• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake in California, Arizona, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallflowerCanyon

Explore.
Reaction score
And yet another major earthquake....

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/americas/69-Earthquake-Strikes-Baja-California-89882237.html

A strong 6.9 magnitude earthquake has struck the western Mexico-U.S. border region.

The U.S. Geological Survey says Sunday afternoon's earthquake was centered in Baja California, just south of the border and 173 kilometers from Tijuana, Mexico. It was gauged to have occurred about 32 kilometers under the ground.

The earthquake was felt in Los Angeles, California, and as far east as Phoenix, Arizona. Residents of southern California are reporting a long, rolling quake that shook furniture and dishes. So far there have been no reports of serious injuries.

The USGS has recorded several mild aftershocks.

I had also heard that there was some people trapped in an elevator somehwere, and that Disneyland has shut down.

Haven't I said before that 2010 has been a geologically active year so far, including the Icelandic volcano from a couple weeks ago?

Re: And yet another major earthquake....

I have to say I'm starting to find it a little strange how recently there has been a fair few Earthquakes, granted the Tectonic Plates might have been very active recently or something (is it Tectonic Plates that cause Earthquakes? I swear it is, but it's been over two years since I've been to a Geography lesson xD).

I hope no one was seriously hurt in the Earthquake, anyhow.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/04/04/mexico.earthquake/index.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- A string of earthquakes and aftershocks rattled the Pacific Coast of the United States and Mexico on Sunday, including a magnitude 7.2 quake that could be felt across Baja California, Arizona and southern California, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

There were no immediate reports of injuries and only limited reports of damages from that quake, which struck at 3:40 p.m. PT about 175 kilometers (110 miles) east-southeast of Tijuana.

"We felt it for about 30 seconds. It was rolling," San Diego County Sheriff's Lt. Scott Ybarrondo told CNN. "Nothing fell off the walls here, but we have reports of pictures falling off walls elsewhere in the county."

iReport.com: Water comes out of pool in Hemet, California

The next-largest, a magnitude 4.1 quake, rattled windows nine minutes later in Santa Rosa, north of San Francisco. No damage was reported there, and Susan Potter, a USGS geophysicist, told CNN that was a separate quake from the one that struck in the Baja California desert.

Chandeliers swung and water sloshed around in swimming pools in the Los Angeles suburbs, witnesses reported, while posters to Twitter reported feeling the quake in Phoenix, Arizona.

iReport.com: Pots clang in San Diego, California, home

Capt. Steve Ruda, a spokesman for the Los Angeles city fire department, said there were "isolated" power outages and a few people reported trapped in elevators, but no injuries or structural damage was reported. The Baja California quake spawned at least five aftershocks, the largest of which was a magnitude 5.1, Potter said.

iReport.com: Damage in a bookstore in Palm Desert, California

(is it Tectonic Plates that cause Earthquakes? I swear it is, but it's been over two years since I've been to a Geography lesson xD).

Yep. 'Tis the movement of plates along a faultline that causes 'em. To be more accurate, stress builds up along faults as the plates are moving, and it's all that stress being released after several years of buildup that causes the actual earthquakes. And I believes it's geology, not geography. I've gotten that shit mixed up too.:cheers:

And I agree with you, I do find it a little strange... although it's a fact that several hundreds of smaller, lesser-known earthquakes occur around the globe, while these bigger ones don't occur as often. But it still feels a little strange to me...

EDIT: I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, because I had thought the Haitian and Chilean earthquake news were posted in the Soap Box (I think...:sweatlol:). But since earthquakes are science, I thought it would belong here.

And I believes it's geology, not geography.

Ahh, where I am, stuff like that is taught in the Geography Class.

Well, with all the quakes going on these days, I figured that area was next. Thankfully it wasn't too bad this time.

It's on CNN right now. Seems rough, and they say that there may be another one up to size 6 in a few days. 5% chance that it may be even biggger.

It must have been something to even rattle the heavens!

Jesus lives in Arizona.

Just when I thought we were FINALLY done with this earthquake business, ANOTHER one comes along. Thankfully it wasn't disastrous this time.

I felt it for a good 30 seconds or more here, but nothing violent. Glad there doesn't seem to be much damage.

Earthquakes in California. Big quake to be sure, but aren't my western neighbors used to it by now?

Ahh, where I am, stuff like that is taught in the Geography Class.

Really? Very interesting indeed...:naughty: If you don't mind me asking, why is that though? When I took those type of classes in junior high/high school, they usually put the geology stuff into a seperate science class.

More news:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2010-04/05/content_9686148.htm

TIJUANA, Mexico: A strong 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck in Baja California, Mexico, on Sunday, rocking buildings and panicking residents as far away as Tijuana and Los Angeles but there were no immediate reports of damage.

The major earthquake's preliminary magnitude of 6.9 has been raised though US Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones says the new magnitude of the 3:40 p.m. Sunday earthquake is still an estimate.

Some people were reported trapped in elevators, retaining walls had collapsed in some places and electricity was out in several parts of the Mexican state of Baja California, Alfredo Escobedo, the director of emergency services in the state, said.

The relatively shallow quake was centered in a lightly populated area in northeastern Baja California near the US border. Telephone communications were cut off with the border city of Mexicali, 30 miles (50 km) to the northwest of the epicenter near Guadalupe Victoria.

A Reuters witness in Tijuana, about 135 miles (200 km) away from the epicenter, said cars in a parking lot outside of a building could be seen jolting with the quake and a computer on her desk shook during the temblor.

"I'm shaking like a leaf ... the pool water was just going everywhere," said Jean Nelson in Indio, California, outside of Palm Springs, about 120 miles (190 km) away from the epicenter.

The quake was also felt about 200 miles (320 km) northwest in Los Angeles, witnesses said.

"Here it was just swinging nicely," said Nathalie Ruiz, a resident of a high-rise building in west Los Angeles. "It was not strong shaking, but it was very scary of course."

The quake struck at 15:40 p.m. Pacific time (2240 GMT) at a depth of 20 miles (32 km).

Multiple aftershocks were reported immediately after the quake including a 5.1 shock centered near the US-Mexico border in Imperial, California.

Really? Very interesting indeed...:naughty: If you don't mind me asking, why is that though? When I took those type of classes in junior high/high school, they usually put the geology stuff into a seperate science class.

I have no idea. I'm not a teacher xD

My family in San Diego felt it, but said it wasn't that bad.

Earthquakes in California. Big quake to be sure, but aren't my western neighbors used to it by now?

Yeah, it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I live in SoCal and felt it for at least 20 seconds. It wasn't strong at all, definitely not strong enough to do damage. The only way you would be able to feel it is if you sitting down/sitting still.

My brother and my mom were standing in the next room, and they didn't feel a thing. My dad was doing yard work outside and he didn't feel it either.

The news stations like to exaggerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom