• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Magiana revealed by CoroCoro magazine: To appear in 19th movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
we'll know whether Magiana belongs to Gen VI or Gen VII when we hear where most of the 19th film takes place. If it's an existing region, then VI is getting expanded; otherwise, you do the math! ;)
That has no bearing on anything. The setting is almost certainly in Kalos, but the last movie of every generation promotes a new Pokemon from another region (or at least a form in Movie 16's case).

The plot synopsis states that Magiana has been kidnapped to the Azoth Kingdom, so it is easy to see how it may be from another region. A similar thing happened in Movie 13, where Zorua and Zoroark were brought to Sinnoh from Unova.

Fantastic design. Love robots and "man made" Pokémon. I do hope that is a Gen 7 Pokémon and not a sign we are pointlessly getting more Gen 6 mons.

The plot synopsis states that Magiana has been kidnapped to the Azoth Kingdom, so it is easy to see how it may be from another region. A similar thing happened in Movie 13, where Zorua and Zoroark were brought to Sinnoh from Unova.
I don't mean to detract from your argument, but the synopsis states Magiana was kidnapped by the Azoth Kingdom.

I don't mean to detract from your argument, but the synopsis states Magiana was kidnapped by the Azoth Kingdom.
"To" and "by" are basically interchangeable in this case. The point is that Magiana was brought to the kingdom from somewhere else.

Between the look (clockwork with wings) and the name (sounds partly like "magic"), I'm betting that Magiana is a Steel/Fairy dual-type.
To be clear, this is a romanization of the Japanese name. This is the hard 'g' from gear", not the soft 'g' from "magic". If its name were from "magic", it would be romanized as "Majiana".

Doesn't matter what comes next, this is unprecedented:
  • We get another Kalosian installment, with brand-new Pokémon.
  • We get Gen. 7, thereby skipping a third version altogether.
  • We get the reveal of a Gen. 7 Pokémon mid-way through Gen. 6, something we've only ever seen once before.
You're forgetting about Generation I (which had Togepi half-way through, and Ho-Oh at the very start).

It is kind of weird how they're only revealing a new 'mon now if it is indeed from Gen VI, especially since no one seems to have been able to find it in the original XY code. Perhaps some sort of update will include it? Or is it truly Gen VII? That doesn't make much sense, either, if it's debuting in the same film that Volcanion is. We've barely got any info on Volcanion, so hinting at Gen VII already seems odd.
It's not just that nobody can find it, it just isn't there.

Hello! Been a long while since I was on BMGf, but enough about that for now.
I find this reveal intriguing because of Zygarde. Whether or not they will actually address its new formes in the games or not, and if so, does it mean a return trip to Kalos or does it mean a new region? In addition, how many Pokémon will be added to whatever core series game Game Freak puts out next? Depending on how they go about it, I feel like we might have to completely redefine the meaning of a "Generation" of Pokémon. Do you go by the amount of new Pokémon introduced, region, game mechanics and gameplay options/styles, some combination of the three?

Magiana probably wouldn't have thrown me for a loop as much as it did if it weren't for Zygarde 10% and Complete, not because Zygarde's new formes haven't made an appearance yet, but mostly to do with the fact that it's the main focus of the anime. I doubt they would leave us hanging without addressing the Order Pokémon in the next game, whatever it turns out to be.

I think there are evidences for both a fairy/steel and a psichyc/steel magiana.
Evidences for Fairy/Steel: it looks like diancy, the big pokeball on the lower part of its body looks like a dress, and most fairy type pokemons have a famale apearance. Its name seens to be a combination of magician/magic/mago + gear. It was said before that the "g" in magiana is hard, not soft, but it might be a mix of two words. The pokemons that have magician ability are fairy type, psychic type or evolve to a psychic type.
Evidences for Psychic/steel : It has a symbol on its forehead that looks like a third eye, a sign of psychic powers. Like i said before, Its name might come from magician+ gear , and pokemons with magician ability are fairy, psychic or evolve into psychic.

Personally, I think it could be a gen 7 Pokémon, but I highly doubt it. There is no way they'd skip making a third version or sequels. We've had one from the start, they're not just gonna give us XY and remakes and call it a day. A new gen comes out about every four years, and I think we'll be getting Z it whatever it's called this year and gen 7 later.

To be clear, this is a romanization of the Japanese name. This is the hard 'g' from gear", not the soft 'g' from "magic". If its name were from "magic", it would be romanized as "Majiana".
You can also tell it's the hard g sound because they're using the ギ character, not ジ. If the English name is revealed to be the same as the Japanese name, then it could also be the "ji" sound, like Genesect, where the name is the same in terms of romanization, but in English, it's pronounced "je" while in Japanese, it's pronounced "ge" (the hard g sound). But at the same time, probably not if that's the name origin, because Genesect's name origin is based on English words pronounced with the "j" sound, along with insect.

EDIT: The English name has been confirmed to be Magearna, which I suppose is the trademarked romanization of the マギアナ name as well. Now, I feel dumb.

Last edited:
Personally, I think it could be a gen 7 Pokémon, but I highly doubt it. There is no way they'd skip making a third version or sequels.

Except this time they have Yokai Watch 3 to contend with, and a 3rd version rehash might not cut it...

A new gen comes out about every four years, and I think we'll be getting Z it whatever it's called this year and gen 7 later.

Generations 1, 2, and 5 only lasted 3 years. So it could happen again.

If they dont want to face Youkai Watch, they would just release the game later.They work in the games years before theyre released, they wouldnt cancel it. There is Zygarde and its forms, they have to have a spotlight in the games. Magiana might be a gen 7 pokemon, but it doesnt mean gen 7 will be released this year, or even in 2017. Munchlax and ho-oh apeared more than a year before their generation release. Magiana might also be a gen 6 pokemon. In gen 6, for first time, they introduced new moves in middle gen, new abilities, so, why not new pokemon? We will have to redefine our concept of gen? Yeah, a new gen is when we have new starters, a new region, and many new pokemons. Just one pokemon or two arent a new gen. Its mentioned that it was abducted by Azoth kingdom. Azoth might be AZ true name, so it might be related to kalos history.

I don't usually watch the Pokemon movies but I really look forward to this one. I love Magiana! I want to know what its secret is too! Its design is so fabulous and I love its concept! An artificial Pokemon created 500 years ago that holds a secret. Sounds really interesting.

And its name in English is Magearna. I assume its name is a combination of Magic + Gear?

Some new information here: A New Mythical Pokémon Has Been Discovered! | Pokemon.com

Last edited:
I only came back to bring this up:
Source: Serebii
"Meanwhile, Cabinet Minister Jarvis from Azoth Kingdom, a city of super-machinery where gigantic cogwheels are constantly rotating, has obtained the ultimate invention he has been searching for for so many years. It was the artificial Pokémon Magearna, which was born in the kingdom 500 years ago but since went missing, as well as the unknown power called the "Soul Heart" said to reside inside Magearna."

Soul Heart.
Am I reading too much into it, or does anyone catch what I'm catching here?

I only came back to bring this up:
Source: Serebii
"Meanwhile, Cabinet Minister Jarvis from Azoth Kingdom, a city of super-machinery where gigantic cogwheels are constantly rotating, has obtained the ultimate invention he has been searching for for so many years. It was the artificial Pokémon Magearna, which was born in the kingdom 500 years ago but since went missing, as well as the unknown power called the "Soul Heart" said to reside inside Magearna."

Soul Heart.
Am I reading too much into it, or does anyone catch what I'm catching here?

Interesting! Now I wonder if that was the secret this whole time.. Now I'm curious what this "Soul Heart" is. :p

Interesting! Now I wonder if that was the secret this whole time.. Now I'm curious what this "Soul Heart" is. :p
My guess? Magearna is powered by Infinity Energy.
Project AZOTH anyone? Magma/Aqua hideout cabinet files.
Oh yeah...I didn't think anything of it at the time, but that could mean something huge.

Yeah, in project Azoth, team Aqua/Magma wanted to regain the tecnology AZ had to do the ultimate weapon and revert world to begginings. AZ must have been named based on Azoth kingdom, and the city from the movies should be the capital of Kalos. OR Kalos was a colony of Azoth Kingdom. In pokemon Z, Azoth Kingdom might be accessible.

Cool. So maybe Azoth Kingdom is located somewhere in southern Kalos. Or perhaps it's in an area located past Kalos' east border, and will be reachable from Couriway Station.

*blows dust off old account*

I'm of the belief that Magearna is a new Gen 6 Pokemon. No, it hasn't been found in the code, but I think that's the point. It'll be added to the games through an update.

"But Jeff!" I hear you say, "What about trading?"
An updated game would probably be able to detect that another game hasn't been updated before trying to trade Magiana, and would either not allow the trade, or send the update over as several games did with the RS Berry Glitch Fix back in the day.

"But Jeff!" I hear you say, "Why add it to the existing games rather than just save it for Gen 7?"
Because this is an event-exclusive pokemon, and it would make sense that its event would coincide with the new movie this summer. Gen 7 hasn't even been announced yet, and has little to no chance of coming out by then, so Magearna would have to be distributed to Gen 6 games.

"But Jeff!" I hear you say, "If they're adding event pokemon to games via patches now, does that mean..."
Yeah, I think we're going to see a new approach to them, and come Gen 7, there won't be any more spoilers, as they'll all be released through patches. Instead of having the event exclusives leaked as soon as they get datamined from the new gen games, we'll actually be surprised when they get announced. Actually, I'm surprised that they didn't do that with Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion in the first place, but I guess they were still a bit unsure about the idea of adding pokemon through patches back then.

Then again, it seems these days I only come around here when there's a new Gen approaching, so maybe my presence here is a sign of something. Or maybe not, after all, I was right about Unova being based on New York and Sylveon being a fairy type, before we even knew there was going to be a new type, so I could be right again. But for the record, I'd love to see Gen 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom