• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

The Mad cap (originally called Mysterious Hat) from the original Famicom/NES version of Dragon Quest II is a reason Pokémon has the trade mechanic.

Ken Sugimori lucked into finding two of them, and Tajiri was jealous as he had trouble finding this elusive headwear.

Remakes for the reference made one more easy to obtain by chest whereas otherwise it's a rare item drop from some monsters.

Last edited:
The French translations refer to gym leaders as "arena champions", and the Pokémon Champion as "Master". Therefore, in the French dub, when it comes to Ash's goal and when he refers to it as he wants to become a "Pokémon master", it sounds like he wants to become a Pokémon Champion as his ultimate goal.

The French translations refer to gym leaders as "arena champions", and the Pokémon Champion as "Master". Therefore, in the French dub, when it comes to Ash's goal and when he refers to it as he wants to become a "Pokémon master", it sounds like he wants to become a Pokémon Champion as his ultimate goal.
So, all those headlines back then were accidental truths?

Since my last post in the thread: Pokémon - Dragon Quest Wiki

Pokémon material in Smash, but mostly done courtesy of trivia I found on other DQ articles, plus shared casting courtesy of imdb and Bulbapedia confirmation on some character articles.

The English actors for the reference did voice work for Dragon Quest Your Story.

I started watching Pokemon original series just a month ago ,but they haven't solved the mysteries of G.S ball. Anyone who knows about it answer me ......

I started watching Pokemon original series just a month ago ,but they haven't solved the mysteries of G.S ball. Anyone who knows about it answer me ......
It was going to hold Celebi, however, they decided to do Pokémon 4 Ever later, scrapping that plot point and they hoped we would forget about that.

They translated all that but didn’t translate "Pokemon Master"?

Interesting note, the episode Poke Ball Peril was storyboarder by a person named Kiyoshi Kobayashi. However, when I try to type it up on Google, it shows the Japanese voice actor of the same name. I am not 100% confirmed it's the same person, though.

In the Oak lecture for EP153, there's a preview for the Pikachu & Pichu short where Misty's Poliwhirl is drawn as a Poliwrath. The error was caught and fixed before the film's actual release, though.

EP153
OCqJGe7.png

Final
egcRjPi.png

Last edited:
Time to throw my hat into the ring.

I was the one who discovered XY138 on Canada's Shaw on Demand. The episode had not yet aired on Teletoon and would only be released on iTunes 10 days later. I believe this is the only episode to premiere on a Canadian "on Demand" service.

Something else I remember is when Teletoon re-aired Battle Frontier episodes back in 2015, AG158's episode title card retained an error that had the words typed over twice. This was present in the DVD releases but not in the Cartoon Network airings.

In the Oak lecture for EP153, there's a preview for the Pikachu & Pichu short where Misty's Poliwhirl is drawn as a Poliwrath. The error was caught and fixed before the film's actual release, though.

EP153
OCqJGe7.png

Final
egcRjPi.png
Another mixup involving the Poliwag line: The Pokerap infamously showed a picture of Poliwag for Poliwrath's scene.

I'm pretty sure these are well known but here's a few facts.

- Charmander's infamous scream from the first episode of Pokemon Origins was omitted from the English dub.

- The first Pokemon film, Mewtwo Strikes Back, was revised and reanimated numerous times before it was completely remade with CG and released as "Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution."

- Admittedly this one I haven't been able to confirm but allegedly the reason why Pokemon Generations was initially produced exclusively in English was because Pokemon Origins was more popular overseas.

Back
Top Bottom