• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: Need a Name Thread

It feels odd posting here, but I've been trying to think of a good name for an eight year old girl who has just lost her father to suicide. Anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited:
It feels odd posting here, but I've been trying to think of a meaningful name for an eight year old girl who has just lost her father to suicide. Anybody have anuany suggestions?

"meaningful" can be overrated. Starting out, a lot of writers like to use names laden with symbolism.
but whatever I'll give you some names:
Zelda (the "horrible person" option, anyone who gets the reference gets a cookie and my apology)
Susannah (just a cool name)
Felicity (means lucky, could mine drama from the girl NOT being lucky)
Gwen/Gwyneth (also sort of means lucky in its originating language)

It feels odd posting here, but I've been trying to think of a meaningful name for an eight year old girl who has just lost her father to suicide. Anybody have anuany suggestions?

"meaningful" can be overrated. Starting out, a lot of writers like to use names laden with symbolism.
but whatever I'll give you some names:
Zelda (the "horrible person" option, anyone who gets the reference gets a cookie and my apology)
Susannah (just a cool name)
Felicity (means lucky, could mine drama from the girl NOT being lucky)
Gwen/Gwyneth (also sort of means lucky in its originating language)
I guess meaningful wasn't the best word for what I had in mind. I just want something that makes sense for the character's age and situation, and it doesn't necessarily have to have "meaning," so to speak. I don't really need a deep, symbolic meaning: just something that doesn't contradict the situation I'm creating while still sounding nice.

Go for something very unremarkable and ordinary, then. Being affected by suicide can happen to anyone, so why not make that point by choosing an ordinary name?
... It's so simple it's genius! Thank you, I think I have a name already.

Protip. Watch a movie, pause partway through the credits, and pick a name. As good as any method if you want a random name.

Okay, I need a name for a Pokemon. Usually, I'm fine with calling Pokemon by their species, but there is the occasional main Pokemon I prefer to give a nickname to.

So, need a name for a Linoone. Basic personality/nature, just picture rabid mongoose that hisses a lot and will be the last thing you ever see if you accidentally wake it.

I'm looking for something similar to the stereotypical "high class" British English names popular during the 19th century. Things like Nigel and Victoria. I need two male names and a female name. I've thought of Roderick as one of the names, but I'm not sure it fits the stereotype very well.

Quick research into Jonty indicates it's a boy's name, usually short for Jonathan, or an Anglicized version of the Scottish Seantaigh, also a boy's name. Or can it really work both ways?

Edit: I've gone with the following names.

Roderick Anderhal, the father of the family
Victoria Anderhal, the mother
Jonathon "Jonty" Anderhal, the eldest son
Phillipa "Pippa" Anderhal, the eldest son's wife
Lilian "Leelee" Anderhal, the eldest daughter
William "Willum" Anderhal, the four year old son with speech issues, who earned his nickname because he can't say his own name.

I'll likely need more names of this style as time goes on, cause I'm about to do a massive (minor) character deluge.

Last edited:
Anyone have a good name for ground-type Pokemon? At the moment, I really need a name for a Stunfisk, but I'll need others eventually.

Thanks in advance!

Gaea is always popular, I guess. For more original ones you could go with Richter/Rick or some other earthquake pun.

Anyone have a good name for ground-type Pokemon? At the moment, I really need a name for a Stunfisk, but I'll need others eventually.

Thanks in advance!

What's the stunfisk's gender?

Not a name of a person or mon, but the name of a place, two places actually, two full regions.

Region 1: a region that is historically, culturally and aesthetically inspired by Russia and eastern Europe, as well as Baltic regions.

Region 2: a region that is historically, culturally and aesthetically inspired by Italy, possibly also Greece (Roman Empire-like in the distant past).

Region names could also definitely be accompanied by a naming convention theme, by which city and town names could be synthesized, like how Kanto's naming convention theme is colors.

Thanks!

Not a name of a person or mon, but the name of a place, two places actually, two full regions.

Region 1: a region that is historically, culturally and aesthetically inspired by Russia and eastern Europe, as well as Baltic regions.

Region 2: a region that is historically, culturally and aesthetically inspired by Italy, possibly also Greece (Roman Empire-like in the distant past).

Region names could also definitely be accompanied by a naming convention theme, by which city and town names could be synthesized, like how Kanto's naming convention theme is colors.

Thanks!

1. Slovo/Slova ("people who understand each other")
Location Names: czars, states, bodies of water, mountains, military arms/vehicles

2. Romita (rome + italia)
Location Names: the Pantheon, heroes, monsters, emperors, philosophers, real city-states, Greek letters

Very cheap and easy naming. If you want anything better I'm gonna need more info.

Gaea is always popular, I guess. For more original ones you could go with Richter/Rick or some other earthquake pun.

I've been thinking about going with Gaea for one team member, but it'd ultimately ruin my theme at the end of the story and would seem odd as "earth-deities" are not supposed to be present in the story. I am quite fond of the name Richter, though. Thanks~

What's the stunfisk's gender?

At the moment, the gender is not specified. It depends on what its name turns out to be, really.

Thanks!

Region One: Skaya, from "russkaya zemlya" an old name for the country. 'Ski and 'sky' are also common elements of surname from russian, czech and slavic areas.

Region Two: Cadis, from Arcadia, Arcadia being a hellenistic concept for paradise, as well as a real place in Greece.

Back
Top Bottom