• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title is indeed misleading. All the article points out is there are 2 teams: One labeled "Team 1" and the other named "Team 2". The uses the idea that since 'Team 1' is for Project Gear and 'Team 2' is for Pokemon, Pokemon is de-emphasized, just because it is number 2 and not number 1.

...Which I call a total lapse in logic if I ever heard one. :p

Yeah the "prioritizing" is being very misused in that title- doesn't help that this article is a rehash of another article, which uses the word more appropriately- Pokemon’s Game Freak ‘prioritising’ original game projects

"Pokémon developer Game Freak is increasingly prioritising original game creation, in order to grow the experience of its staff. "

Pokemon clearly isn't being given the backseat, they're just using other projects to experiment so Pokemon can benefit from the experience. It's a much better approach than experimenting on it directly. Ultimately, what they're really prioritizing here is the learning aspect.

Last edited:
Yep. The title was there to simply gain attention. They just want to make people read the article. That doesn't always work, based on how many misinterpretations we're getting. Writers do this all the time, to make their article look more captivating (as a writer, I even have to do this sometimes). Using the names Team 1 and Team 2 doesn't even show that one Team has priority, it's simply a number.

Wait... I think I just realized why they are calling their Pokémon Team n2 and the original projects team n1.

I think they're using some weird backwards Japanese logic where:

"since number 2 comes after number 1, it means that Team number 1 is a stepping stone for reaching the more experienced Team number 2."

Last edited:
So let me understand...how many teams are there in the end?
I've always thought there were just two: one focusing on s/m and sw/sh and the other focusing on usum and let's go. Now we know someone worked on sw/sh, someone else on let's go and a third team who worked on Town?
I mean, there are like 300 people in GF and they split them in two teams and then they split these teams in smaller teams?
How many people worked on sw/sh, like 60/300? Why don't they hire 500 more people if they want to create so many games instead of letting Ohmori alone programming stuff like "where's the hiker?"?

Even if the title is misleading, it still doesn't reflect well for SwSh. The issue with SwSh isn't so much a lack of new ideas, Game Freak's made a lot of changes to the formula with things like Megas, Z-Moves, removing HMs, and Go capture mechanics, I have little doubt they'll come up with something to keep things fresh. The issue is a lack of resources/effort, console games usually carry higher expectations in terms of production values (and by extension, graphics, world design, content, etc.) and SwSh don't seem to be much of a step forward in those areas, and this approach is actually detrimental. Game Freak should either be all hands on deck for this game or massively hiring to compensate, as it takes larger development teams to really produce the kind of AAA experience people are looking for out of a console Pokemon experience.

Even if the title is misleading, it still doesn't reflect well for SwSh. The issue with SwSh isn't so much a lack of new ideas, Game Freak's made a lot of changes to the formula with things like Megas, Z-Moves, removing HMs, and Go capture mechanics, I have little doubt they'll come up with something to keep things fresh. The issue is a lack of resources/effort, console games usually carry higher expectations in terms of production values (and by extension, graphics, world design, content, etc.) and SwSh don't seem to be much of a step forward in those areas, and this approach is actually detrimental. Game Freak should either be all hands on deck for this game or massively hiring to compensate, as it takes larger development teams to really produce the kind of AAA experience people are looking for out of a console Pokemon experience.
I was just joking, honestly. I'm sure a lot of people worked on sw/sh (not as many as it should but more than let's go and usum for sure). About the need to hire new poeple, I agree. They should start considering pokemon for the massive product it is.
I can understand that the anime, the movies, the cards game have big competitors. But pokemon games sell so well it's just difficult to understand why they don't improve their budget and team, why they don't invest much more money in the game department...I mean, the fact that a game director had to program one of most important features of gen 7 all alone because he had no one helping him is a bit absurd considering we are talking about a huge franchise.

NEWS FOR POKEMON MOVIE THAT IS A REMAKE OF OLD POKEMON MOVIE!!!

literally nothing new, it's basically teh exact same movie, but in 3D and armor changes so Mewtwo looks like one of the many MewThree fanarts drawn by all the 'clever' kids in the 90s

surprisedpikachu.jpg

They're advertising the movie for kids who know little about it. Deal with it, especially if you chose not to care about the brand new movie that recently came out.

Bolt the Cat said:
Game Freak's made a lot of changes to the formula with things like Megas, Z-Moves, removing HMs, and Go capture mechanics, I have little doubt they'll come up with something to keep things fresh.
I don't think that optional gimmicks like Megas and Z-moves make things fresh. Not during the main story, anyway.

Totems are a better example, which is why the new gyms shouldn't just be gyms.

So let me understand...how many teams are there in the end?
I've always thought there were just two: one focusing on s/m and sw/sh and the other focusing on usum and let's go. Now we know someone worked on sw/sh, someone else on let's go and a third team who worked on Town?
I mean, there are like 300 people in GF and they split them in two teams and then they split these teams in smaller teams?
How many people worked on sw/sh, like 60/300? Why don't they hire 500 more people if they want to create so many games instead of letting Ohmori alone programming stuff like "where's the hiker?"?
Reminds me of my former workplace- apparently after I left, they split the department into two units, one unit worked on just one product family while the other unit was in charge of everything else.

I think you're regarding it the wrong way... they are using Project Gear to build up the experience of their developers. That "lack of effort" isn't a lack of effort at all? It's a lack of experience that will improve by having this team work as an experimental sandbox. This learning opportunity would allow them to improve the skills for creating graphics, designing the world, and adding new content by creating these other games without the pressure that is their massive popular franchise, and they will bring back what they learn from working on these other projects to improve Pokemon as a result. This isn't a detrimental approach at all.

It doesn't have to take a ton of people to make something good- those larger development teams may not have even had the most skilled people working on them. But if you put a bunch of less skilled people together, they could make something just as great as a single skilled person could. Game Freak is just focusing on developing the skills of its people over resorting to throwing together a million monkeys to try to write Shakespeare in a day.

Also there is such thing as having too many fingers in a pie.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my former workplace- apparently after I left, they split the department into two units, one unit worked on just one product family while the other unit was in charge of everything else.

I think you're regarding it the wrong way... they are using Project Gear to build up the experience of their developers. That "lack of effort" isn't a lack of effort at all? It's a lack of experience that will improve by having this team work as an experimental sandbox. This learning opportunity would allow them to improve the skills for creating graphics, designing the world, and adding new content by creating these other games without the pressure that is their massive popular franchise, and they will bring back what they learn from working on these other projects to improve Pokemon as a result. This isn't a detrimental approach at all.

It doesn't have to take a ton of people to make something good- those larger development teams may not have even had the most skilled people working on them. But if you put a bunch of less skilled people together, they could make something just as great as a single skilled person could. Game Freak is just focusing on developing the skills of its people over resorting to throwing together a million monkeys to try to write Shakespeare in a day.
While I may agree with some of the things you said, the fact the they need more people is just obvious. They make a game every year (this year probably more than one or two) and they just don't have enough people...even if the people they have are super skilled, they just cannot split themselves into more projects. For example, when Ohmori programmed the trials in s/m if he had 30 more programmers with him, he could have just told 15 of them how he wanted the trials to be like and then he, with the other 15 programmers, could focus on something else (like, for example, a decent post game).
I mean, we could not get the fire trial worse than it already is, right?

How do you people think the rest of the Switch generation gonna play out for Pokemon?
2018 - Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee
2019 - Sword/Shield
2020 - Lets Go Johto
2021 - Break
2022 - Gen 9 games
2023 - Gen 4 remakes

I think Lets Go Johto is out next year. I think the LGPE team is already on that, cause they want to strike the Pokemon Go Iron while it's hot. It's also the last pokemon games of the pokemania era, so I think they'll be the last Lets Go games, as well.
If that holds true, that leaves Gen 4 remakes in a tough spot. Will GF remake three pokemon games in the same generation? I just don't know. Which is too bad since Platinum is my favourite Pokemon game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom