• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers New Pokémon Snap

I will say, one of the few complaints I have about this game is the fact that I've found and photographed some of the quote on quote "secrets" (complete with unique dialogue for getting them) and then Prof Mirror or whoever will ask me to get said secrets as part of the Request system and it doesn't recognise that I've already done it so I have to do it again. :(

One thing I gotta admit that disappoints me is the fact that Kalos didn't even get one starter showing up in the game, then there's the rather disappointing Galar representation. I mean there's only 7 Galar Pokemon total.

I'm coming from the lucky position that my all-time favourite (Pinsir) is one of the stars of the show, but there's two things that make me comfortable about the size of the roster. For starters, the charm exhibited by almost all the species simply makes me glad to see them, even critters such as Bidoof (which I'm on the record as detesting prior to this); I want more, but the glass overwhelmingly feels half full.

Secondly, New Snap demonstrates the franchise increasingly making good on this idea of a model where the roster gets 'cycled' through, according to the needs of individual games. Main series titles such as Sword and Shield should always feature the full 'dex as far as I'm concerned, but now we have Let's Go, Snap, BDSP and Legends on the Switch, there's plenty of ways to have a substantial experience with your favourites even though each title only makes use of a specific selection (not to say that the exact distribution couldn't use some tinkering).

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity: do the player characters really not have any official names?

I thought that maybe it would default to something if you just didn't put in a name when you start, but I just checked again on a new user account and you can't leave it blank, it forces you to type one yourself. IIRC the images of them from the website are just named something like "player character" as well.

I guess it's not unheard of for some of the spinoff protagonists to not have names but it does seem a little bit odd to me this time around.

Just out of curiosity: do the player characters really not have any official names?

I thought that maybe it would default to something if you just didn't put in a name when you start, but I just checked again on a new user account and you can't leave it blank, it forces you to type one yourself. IIRC the images of them from the website are just named something like "player character" as well.

I guess it's not unheard of for some of the spinoff protagonists to not have names but it does seem a little bit odd to me this time around.
I did find that a bit odd. Not only that, but there seems to be very little use (if any at all) of your name, and you can actually change it. I think this is because the name is more for the online features. When I first started the game, the name it had displayed before was my Switch Profile name. Still, it's pretty weird.

I can't get over how incredible this game's graphics look. Serebii.net has a list of all the Pokemon that are in the game, and their models look so much more lifelike than they do in Let's Go or Sword and Shield. Not only is the shading more realistic but the poses are more natural too. I don't usually play the spin-offs but I may get this one at some point, especially now I know that my favourite Pokemon, Typhlosion, is in it.

Graphics aren't a huge deal to me, as long as the gameplay is fun. But I will be disappointed if Gen 9 doesn't look at least a little bit more like this.

Update. After logging in another 15 hours post the main story, I have officially registered every Pokemon to my photdex, and am 2/3rds of the way to registering the 4 different poses for each Pokemon. This game truly offers so much in terms of things to do. I am still nowhere near completing every quest, and I still have a lot to do for registering photos. It is actually insane how much content there is in this game. It blows the original one out of the water in terms of stuff to do.

Okay, this is coming from someone who likes the story in SwSh, but New Pokemon Snap has arguably a better story than SwSh. Without spoiling it, the whole idea initially wasn't all that intriguing to me, but the more I learned about it, and the more the Professor says, the more interested I was. But the story doesn't just go on around you as it has in games like SwSh, you witness some of it play before your eyes. While the actions are simple, some of your actions push the story forward. You push the story forward. (I may also be a bit biased because having an entire game's story that centers around researching Pokemon and ancient ruins is something I've wanted since forever)
Yep. It feels as if you're making actual discoveries, which is rare in the main series - especially nowadays. The cast help you figure out what's going on, but there's no info dump.

The lore is similar to the Delta Episode, but rather than being about people worshipping a legendary and meteors randomly empowering Pokemon, you have a group of mysterious Illumina Pokemon led by Xerneas (it must have given them eternal life) saving the day together. That's a lot more elegant in my opinion, and the ending with Prof. Mirror not understanding that the Pokemon actually like getting attention from the protagonist is cute.

I liked this game's story. It wasn't Oscar-worthy, but as you said, it made good use of environmental storytelling, and the characters were entertaining enough. This is the first Pokémon game I've seen where the story happens during gameplay, rather than between it.

I liked this game's story. It wasn't Oscar-worthy, but as you said, it made good use of environmental storytelling, and the characters were entertaining enough. This is the first Pokémon game I've seen where the story happens during gameplay, rather than between it.
Makes sense that the story happens during gameplay since you are taking pictures of things that are relevant to the story, like the ruins, the Crystalblooms, and the Illumina Pokemon.

I like the freedom the game provides. For example, it hardly ever forces you to advance with the story, even when new story objectives and areas are unlocked. At one point, they even unlock two new islands at once, and you're free to explore them in any order you want. And the research levels, different times of day, and the fact that you need to take 800+ photos to complete the Photodex add so much sense of exploration and discovery into the game.

Welp, finally done with Snap for now, I think. Put 65 hours into it by completing all the requests and snapping photos of all the Vivillon patterns. I love how expressive all the Pokemon are, and it makes me wish we had more of it in the main series games.

I'll probably wait a bit before I go for 100% Photodex completion, since I'm kind of burnt out from playing. I'm about 75% done with it so far, with mostly legendaries and some of the rarer poses left. I want to try and see if I can get full diamond rank on all my pictures too.

And maybe if I stop being lazy and take out my Switch's SD card sometime, I can actually try and upload some cool photos here although they're mostly wooper and drifloon pics

I actually gave up on this. It was really fun to see the Pokemon in their natural habitats, but the level based thing felt really grindy, especially when you were looking for one specific shot. I quit it for a while, picked it back up when my next level was the Illumina Volcarona and that was one of the worst levels in the game, IMO. I'll probably pick it back up, but it'll be a while.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom