• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

From the official site:

> “The Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! video game is based on Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, which was first released on Nintendo's portable Game Boy system in Japan in 1998. Like the setting of that classic RPG adventure, this game takes place in the Kanto region. It's amazing to see how it has visually evolved after 20 years.”

I’ve actually been replaying FRLG lately and it’s literally just what was shown in the trailer except flat. If that’s their definition of “amazing visual evolution after 20 years”...

Last edited:
I don't want to start an argument because LG is a spiny topic but the amount of information they gave about ORAS early was this level bad. I guess that's the main difference between "I don't care about this game such lackluster news" and "I wanna get ORAS asap I don't care if the news are lackluster". One of the first things we saw about ORAS was how beautiful Hoenn was in 3D, the same they have done with Kanto today.

If you don't like this game is totally fine, of course! But the bias is pretty bad, to be fair.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong, I understand what this game is and that ORAS will still have more content. But I don't get why acting like if ORAS pre-release info was something of outer planet because aside of DexNav, soaring, the new Mega Evolutions and spoiling the Delta Episode a few weeks prior the launch they gave us nothing different we have seen from LG today.

LGPE is not even in ORAS' league. It is not even FRLG tier, from what we know sofar.

Last edited:
I was just scrolling through youtube, and was like "oh new trailer, cool." So I watched it, and oh boy did it reawaken the hype. Like I've probably said before, I really think these games a re cool, just because they can help get more people into the franchise, and I personally don't mind going back to Kanto much because I've never completed a Kanto game.

But the trailer was just pretty cute, until I saw that you can ride on a freaking Arcanine. Oh my gosh, I had a lot of dreams as a child, with Pokemon in them. 2 of my dream Pokemon to have were a Charizard, and an Arcanine, simply because being able to ride on their backs would be amazing. Im just so stoked for that.

Customization being back is great (though right now it seems much more limited. I would hope they bring some more, but it's not like a make or break for me right now. It is definitely a staple I expect for the 2019 game though).

I think I am sold on Let's Go Pikachu for my first playthrough of the game. I did say though that I would porbably only buy Let's Go Pikachu. But the more gameplay I see, the more I want to get Let's Go Eevee as well. I will say though, if I do get it, it will be a couple months after the games release, hopefully with a price drop. Playing with Eevee is a cute idea, and I really have always wanted to. But here it goes again the childhood dreams of having my own Pikachu to sit on my shoulder. Watching this trailer just brought back so many memories of my childhood, and it makes me just eel all warm and fuzzy inside. Yes, I would prefer a new game, but I am fie with waiting another whole year if we have this to tide us over for a while.

I’ve actually been replaying FRLG lately and it’s literally just what was shown in the trailer except flat. If that’s their definition of “amazing visual evolution after 20 years”...

Now this is a very reductive statement that doesn’t give credits where they are due.

True, the setting of Let’s Go is exactly like in Red/Blue/Yellow and Fire Red/Leaf Green, but you can’t deny that the graphics are vastly different and have greatly improved with the advance of technology and videogame hardware. There is a very evident evolution in the way in which everything transited from simple black and white sprites to very colorful and visually pleasant HD models, which is what it’s meant with the “20 years of evolution” remark.

I personally find myself much more invested in the stunning graphics of these games, since they have a great charm overall, but that may be just me.

Nice trailer, the music sounds fantastic. Kanto's enviroment also looks clean, very vibrant and lively. I'm also glad to see character customization makes a return after all! On top of that all the expected and needed online trading and battling have been confirmed. Now with the certainty of that all these basic features in the game, I anticipate the next trailer will focus either on the story, or will reveal some cool new things.

One of the first things we saw about ORAS was how beautiful Hoenn was in 3D, the same they have done with Kanto today.

The thing is though, Hoenn was already a pretty fleshed-out region. There’s really not much wasted space there; the only false buildings are one in Mauville, one in Slateport, and then several in Sootopolis that are forgivable because Sootopolis has a good amount of enterable buildings anyway.

But yet somehow, 22 years later, the new map for Kanto shows that Saffron City still seems to consist predominantly of false buildings. For them to tout that as an amazing visual evolution is pathetic.

More importantly, there’s also the matter of what’s expected from the console. ORAS looked pretty good for the 3DS (here’s the first trailer). But the Switch is vastly more powerful than the 3DS, and yet all they can get it to do for FRLG is what the 3DS did for ORAS, without even filling in the empty buildings?

True, the setting of Let’s Go is exactly like in Red/Blue/Yellow and Fire Red/Leaf Green, but you can’t deny that the graphics are vastly different and have greatly inproved with the advance of technology and videogame hardware. There is a very evident evolution in the way in which everything transited from simple black and white sprites to very colorful and visually pleasant HD models, which is what it’s meant with the “20 years of evolution” remark.

I know full well what they “meant.” Obviously they’re not going to say, “These games just look alright!” But that’s just your standard self-congratualtory PR statement. Realistically, these graphics are only slightly above 3DS-tier, and when the Switch can handle things like BOTW, Xenoblade, or even Pokkén if we want to keep comparisons closer to home, saying it can graphically imitate the 3DS and give us a plasticine replica of FRLG with no actual substantial improvements to the region is about as exciting as watching a damp rag hit the floor.

Of course, I should emphasize that this isn’t surprising, since these games are so clearly just a time-biding side-venture that they whipped up in two years to cash in on GO’s success.

I don't understand why they're forcing the support player to be of the opposite gender if customization exists. Add that to my confusion about the starter being picked from a table with three Poke Balls, and S.S. Anne being able to travel under the now land-based Route 17 (Cycling Road).

Plubio said:
But I don't get why acting like if ORAS pre-release info was something of outer planet because aside of DexNav, soaring, the new Mega Evolutions and spoiling the Delta Episode a few weeks prior the launch they gave us nothing different we have seen from LG today.
It's different, but I have to agree that it wasn't better. Let's see what ORAS had given us by mid-July (other than the map and visual details):

1. Five Mega Evolutions (Sceptile, Swampert, Diancie, Sableye and Metagross) and two Primals
2. Cosplay Pikachu (not Contests yet)
3. Super Secret Bases (an expansion of an old feature)
4. Artwork for many old characters

For LGPE we have:

1. Go catching, Poke Ball Plus and Go Park
2. New Pokemon teaser
3. Following Pokemon and riding Pokemon
4. Trainer and starter customization
5. Support Play
6. Hint of Cinnabar Volcano (it's much more prominent than before)
7. Artwork for some characters (Oak, Trace, Brock and Misty)

Your opinions about these features are naturally subjective, but LGPE do have more new things going for them at this point unless you really liked Mega Evolution. The actual problem at hand is that LGPE simplify the mechanics and overall Pokemon roster rather than retaining the essential features, which previous remakes did. That, and Kanto didn't need another set of remakes when sequels allow for much more flexibility.

Last edited:
The most interesting part of tonight's news is the kanto map you could see all the details like how the viridian gym seems to lack the ledge and the back walking area and how the cinnibar island now sports a volcano and celadon still has the game corner and prize house side by side. Also cerulean still has the bike shop.
slider-01.jpg

I wonder if the Game Corner would fly as long as the player couldn't actually participate in it? That's how it worked in the European version of Platinum, I believe.

From the official site:

> “The Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! video game is based on Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, which was first released on Nintendo's portable Game Boy system in Japan in 1998. Like the setting of that classic RPG adventure, this game takes place in the Kanto region. It's amazing to see how it has visually evolved after 20 years.”

Indeed, this is literally just remaking the same ol' Kanto in Generation VI 2.5D style in HD. It's not impressive at all. It might have flown on the 3DS, but not on a system that has Breath of the Wild.

There's no actual attempt to reimagine the region in a 3D environmental framework. Like I can forgive OR/AS for not doing that... But I can't forgive a remake of Kanto - which has already been remade before - over 20 years later on the Switch looking like this. It is so cheap. Such a disappointment to someone like me who actually dreamed of seeing a Kanto in 3D back in Gen I. This Kanto wouldn't have impressed me even back then. It's not really even 3D, it's 2.5D.

Well they gave Eevee a special gender difference for this. So... Yay?

It's cute. Would be nice if the gender ratios are changed for Eevee so female ones are much more common.

Add that to my confusion about the starter being picked from a table with three Poke Balls

Maybe #3 is the Special Pokémon

and S.S. Anne being able to travel under the now land-based Route 17 (Cycling Road).

If team plasma can make a flying ship then so can we goddammit

When they say "ride SELECT Pokemon" what do they mean? Is it just about the size thing? Like, you get to ride on all larger Pokemon, period? Or did they pick several specific large Pokemon to be ridable (eg. Lapras, Arcanine, Onix)? And, if it's a select few, will all the fully evolved Kanto Starters be included? Or will this be another case of Charizard favoritism? Which, at this point, has gotten so stupidly ridiculous words can't even express. Like, fine, we can ride Charizard. But what I want to know is if you can also ride on Venusaur's back or surf on Blastoise's shell.

In terms of the Kanto/Hoenn comparison, the two situations may be empirically similar, but Hoenn as a region hasn't been visited nearly as many times as Kanto has. Hoenn was playable only in Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire. Only three different times. Kanto, on the other hand, has been playable in Red/Green, Blue, Red/Blue, Yellow, Gold/Silver, Crystal, FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and now again in Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. That's the main difference. In addition, some people feel that Gen VI and VII (although Kanto itself wasn't playable) went overboard with catering to Kanto, what with the Kanto Starters and Mewtwo receiving Megas over any Kalos Pokemon in Gen VI and only Kanto Pokemon getting Alolan forms in Gen VII. Basically, people are sick of all the attention Kanto gets. They aren't sick of Hoenn (or any other region, for that matter.)

Personally, I'm not one of those people. I love some of the Pokemon introduced in Kanto and will never tire of them. Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Vulpix are staples for me. This will never change. The region is bland, sure, but eh...I don't mind it so much. And personally I prefer Kanto's lack of story to Unova's shit story, Kalos' convoluted one, or Alola's overbearing one. I'm not 100% happy with all the changes (Really? Friendly Rival? FUCKING REALLY?) but I'm down for this game more than others, it seems.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom