doesn't make it any more constructive and less irritating but looking at it as a significant action at this point in the game is just foolish. #day1

I am curious as to why Neon and Noivern chose to jump on this bandwagon so quickly when most players hadn't said anything at all yet and Phoenicks hadn't displayed anything resembling anti-town behavior. :{

How do you know this day one?

My hunch and the fact I didn't actually state that he was mafia? Just that I'm 'calling it' 'cos I think he will turn out to be mafia. I just know these things. :3 Note the italicized 'think'.

How do you know this day one?

My hunch and the fact I didn't actually state that he was mafia? Just that I'm 'calling it' 'cos I think he will turn out to be mafia. I just know these things. :3 Note the italicized 'think'.

Ah, hunches. I've had my run in with trust issues back then, and even now, things can get iffy, especially during Days 0-2.

I thought that there might be people that can already do things before the game truly starts. Who knows, maybe there'll be someone who can actually do something in this phase.

Oh well. Anyway, why do you think that he's the opposing team? That'd be something interesting to hear, at the very least. You don't have to talk if you think you'll put yourself in jeopardy, of course.

vote: spectrum achromatic

What kind of reasoning is this? It's pretty obvious it's because of spectrum's vote. What else would there be? Phoenicks being mafia and being so over-eager he just can't wait to lynch his first innocent as soon as possible? Is that the option you're currently favouring over that he considers spectrum's useless hostvoting she pulls every game to be not contributing anything? Because it's the far less likely option.

One can never ignore possibilities, good mafia players are by essence, unpredictable. That however, still doesn't justify my vote, I have to admit, that vote was mainly an artiffact to generate discussión, and, since it has accompished it's purpose.

Unvote: Phoenicks.

And as for your question @Phoenicks; I really can't see it being scummy or not in such an early stage in the game in which that vote could be confused as a mafia grabbing an opportunity, or just a regular player tired of that antic and wanting real discussion. So, I'll save my judgement for now over the allignment of that vote.

Personally, I try to avoid joke voting for the sake of making someone vote me in order to get a conversation going, because being a townie generally means trying to get people to not vote for a townie.

If you were going to vote someone at random I don't see why you couldn't have just closed your eyes and pointed at the list and voted for an actual player instead of one of the hosts.

I don't think you're necessarily scummy but I think for the sake of the town you should consider not joke voting anymore because we're a team and we need all our teammates to take things seriously to win.

Even though Spectrum's actions were anti-town, I'm not feeling like he's mafia, at least not yet. While his vote was useless and could be viewed as anti-town, it did no harm at all. Spectrum's vote was no more helpful than @Oswin; and @jda95;'s joke votes against other moderators (which was obviously a joke by the smiley faces included with it.) Why is spectrum getting flack for it and not them? Because their random joke votes happened to be on players in the game?

Oswin and Jda95, How about removing those votes and voting someone you actually think is Mafia? That would actually move the game along.

This is what concerns me. It seems that she wants to use that joke vote as an alibi for herself later. Why do you feel the need to do that Spectrum? Are you afraid you won't be able to prove yourself as town later on?

Now, I'm also suspicious of @Noivern; who quickly jumped on the Phoenicks bandwagon then quickly retracted his vote again. Why did you vote her in the first place if you were not confident about your suspicion? It makes me think that you voted just to be able to do something on day one to cover yourself during later phases. What do you mean by "Let's hope I can decide to not vote?"

Are you hoping for a no-lynch here?

Vote:Noivern

Adding a little pressure to Noivern, I'd like to hear your thoughts to the questions I outlined in my post.

Last edited:

I'll just squeeze in here. I didn't realise the game had started already. Reading through I see the usual first day rituals. Random, joking votes that are taken too seriously. I don't need to jump to conclusions yet, the phase lasts for ages. I'm gonna bide my time and wait for some actual signs of foul play before I cast my vote.
If you were going to vote someone at random I don't see why you couldn't have just closed your eyes and pointed at the list and voted for an actual player instead of one of the hosts.

I can see why. The fear of starting a bandwagon that you are responsible for is a worry. If the person is innocent and gets lynched. Fingers get pointed when the instigator really just picked a person at random. Voting the host whilst repetitive now, also starts the game on a light note, it's day one after all. There's plenty of time for intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom